Page 17 of 39 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by seanycool View Post
    Wow! I would have never expected that! It should definitely be something to watch. I would totally do that if I had the materials because you could make your own design and it would cost less for a body. Where. Do you plan on getting the lexan?
    I've been actually planning on doing this for a while, I just never had the time to do it. It's awesome that I won't have to buy more bodies! But like I said I'm going to make the bodies thicker so they won't be flopping around. I'll either buy the Lexan from Home Depot or order it in bulk online.
    Custom RWD 1/10 BJ Baldwin Trophy Truck

RC poster
    I guess I wouldn't worry as much about replacement parts from RC4wd. I emailed them a while back about some of their trailing arms and they eluded to the fact that they are working on another kit that is "even better".

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 92mnstanger View Post
    I guess I wouldn't worry as much about replacement parts from RC4wd. I emailed them a while back about some of their trailing arms and they eluded to the fact that they are working on another kit that is "even better".
    I really hope that's the case, and if it is that would explain the rapid halt in production. They would be making so much money with all the people interested in building trophy trucks right now. I hope whatever they do come up with is built with stronger metals.

RC Qualifier
    I think I've finally decided on the spot for the sway bars, but as you all know this could change Everything I do I'm keeping the roll cage in mind, so with them turned this way it makes it easier to mount the cage around them. From testing it in the street it wanted to traction roll, which is great news for when I'll be testing it offroad.

Everything's nice and open above the axle now.

I have the sway bars mounted through the trailing arm, the angle would have been too missed up if I used the other mounting spots.

I was going pretty fast and jumped the curb but it traction rolled after it landed and tumbled a little. This is why it's so important to have the metal tubing over all the links on these trucks.

RC Qualifier
    Wow looks great! Off topic but did you see Bj Baldwin quit the Dakar to avoid risking his life driving his truck? Great decision on his part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "That don't make NO sense!"

RC Qualifier
    How long are your upper links? Maybe you could use the revo toe links because they are pretty strong.

RC Qualifier
    Wow looks great! Off topic but did you see Bj Baldwin quit the Dakar to avoid risking his life driving his truck? Great decision on his part.
    I wasn't really tracking his progress, but I just checked up on his position here and there. From the updates I got it seems the truck was having problems the whole race. Sucks to put all the work to make a new truck and go out after having problems like that. Oh well, that's just racing. But it was his first Dakar and he can only get better after experiencing it. I agree with his decision though, after hearing what happened to his teammates truck I would of bailed too. I think he needs to stick to BITD and Baja.

Quote Originally Posted by 96motorhead View Post
    How long are your upper links? Maybe you could use the revo toe links because they are pretty strong.
    I actually thought about using those at first. I changed my mind after I found out they didn't have one that was the specific length I needed. After I bend back the right link I just have to buy some more tubing to put on them.

RC Qualifier
    Yea i followed bj through out the race and it sounds to me like the builders of that truck and his team mates were horrible kept having vapor lock issues team mates care burnt to the ground bad things.

RC Qualifier
    The weather has been in the mid 50s for the last couple days, and yesterday was the perfect day to test out the changes to trophy truck! The longer top links definitely helped, I felt I had more control and the truck was easier to keep straight. The rear shock travel is perfect for those big jumps, soaked them up just how I wanted. It's also great that the raised battery didn't negatively effect the truck. Overall it feels solid, getting closer to the perfect setup! Hope you guys enjoy the video!

RC Qualifier
    Wow that's incredible! I love to watch the suspension working just like on the full size version. How's the cage coming along?

RC Qualifier
    Wow that's incredible! I love to watch the suspension working just like on the full size version. How's the cage coming along?
    I'm telling you man, it's getting better every time I take it out! I really want to get the cage started so I can finish this thing up. The cage is a huge step because not only will it complete the look, that's where I will mount the front sway bars and the majority of the body posts. Still trying to find the cheapest place to order the metal.

Here are the most recent pics with the side panels on there:

RC poster
    That cage is sick man!! What material are you using?could you do some kind of tutorial on how to build a rollcage for rc's?? To me it looks like some sort of plastic tubing... I absolutely love that project!! Keep up your great work!!!

Ps. This beast is the reason why I signed up to this forum!!!!!!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by CyconXc View Post
    Overall it feels solid, getting closer to the perfect setup! Hope you guys enjoy the video!
    Awesome i love to see slow motion jumps and suspension work over the whoops. I got some more progress on mine slowly as i have the time Ill keep updating my thread

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...yconxc-s-build

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoFaceToad View Post
    That cage is sick man!! What material are you using?could you do some kind of tutorial on how to build a rollcage for rc's?? To me it looks like some sort of plastic tubing... I absolutely love that project!! Keep up your great work!!!

Ps. This beast is the reason why I signed up to this forum!!!!!!
    What's up man, glad you signed up to the forum! This cage is actually just a test cage made of 3/16 wood dowels. I'm trying to make sure everything fits well before I get started on the actually cage. The real thing is going to be made of chromoly tubing to save weight, which is the strongest metal you can use for a cage on any vehicle. I'll start on the cage after I get the perfect body shape.

Quote Originally Posted by quadsatv View Post
    Awesome i love to see slow motion jumps and suspension work over the whoops. I got some more progress on mine slowly as i have the time Ill keep updating my thread

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...yconxc-s-build
    Man Quad it's been a while, I'm guessing you've been busy! Like I said I wasn't planning on uploading that, I wish I could of got some more cool shots. There's always nextime. Crazy how the temperature here dropped from 55 on Saturday to 32 today! I'm looking forward to seeing you truck come together, looking good so far!
    Last edited by CyconXc; 01-21-2014 at 05:24 PM.

RC poster
    Do you have a full parts list and specs on the aluminum and steel parts?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Baja_ View Post
    Do you have a full parts list and specs on the aluminum and steel parts?
    Hey there, I posted the dimensions of the chassis a page or so back, but I don't have the specs for anything else at the moment. My frame isn't just a generic shape, it's specifically for BJ Baldwin's truck. Not sure of your plans, but it's easiest just to draw one out the frames yourself depending on the shape you want it.

I don't have a specific list, but these are the main parts:

-Slash 2wd Front End (bulkhead, a-arms, casters, shock tower, servo mount/top plate)
    -RC4WD Hardcore Solid Axle
    -RC4WD Hardcore Trailing Arms
    -SCTE Center Diff/Motor Mount
    -Traxxas Heavy Duty Driveshaft
    -HPI E-Savage/Traxxas XL Shocks

Pretty much everything else is custom.

RC Competitor
    There are 3 or 4 posts with parts list back a few pages

RC Enthusiast
    did you ever get those exo rear lights in?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dezertmobber2103 View Post
    did you ever get those exo rear lights in?
    I haven't put the bezel on yet because I decided to mount it on the body instead. There really wasn't a good place to attach it to the chassis. I'm getting closer to making my first body too, going to show you guys tomorrow what I did to the mold!

RC Qualifier

XC's Custom Solid Axle Trophy Truck Build Thread

@cyconxc, not to annoy you or anything because I know the feeling when I'm told something doesn't look right but is the right rear wheel on your truck further back than the left rear wheel? Just based on the fourth post down. I could be wrong though...

Last edited by seanycool; 01-28-2014 at 03:31 PM.

RC Qualifier
    @cyconxc, not to annoy you or anything because I know the feeling when I'm told something doesn't look right but is the right rear wheel on your truck further back than the left rear wheel? Just based on the fourth post down. I could be wrong though...
    I understand and actually appreciate when people let me know something doesn't look right. It's partly the angle of the picture, but it's also because the right upper link was bent, causing it to be uneven. I straitened it out and put on some of the tubing I used for the chassis braces.

Would have posted the pics of body mold last night but my camera wasn't charged, I should have them up soon.

Traxxas Employee
    Amazing build. I love this kind of suspension in short course trucks.

RC Qualifier

XC's Custom Solid Axle Trophy Truck Build Thread

I understand and actually appreciate when people let me know something doesn't look right. It's partly the angle of the picture, but it's also because the right upper link was bent, causing it to be uneven. I straitened it out and put on some of the tubing I used for the chassis braces.

Would have posted the pics of body mold last night but my camera wasn't charged, I should have them up soon.
    Yeah I do too but it's actually like when I'm fabbing a chassis and someone confirms a thought I had about something being a little crooked or off, I get a little frustrated. I think it's just a little OCD that I have to do it over again lol. Can't wait to see the body design!

RC Qualifier
    Sorry guys, I got a little distracted. Georgia out of all places got 4 inches of snow!

RC Qualifier
    That should come to san diego. We are officially in a state of drought. It's been 70+ degrees here all month.

RC Competitor
    Quick question Cycon how did you weld the pin into the diff and make sure it was straight? I am having some trouble getting it centered and straight while welding. It also pulls it to one side when i make the 1st tack. tried using clamps and a vice grip and i tried wedging it in tighter with some tape around it not sure if i should clamp the cup it sits in i feel like it would break it, was also thinking about screwing a hole through it to lock it into place before welding.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by quadsatv View Post
    Quick question Cycon
    Hey quad. The best way we found to do it was to just use 2 people. I would hold the pin with a pair of grip pliers while my brother hit it with a tack. I propped a couple pieces of wood under the pliers and the diff to keep them both straight and still. Once everything is in line you can weld it. Then if everything looks good after that first weld, finish around the whole piece and sand it up. But if it's still moving, maybe you can put a little shoe goo or something like it in the inside to help hold it still while you weld.

RC Racer
    That. Is. Awesome. I now need a solid rear axle and some how make it work in my Slash 4x4!

RC Enthusiast
    I haven't put the bezel on yet because I decided to mount it on the body instead. There really wasn't a good place to attach it to the chassis. I'm getting closer to making my first body too, going to show you guys tomorrow what I did to the mold!
    Right on, I'm just waiting on lenses for my brake/ dust lights right now hopefully it turns out how I want but if not I'll just make it again, you know how it goes haha looking forward to seeing the body you got in the works

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dezertmobber2103 View Post
    Right on, I'm just waiting on lenses for my brake/ dust lights right now hopefully it turns out how I want but if not I'll just make it again, you know how it goes haha looking forward to seeing the body you got in the works
    Yeah it's taken a little longer than expected for the clay to dry. I wanted to sand down the add-ons before I took some pictures of it. The clay is actually starting to crack but I think it should be ok as long as it's not falling off.

Are you going to use all one color or did you just get one set of the led covers?

RC Enthusiast
    I got the clear and yellow lens set, thinking of using my red leds for the clear lens and white leds for the yellow lenses, I'll post pics when I get it hooked up...might change it up though, gotta see how it looks

RC Qualifier
    I'm going to get two sets so I can use 4 clears. Don't know if it will work, but I was going to try painting them with translucent paint to get the clear ones orange and red.

RC Enthusiast
    that is what I did in the first place and it looked good with the yellow and red leds I just wanted a more scale look thats why im getting different lenses, might still use 4 clears just have to see how it looks with the yellow and red ones before I make my decision... just sucks you have to buy a bunch of lenses and only use a couple lol axial should have a lens set with 4 just for the exo bezel

RC poster
    Any updates so far? Really looking forward to see your new body and all the stuff going on with your clay modeling!
    Keep it up!

RC Competitor
    I recently bought a Slash and seeing this thread makes me want to pick one up off CL and tear into it. Very nice truck.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoFaceToad View Post
    Any updates so far? Really looking forward to see your new body and all the stuff going on with your clay modeling!
    Keep it up!
    Hey there Toad, sorry for the lack of updates. The only thing I've done recently was putting on some temporary front sway bars, which has made driving the truck offroad that much better. I plan on making some front ones similar to the rear when I make the cage. But testing has been going great, it pretty much has the perfect setup up right now. I'll try to post some pics but no promises...

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    I recently bought a Slash and seeing this thread makes me want to pick one up off CL and tear into it. Very nice truck.
    Yeah many people now have the trophy truck bug. Once people see how amazing they drive offroad they get get there mind set that they want to build one eventually. It's not practical or easy for most, but those who have access to some good tools are definitely tempted and feel they can take on the challenge. Let me know if you have any questions before you dive in.

RC Qualifier
    After waiting a couple more days for the clay to dry, I just went down to check on the body. Sadly this is what I walked down to. It was looking like it was going to dry fine a couple days ago, but now that it's completely dry it cracked. I'm going to have to figure out a way to fix this...

You can see the rear fender area cracked right along the mold's edge.

RC Racer
    If I may ask a question. Would the hardcore solid rear axle be feasable with the front diff ratio on the 4x4? I would seriously consider using the solid rear diff in my 4x4. Thanks.

Edit: sorry about the clay mold. My friend says you can try and glue the cracks together.
    Last edited by DoppelGanger13; 02-06-2014 at 07:50 PM.

RC Champion
    wow that stinks about the clay

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by DoppelGanger13 View Post
    If I may ask a question. Would the hardcore solid rear axle be feasable with the front diff ratio on the 4x4? I would seriously consider using the solid rear diff in my 4x4. Thanks.

Edit: sorry about the clay mold. My friend says you can try and glue the cracks together.
    I don't know about the ratio because I don't have one, but it would probably work if you used a center diff. Good luck finding one anywhere, the vaterra twin hammer axle would work as well.