Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    Haha I don't think my mom would ever let me do something like that in our kitchen oven

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "That don't make NO sense!"

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by seanycool View Post
    Haha I don't think my mom would ever let me do something like that in our kitchen oven

Yeah his would have made a mess inside an oven, he let his melt waaay too much. We made our former is much thinner than his so it fits in the oven better.
    - Custom 1/10 BJ Baldwin TT - SCT410 - Mini Slash

RC Qualifier
    Alright I made a little more progress with the wood cage. The top tubes connecting the back should be a little steeper. I'm going to have to move the rear piece up higher which will also have some more axle clearance.

RC Qualifier
    Can't. See. Pics. Panic.

RC Competitor
    looks good so far keep it up

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by quadsatv View Post
    looks good so far keep it up
    It's getting there. I'm plan on cutting the chassis this weekend. I'll get what I have mounted up, but I still have to order the rest of the parts for the front end. I finally got a new servo to replace the slow Savox one, I just need to order the parts to mount it.

I haven't checked on it recently, how's you build going?

RC Competitor
    Its progressing i think i mostly have almost everything i need other then a battery and charger just need to get it all to fit and then cut it out and drill the holes.

RC Champion
    cyon I found the perfect chassis color

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger9 View Post
    cyon I found the perfect chassis color
    Alright! Is it a powder coating???

RC Champion

RC Qualifier
    Ok thanks Gunslinger, I'll look into that.

Sorry for the bad pics but I just wanted to show you guys the cage. I mounted up the axle with the shocks to show how everything looks. For the shocks I plan on making a small metal piece that I can drill several mounting spots. It will be bent at both ends and attach to those two tubes. Other than that, I also decided that I'm going to run shorty packs. Since they're much smaller than a regular 2s, they can fit nicely right behind the cab and not interfere with the shocks. I'm going to weld on a plate and attach it with velcro just like the old chassis.

RC Qualifier
    Ok guys, here's an update with the build. It should cover all my plans so far.

RC Qualifier
    Hey DesertMobber, what size tubing did you use on your build? It's hard to tell but it looks like 3/8.

RC Enthusiast
    Hi Cycon,

About thickness of the tubing you asked DesertMobber. Look at A-arm link rod-ends. Their size is 7mm and the tubing looks pretty much the same size. So I'd say it is 7mm tubes. I can be wrong but thicker tubing will look weired.
    My Garage: http://top-most.info/rcgarage/?colId=1

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimm3Fuel View Post
    Hi Cycon,

About thickness of the tubing you asked DesertMobber. Look at A-arm link rod-ends. Their size is 7mm and the tubing looks pretty much the same size. So I'd say it is 7mm tubes. I can be wrong but thicker tubing will look weired.
    I see what you mean but the tubing still looks a little bigger. I'm trying to find a tube chassis that uses 1/4 in. (6.5mm) so I can see how it looks. I have a small piece but it's hard to tell what the whole truck will look like. The wood I used for my model says it's 3/16, but it closer to 1/4 in. so I'm thinking I'm going to switch to 1/4 inch. I'm using Chromoly so the strength will be close, I just don't want it to look weird.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by CyconXc View Post
    I see what you mean but the tubing still looks a little bigger. I'm trying to find a tube chassis that uses 1/4 in. (6.5mm) so I can see how it looks. I have a small piece but it's hard to tell what the whole truck will look like. The wood I used for my model says it's 3/16, but it closer to 1/4 in. so I'm thinking I'm going to switch to 1/4 inch. I'm using Chromoly so the strength will be close, I just don't want it to look weird.
    You could also check out the real size of tubing (1:1) and scale it Well I'd follow this way in case if I'd be doing the cage (in fact I don't want to).

Here is a picture, right:

Measure the size of tire and the size of tubing. I scaled the picture so the tire was 55mm and tubing was 3mm, then I measured short course tire and it's size about 110mm then made a simple proprtion 110*3/55 = 6mm Something like that
    My Garage: http://top-most.info/rcgarage/?colId=1

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimm3Fuel View Post
    You could also check out the real size of tubing (1:1) and scale it Well I'd follow this way in case if I'd be doing the cage (in fact I don't want to).

Measure the size of tire and the size of tubing. I scaled the picture so the tire was 55mm and tubing was 3mm, then I measured short course tire and it's size about 110mm then made a simple proprtion 110*3/55 = 6mm Something like that
    That's pretty clever, never though about doing that. My mind is set on 1/4 in. but I now have to remeasure my new wood chassis to see how much I'll need.

I also just finished cutting out the chassis plate. The fit of this bulkhead with the chassis couldn't get any better

RC Qualifier
    dezertmobbers is 1/4 brake line. 3/8" would definitely not be scale.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 96motorhead View Post
    dezertmobbers is 1/4 brake line. 3/8" would definitely not be scale.
    Oh ok thanks for the reply. I guess it just looks bigger in the picture.

RC Enthusiast
    Hey DesertMobber, what size tubing did you use on your build? It's hard to tell but it looks like 3/8.

I used 1/4"... it's kinda big but it's strong for sure,I can stand on it and it doesn't budge and I'm 185 lol I am starting trophy truck number 4 soon and I'll be trying 3/16" solid rod and see if I like it

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dezertmobber2103 View Post
    I used 1/4"... it's kinda big but it's strong for sure,I can stand on it and it doesn't budge and I'm 185 lol I am starting trophy truck number 4 soon and I'll be trying 3/16" solid rod and see if I like it
    Alright man thanks. I only want to make one of these so I'm trying to figure out which would be best.

I think this guy used 3/16

RC Enthusiast
    either way, as long as the design is strong it should hold up to the abuse just fine

RC Qualifier
    3/16" is the most scale IMO. I started with 1/4" originally, but I didn't like how big it was so I used 3/16". But that's just me.

RC Champion
    So what remaining parts of this build are actual Traxxas parts

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    So what remaining parts of this build are actual Traxxas parts
    Haha not much lol. The front end/steering is really the only thing. I'm going to post a video update on it this weekend.

RC Qualifier
    You know once you're done or close to done with this version you should do a video with the total evolution of all of the chassis' in it from start to finish. That would be a cool video I imagine.

RC Competitor
    I am so impressed by this whole thread.....keep up the great work CyconXc!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 96motorhead View Post
    3/16" is the most scale IMO. I started with 1/4" originally, but I didn't like how big it was so I used 3/16". But that's just me.
    That's actually good to here. Even though yours isn't a full cage, it does look way better made of 3/16.

You know once you're done or close to done with this version you should do a video with the total evolution of all of the chassis' in it from start to finish. That would be a cool video I imagine.
    Yeah I'm definitely going to do that. This whole journey needs to documented in a video somehow. I have plenty of pictures and old test videos of all the different models! It's funny how bad it used to be

Quote Originally Posted by Swampthing View Post
    I am so impressed by this whole thread.....keep up the great work CyconXc!
    Thanks man, this next truck definitely won't disappoint. I'm working on finishing the front part of the wood cage now so I can get a new video up.
    Last edited by CyconXc; 03-14-2014 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Merge

RC Champion
    Haha not much lol. The front end/steering is really the only thing. I'm going to post a video update on it this weekend.
    And its a 2WD...? Love it!

Seriously, cool build.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    And its a 2WD...? Love it!

Seriously, cool build.
    Yeah it is, and it's fast too! The last chassis rtr weighed in at almost 9 lbs, and it was still quick. If my calculations are correct, this new build should be close to 6 lbs. His real TT weighs about 6400 lbs, so for the scaling to be perfect, mine would need to be right around 6.5 lbs. It's going to be interesting to see how it performs without that extra weight.

RC Champion
    That's a significant reduction in weight!

RC Qualifier
    I was going to update the thread after I made the video but I changed my mind. I finally managed to get most of the front end together. I'm also getting ready to attach the link mounts; I'm trying a new stacked method this time. They will be welded together at that angle and secured with a screw through both of them. They should be much stronger and put less stress on the ball joints.

You can also see for this truck I'm going with dual shocks up front. The rear shock with the spring will have no oil while the front one will. I can either change out the oil or carry multiple shocks with different oils so I can switch them out completely to adjust the front dampening. I'll be able to really dial in the suspension when testing begins.

RC Qualifier
    That's looking great so far! This version is gonna be legit!

RC Qualifier
    Any updates?

RC Champion
    Awesome build what process do you plan to use for welding the tubing for cage?

RC Qualifier
    Any updates?
    None so far, but if you haven't seen the most recent video here it is:

Quote Originally Posted by pro mod steve View Post
    Awesome build what process do you plan to use for welding the tubing for cage?
    Thanks Steve. I plan on TIG welding the whole thing. It should turn on really clean since I'm using Chromoly. Right now I'm still trying to find the cheapest place to order the tubing.

RC Champion
    Just curious what is your plan of attack? Being a tig welder I have never done any thing that small. Given the small diameter I don't see how running a bead could be possible except in SHORT runs maybe 2 or 3 dabs of filler before repositioning. I would guess mig wire for filler I have used .045 but sometimes hard to get and I would think it would be too big for tube joint of this size? If you use pulse what would you use for PPS? I have done pulse on small stuff .045 but nothing like this as far as small diameter tube. I can't wait to see the finished product.

RC Qualifier
    I'm gonna guess he's gonna use a mig or braze it. I can see a tig causing more problems than necessary on this small of stuff.

RC Champion
    I guessed brazing...

RC Racer
    How do you plan on running the front suspension. You are going to have to run a pretty stiff spring to make up for the other shock not having one. You will have the dampening power of two shocks but you are going to need a spring strong enough to recoil for 2 cylinders as well

Edit: Woops. Didn't read your post well enough. Disregard everything I just said. I was thinking you were going to have oil in both shocks.
    Last edited by wwSome; 03-24-2014 at 12:23 AM.