Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122
    RC Champion
    Chromoly is going to weld the same as steel tube. They are both very similar they are both steel its just chromoly has different ingredients so to say and manufactured differently. I would do the tube. if you are not to comfortable solid rod would me more forgiving in the process as you wouldn't worry about melting tube edges. Warping or heat distortion should be less or none with solid rod being its thicker and better able do absorb or dispate heat input as a heat sink sort of.When you get that small as far as weight wall thickness is wall thickness basically .035 steel is same as .035 CM I don't really know if there would be a weight advantage to CM at that small of a tube over regular steel.
    Last edited by pro mod steve; 04-03-2014 at 09:57 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pro mod steve View Post
    Chromoly is going to weld the same as steel tube. They are both very similar they are both steel its just chromoly has different ingredients so to say and manufactured differently. I would do the tube. if you are not to comfortable solid rod would me more forgiving in the process as you wouldn't worry about melting tube edges. Warping or heat distortion should be less or none with solid rod being its thicker and better able do absorb or dispate heat input as a heat sink sort of.When you get that small as far as weight wall thickness is wall thickness basically .035 steel is same as .035 CM I don't really know if there would be a weight advantage to CM at that small of a tube over regular steel.
    Ok thanks for clearing that up. I'm going to head over to an auto parts store and pick up some brake line to start experimenting a little. I'll post some pics of how it turns out.
    - Custom BJ Baldwin Trophy Truck - Tekno SCT410 -

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pro mod steve View Post
    I would do the tube. if you are not to comfortable solid rod would me more forgiving in the process as you wouldn't worry about melting tube edges.
    After looking online I only see that it comes in coils, is that what I need to get?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by CyconXc View Post
    After looking online I only see that it comes in coils, is that what I need to get?
    auto parts stores should have it straight and in different lengtsh that's how I buy it for here at work.

RC Qualifier
    Ok I went out and bought two types. I got the small pieces of brake line from the auto parts store and the other solid rods from Home Depot. 3 ft of the 3/16 solid rod weighed in at .28 lbs, so if the truck were to need 30 ft. of it, the whole thing would be about 2.5 lbs. That weight I can live with, I thought it would have been way heavier than that. I am going to use the 1/4 for any spots that need screws threw them (the bottom and the shock mounts).

I'm cutting the 1/4 in. pieces now to use as the base to connect to the aluminum.

The solid steel rods

And here's the brake line

RC Qualifier
    Alright here's the first joint. Going to have to do a little more sanding but you get the picture. The 1/4 in. parts will run along these edges on both sides.

RC Qualifier
    Looking good! How much did the brake line cost?
    "That don't make NO sense!"

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by seanycool View Post
    Looking good! How much did the brake line cost?
    Thanks, each of the brake line pieces were $5. I might not even bother using them because the solid tubing seems like the way to go. I got the bellcrank installed so I'll be able to weld the part of the chassis above it tomorrow.

RC Qualifier
    Alright here's the steering setup. It's pretty strong so I'm not sure if I'm gonna put a top plate. But this won't be the servo I'm using. I'm still waiting to order the servo arm and mount for the axial servo.

And drilling a hole through solid steel rod is not fun haha, glad I only have to do 3 more..

There will be more updates throughout the day, I'll be cutting more pieces soon.

RC Qualifier
    Can't... See... Pichers...

RC Qualifier
    Can't... See... Pichers...
    Make sure tht your not on scool wifi turn tht off then you can see them. I mean thats wht i have to do.

RC Qualifier
    Yah lol still can't see them

RC Qualifier
    Yah lol still can't see them
    Haha.. Are you on an Iphone?

RC Qualifier
    Maybe... Lol I should probably use a computer hih