Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by dezertmobber2103 View Post
    still a work in progress but it will be fun when it's finished
    Thats mad sexy, I use to work on Nitros all the time, i only ever had 3 though, 2 traxxas nitro sports and 1 t-maxx, i only painted 1 body before was my 1st it came out alright, and i never have welded or brazed a roll cage before, i been watching tutorial videos on how to weld, braze, and paint lexan, and this will also be my 1st Scratch build. My nitro sport was Rtr when i bought it, and i modified it several times when ever i would break it i would customize it a little and make it stronger. Right now it has a T-maxx rear shock tower, custom shocks, custom painted body and bumpers and a megatech 16 engine.

What method and type of material did you use to weld make that cage? and is that a 1/8 scale?

Was thinking what material i should use and what method to make a cage for my truck.

RC Enthusiast
    thanks man, I used 1/4" tubing and mig welded it...and the truck is 1/10 scale but I am starting an 1/8 scale truck, my other trophy truck is 1/10 scale also

RC Enthusiast

the other one

RC Competitor
    Thats awesome, Does it weigh alot? and what kind of shocks are you using?

RC Enthusiast
    thanks, and I don't know how much it weighs but it's not that light haha handles awesome though and I think the shocks are slash rears and tmaxx shocks, not too sure just kinda used what was laying around on this one lol

RC Qualifier
    Desertmobber those are freakin sweet, I really like the first one. How long did it take you to make that?
    - Custom 1/10 BJ Baldwin TT - SCT410 - Mini Slash

RC Enthusiast
    thanks man! I'm actually still working on it and I'm a couple weeks in the build, trying to find time to mess with it here and there to finish it up so I can get it dirty haha just need a couple parts to finish it but I'm getting mostly 1/8 parts for it so I don't have to worry about anything but they are definitely a lil more pricey than 1/10 parts lol

RC Qualifier
    Thanks to RC4WD an their nice customer service, they sent me a replacement link set for my axle. I compared these new HD ones to my old ones that broke and there's a noticeable difference in the design. They left thicker and more material around the screw holes to help strengthen it, I guess I wasn't the only one to break mine!

You can see that motivated me to finish my axle rebuild. While I had it apart I figured I might as well sand it down and paint it. If you're wondering, the carnage was a result of running the 4wd truck in gravel..

Before:

After

BJ's truck on display at SEMA 2013

RC Enthusiast
    looks good man, I am ordering the rc4wd center diff wraith axle housing for mine...I like the looks of the one your using but the wraith "shock/link mounts" on the axle are gonna come in handy for my sway bar because obviously my shocks are mounted on the links so it suits my build better and I can change diff covers also if I feel like it

RC Enthusiast
    hey cycon, how wide is that exo rear light bezel? I was thinking of using that for the brake/dust lights but not one lhs had them in stock so I could see if it would be wide enough to work

RC Qualifier
    looks good man, I am ordering the rc4wd center diff wraith axle housing for mine...I like the looks of the one your using but the wraith "shock/link mounts" on the axle are gonna come in handy for my sway bar because obviously my shocks are mounted on the links so it suits my build better and I can change diff covers also if I feel like it
    That was going to be my second option. That's actually a good decision because my brother and I have both had problems with the hardcore. Not to mention, who knows when they'll stop making replacement parts for it... As you saw further back in the thread, the metal they use for the diff gears is terrible, I don't know why they didn't just use steel. My brother test fitted his SCX10 diff in the hardcore and it actually fit, so when ever my current gears decide to wear down that's what I'll be getting. I have my sway bars coming in the next couple days so I'll through up some pics when they get here. Most likely I'll be mounting mine on the other inner link holes.

RC Qualifier
    hey cycon, how wide is that exo rear light bezel? I was thinking of using that for the brake/dust lights but not one lhs had them in stock so I could see if it would be wide enough to work
    It's 4 & 1/2 inches wide. It's going to look cool when I get it hooked up on my new body.

This guy on URC used it:

RC Enthusiast
    pretty nice the scx10 gears work, opens up some options for sure! I think that light bezel is too narrow for my cage... might have to buy it and cut it up for the light buckets lol I wanted to use the wraith brake light buckets but you have to buy 2 sets of buckets and lenses for the whole truck to get the 4 buckets needed lol that's why the exo bezel was appealing to me, worth a shot i guess

RC Enthusiast
    do you have any slop in the center diff you are using? I have been looking into them a little and that seems to be the only issue with them

RC Qualifier
    pretty nice the scx10 gears work, opens up some options for sure! I think that light bezel is too narrow for my cage... might have to buy it and cut it up for the light buckets lol I wanted to use the wraith brake light buckets but you have to buy 2 sets of buckets and lenses for the whole truck to get the 4 buckets needed lol that's why the exo bezel was appealing to me, worth a shot i guess
    It is nice, Axial's quality is waaay better. I do also wish the bezel was wider, I don't know if it will look weird not being the whole width. Like you said I got just to try it out. The only other option I can think of to replace this by making our own.

RC Qualifier
    do you have any slop in the center diff you are using? I have been looking into them a little and that seems to be the only issue with them
    I haven't noticed any, this motor mount setup has been very reliable and strong.

RC Qualifier
    I was gonna make anti-collision lights but I ended up not doing it because I liked my body to much to cut it up.lol I was going for this...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56AW0kt3578

I mocked it up with paper but I never followed through, because I wasn't sure about it.

RC Enthusiast
    ya, the bezel is a lil too narrow but that just makes it more fun to make work and gives the truck a killer look...as far as the center diff,I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the setup soon just trying to decide if I'm going aluminum or not... glad to hear it's been solid, the guys saying it had a lil slop race the trucks ALOT so pretty sure it would hold up to occasional bashing just fine

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 96motorhead View Post
    I was gonna make anti-collision lights but I ended up not doing it because I liked my body to much to cut it up.lol I was going for this...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56AW0kt3578

I mocked it up with paper but I never followed through, because I wasn't sure about it.

if you made that it would definitely look good man and for the body all you have to do is add one post per bed side towards the rear to make it solid... what light buckets were you going to use?

RC Qualifier
    ya, the bezel is a lil too narrow but that just makes it more fun to make work and gives the truck a killer look...as far as the center diff,I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the setup soon just trying to decide if I'm going aluminum or not... glad to hear it's been solid, the guys saying it had a lil slop race the trucks ALOT so pretty sure it would hold up to occasional bashing just fine
    I ordered the SCTE 2.0 motor mount. It would have been a little pricey to order all aluminum parts, especially the Kingz Head ones. I honestly think you won't need the aluminum parts, especially because I used the little groove on the plastic one to mount the L-bracket. I'm glad my brother came up with this idea, it's had zero problems.

RC Qualifier
    I'd say go for it, it would look sweet. Here are a couple pics I have. If you didn't want to completely cut up your body, you could do something like the 3rd pic.

RC Qualifier
    I was either gonna fit axial wraith light buckets or build my own.

RC Enthusiast
    I was either gonna fit axial wraith light buckets or build my own.
    ya that's what I was gonna do too but you have to buy 2 sets of buckets and lenses to get the 4 that you need lol like $40 so I'm probably gonna just make the exo bezel work and it will be half the cost

RC Enthusiast
    Hi everyone!

You guys are so awesome I was obsessed with this thread for awhile and finally started to make my own truck pretty much the same design Cycon proposed Many thanks to Cycon for the thread itself. Keep it up!

I don't have much to show right now, just cut aluminum plate for the frame so far but did not put all together. Anyways here is a picture of what I do have at this moment:

I used slash2wd as a donor of the truck and ordered some parts from ebay and rc4wd (sad story they don't make hardcore parts anymore).

Thanks!

RC Enthusiast
    looks like it's coming along pretty good man! keep it up and share the progress

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimm3Fuel View Post
    You guys are so awesome I was obsessed with this thread for awhile and finally started to make my own truck pretty much the same design Cycon proposed Many thanks to Cycon for the thread itself. Keep it up!

I used slash2wd as a donor of the truck and ordered some parts from ebay and rc4wd (sad story they don't make hardcore parts anymore).
    Hey there, I'm glad my thread has helped. It seems my truck really had an impact! What further plans do you have for this truck?

RC Qualifier
    In other news, got the sway bars today. These are the Axial Wraith front sway bars, which are slightly longer than the rears.

These are traxxas shock standoffs that I used to support the sway bar, which fit them perfectly. The inside lip of the standoff will hold up the metal spacer in the inside for a snug fit.

Had to sand half of the rod so that it could slide into the link arm, then it tightens down with a set screw.

Here it is all done, turned out a lot better than I thought.

RC Qualifier
    Pics don't show...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "That don't make NO sense!"

RC Qualifier
    I used to have the axial wraith sway bars on mine. They were way to stiff and made the car roll more. Unfortunately one of the arms set screws stripped before I could make my own torsion bar to make them less stiff. Tell us how they work for you and DON'T over tighten the set screws.

RC Qualifier
    Were you using the weakest one? On pavement I could see it flipping over, but on dirt it should be fine. But thanks for the tip, before I go test it I'll make sure to loosen it a 1/8th of a turn.

RC Qualifier
    I used it on dirt and street for 1 day then they got screwed, so I was never able to truly test them.

RC Qualifier
    I hope that's not the case with mine. I still think that's really weird that they broke that early on, especially because it's Axial.

RC Qualifier
    What did you use for the rod part of the sway bar? I'm trying to figure something like this out for my tt.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by CyconXc View Post
    Hey there, I'm glad my thread has helped. It seems my truck really had an impact! What further plans do you have for this truck?
    Well, there will be an axle from RC4WD - centered axial wraith one. And as for transmission I'm going to use one from the donor's slash. I still not sure about trailing arms because RC4wd doesn't make good ones anymore. Hopefully I will be able to make custom ones. About power system I did not decided yet because I don't know the result weight of the truck. Also there will be a challenge to find aluminum tubes for links and frame because no shop sells them down here so and buying them from the metal company in 1000kilos is not good option I will try to post some pics once I will put together the frame.

Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by seanycool View Post
    What did you use for the rod part of the sway bar? I'm trying to figure something like this out for my tt.
    Piano wire.

RC Qualifier
    Piano wire.
    I meant cycon but that's pretty creative. How did that work?

RC Qualifier
    I meant cycon but that's pretty creative.
    I used 3/16 in. steel rod, hopefully it isn't too stiff.

RC Qualifier
    Oh okay did you have to cut a groove of some sort to get the swing arms on or what did you do?

RC Qualifier
    Oh okay did you have to cut a groove of some sort to get the swing arms on or what did you do?
    I had to sand it almost in half. I'm actually surprised the rod was the right size, I just grabbed a small rod while I was at the store hoping it would fit the sway bar link.