Leopardized Mustang

I bought a motor for my boat, but since the bearings of the Velineon 380 are pretty noisy, I decided to try the Leopard in the Mustang waiting for the new bearings to arrive in the mail.
    To be sure it gets enough amps, I decided to couple it to my new ESC. in the future for a different project, but I want to know how it works.

Nobody is born with experience.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Nice! Have you put any power to that Leopard system? I'm curious as to how well it runs. Ive heard some good things so far.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

I did a little testing on 2S and so far it looks very promising. Runs quite smooth feels powerful. Since it's still pretty cold and wet outside I'm not able to do much testing. When the weather allows it, I will do more tests on 2S and 3S.
    Motor should be good for 800W, which is quite some more than you need in a Mustang. The ESC is of course overkill (120A on 4S), but since it fits under the hood easily, I will keep using it for a while, until I have time and room for my LCG project. Still not sure if that will be my Pede being changed or just a new build. I paid $45 for the motor and $75 for the ESC.

Since I have a car under way that uses a Spektrum based system, I decided to accept a good deal together with a DX3C. I got some very cheap receivers for the Traxxas cars. So far those seem to work amazingly well. In my boat there is also a Spektrum receiver, so I am able to control all the non-air stuff with one single transmitter.
    Last edited by Petertje60; 02-26-2013 at 12:33 PM.

RC Champion
    Leopard are pretty good in the 1/16 scale. I have seen some Nasty MERVs with Leopard power, probably not the same setup, but yeah. this is still a sensorless setup right?
    Everything overpowered...

Quote Originally Posted by QYKSLVR View Post
    Leopard are pretty good in the 1/16 scale. I have seen some Nasty MERVs with Leopard power, probably not the same setup, but yeah. this is still a sensorless setup right?
    Yup. Sensorless 4 pole. Motor is 4420Kv, so that is 10% more RPM than the Velineon and in real life even more because the motor is a lot stronger. I get some slight cogging if I start real slow, but that is not too bad. After 5 minutes testing motor and ESC were still cold.

For those who think the motor is a direct fit, that only goes for the size indeed, which is exactly the same as the Velineon. The motor shaft is a 4 mm tho, so you need to make that 3mm or drill out gears. Since I want to try different gearing, I made the shaft 3 mm.

RC Champion
    Id maybe even like to try some new pinions.

RC Champion
    Any video?
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

Id maybe even like to try some new pinions.
    I certainly will. I dont have much 48P around anymore, because I gave most of them away when selling the little guy's Rustler, but I still got a 31T somewhere. It looks like this combo will easily get the car forward with 45/31.

Quote Originally Posted by Dknuckles View Post
    Any video?
    No, not yet. It's still too close to freezing point outside (0 C). I hate the way everything gets brittle with lower temps.

Very nice system. I like it alot. Love'n the looks of it too... Thatd be a good ESC for the Pede. Up to 4S and waterproof. Very nice indeed!

Now you just need to dye that chassis
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

Quote Originally Posted by AbSoLooT1 View Post
    Very nice system. I like it alot. Love'n the looks of it too... Thatd be a good ESC for the Pede. Up to 4S and waterproof. Very nice indeed!

Now you just need to dye that chassis
    Haha. Dye the chassis.... that won't happen. My cars are to drive with more than to look at
    The Pede has the MMP/2650. Maybe I will put the 2400 in the Pede and pair the Leopard with the 2650.

RC Champion
    If u can, swap that MMP out for an MMM :P

Yea that ESC is stupid silly for this platform. SV2/SCT are plenty.

But it would be a very good look for someone going with a red theme. Wink LooT

Id love to dye my chassis' too, but that means downtime of not playing with it! cant do it lol

If u can, swap that MMP out for an MMM :P

Yea that ESC is stupid silly for this platform. SV2/SCT are plenty.
    $250 is a normal price for a MMM V2 in the Netherlands. No way that I am going to pay that much for an ESC which I will never use on more than 4S. A Sidewinder V3 is even way more expensive than this ESC. Better a silly ESC for a good price than a good ESC for a silly price

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    Better a silly ESC for a good price than a good ESC for a silly price
    If there was room in my signature =(

I wasnt necessarily meaning grab a new one though. (Idk how good the used market is over there)

for $250 u could have a whole MMM/2200 system..

If there was room in my signature =(

I wasnt necessarily meaning grab a new one though. (Idk how good the used market is over there)

for $250 u could have a whole MMM/2200 system..
    If I can get a new ESC for $75, considering the Castle prices in the Netherlands, I can't be bothered with a used Castle ESC.
    There is a R/C meeting today, so it will be put to the test.

RC Champion
    Let us know how she purrs. (punn intended)

After an afternoon on the indoor track at the meeting of the local club, I can say this combo beats the stock set by far. Tons of torque and much more braking power, even when having the brake power only at 50%. Both motor and ESC stayed cool. I only have to find a better way to mount the ESC, because it came lose pretty easy after bumping into other cars. If it is dry tomorrow I will do some testing on 3S. Today I only used 2S and I was hardly able to go full throttle.

RC Champion
    This was inside? Hardly WOT, was is wet, or moist??

This was inside? Hardly WOT, was is wet, or moist??
    It was inside a sports hall and the doors were open every now and then, so it was not too warm. Long straight was about 30m (100ft).

RC Champion
    Did u show-up, or surprise anyone you didnt think you would?

Did u show-up, or surprise anyone you didnt think you would?
    I got some reactions which I expected.
    "Man, that is a 1/8 scale ESC?!" "Uhuh. But it fits nice, is waterproof and will never get hot"
    "Was that full throttle?" "Nah, maybe half or less"

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    "Man, that is a 1/8 scale ESC?!" "Uhuh. But it fits nice, is waterproof and will never get hot"
    "Was that full throttle?" "Nah, maybe half or less"
    Thats what I like to hear! Was it mostly TCs/VTAs on the course? And what wt u have in the shocks etc

Thats what I like to hear! Was it mostly TCs/VTAs on the course? And what wt u have in the shocks etc
    Ermm. I'm Dutch you know. What are TCs/VTAs? Shocks are GTRs with the oil that came with them. No idea about the weight. Springs have quite some preload.

I have used the Boss mainly to drift a bit together with my buddy on the asphalt around the corner here.
    When I want to improve laptimes, I would need more grip on the carpet. For those few times I am using it there, I can't be bothered to optimize it further for that kind of tracks. It's just fun to be able to go around with a reasonable speed.
    There were two guys with buggy like cars who were flying around, especially through the corners. On the straight I could keep up with them and from a good exit out of the last corner, I was even faster.

RC Champion
    haha Im sorry mate, TC= Touring Cars and VTA=Vintage Trans-Am.

Arent belted slicks/slicks or pin tires usually best for carpet?

Awesome that it was "holding it's own" though.

Ah ok. I think pin type thread would work best on the carpet which was used. On the other hand, my car suffered least from the duct tape that was used to keep the carpet pieces together.
    I think I was the only touring car type driving around. There were a few drifters on the drift track, but drifting at 10 mph with the help of a gyro is not my thing.

RC Champion
    I drift my rally, but gyro-less. Just like a real car, just grab slicker tires and GO!

I drift my rally, but gyro-less. Just like a real car, just grab slicker tires and GO!
    That is how I like it. And at speeds above 10mph
    Weather is improving here, so I will be trying it with the other tires soon and see what it does on 3S. I see long powerslides in the nearby future

RC Champion
    Videos or bust too!

Videos or bust too!
    I need more time before the sun goes down. After getting dinner ready and the little guy to soccer training, it was already too dark. When I have a vid, I will certainly share it.

RC Champion
    Please do!

I went out yesterday and drove it shortly on both 2S and 3S. It was way too cold (around 1-2C) to make a vid. In fact it was so cold that it probably helped to give me the flu.
    My buddy drove his car with the Velineon set and we could notice the Leopard combo was more powerful and it did its work seemingly without any effort. Of course the temp helped to keep the combo cool, but even after some WOT fooling around on 3S the motor was still cold.
    I ordered a set of tires with some grip to see what it does speedwise on 2S and 3S.
    I hope the cold is gone by the time I get those tires in the mail.

Wheels and tires came in the mail a while ago, but there was no time to do some testwork. Today (we have 2 Easter days and the Monday after is always a day off for everyone) I went out for some testing on the parking lot here.
    The new tires work great. They even made some sort of squealing sound in fast corners. Very cool. Sadly I ran over a piece of wood with a few somersaults as result.

Damage report:

RC Champion
    I did the same thing yesterday =/

Lol. I ordered an extra set already (can't be bothered much with such a price: $9.99). So now I have 3 spares to survive the cold brittle plastic days...
    My buddy ruined his Camaro body which has cost him a little fortune (around $70).

RC Champion
    Luckily mine were drift tires, and unglued (just on inserts) on the wheels so a little finesse with the hobby knife and I switch two of them over to some of the same wheels in white instead of chrome, and a 3mm offset instead of 9mm. (This is on a 4tec "drifter" mind you, so the offset mind sound far at first. but I am using a 200mm body) But I too also have 3 spares lol, 2 white and 1 chrome now.

After being busy with my Pede and mini Summit lately, I decided to see how the Mustang did with my new set of wheels and grippy tires without having my dangerous buddy around. With 6 lipo cells on board (don't worry...2 x 3 parallel), I gave it a try.

The sun seemed to have warmed up the tarmac, because I had tons of grip. Taking off with a little heavy throttle finger even resulted in tiny wheelies. I didn't try a full throttle because backflips with a Mustang body is not the best idea.
    The speed was very impressive. Maybe I will do some logged speed running sometime, but it felt like going 60mph without too much effort.

Result: big grin on my face, tons of ooohhhhs and aaaaahhhhhs from the spectators
    Hardware check: luke warm motor, luke warm ESC, a few extra scratches and dents in the body, one body clip gone.

It feels great to be an addicted old fart.