Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

RC Qualifier

XC's Custom Solid Axle Trophy Truck Build Thread

Hey guys, this is a little project I've been working on. This truck was originally a Pede 4x4, but I converted it with a stock chassis knowing I wanted to make some kind of solid axle. I have alot of this already up on another forum, so I'm going to be posting alot of what I already did. I'll be cutting the chassis in half and creating 2 twin-vertical plates to mount the shocks and battery.

Here's the truck I'm starting from:

And this is what I'm aiming for: BJ Baldwin's Chevy Trophy Truck

RC Qualifier
    Ok the first step was to get the chassis cut. I still need to cut channels for the trailing arms, and also cut out the center for the driveshaft.

This is where the 2wd Transmission is going to sit.

RC Qualifier
    These were the original plates. Later on I end up cutting new ones. I realized these weren't the right shape I needed. But for the sake of the thread, I'll post everthing I did up to how it is currently.

As for connecting the two plates, I'm using 2 1/2" screws with some tubing I found in Home Depot (plumbers). And to mount it on the chassis I used two L-brackets, trimmed and drilled to fit the plates. All the screws I'm using are 8-32".

And the finished product:

Wow that looks like a crazy project! Please keep us all posted on the progress you make to your truck! Looking very forward to seeing the end result!
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Champion
    Yeah me too. I can't wait for you to finish it. Keep us posted. And great job so far.
    Slash 4x4 built from Proline RPM STRC TRX and MIP

RC Qualifier
    awesome dude!!!

RC Qualifier
    Yes this will be very interesting
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!

RC Champion
    Check out the Vaterra Twin Hammers for some possible inspiration.
    / 16

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by jrmbtr View Post
    Check out the Vaterra Twin Hammers for some possible inspiration.
    or the rc4wd version of the solid axle

http://store.rc4wd.com/Hardcore-Slas...t-_p_1085.html

RC Qualifier
    There was a build in a rc magazine about 6 months ago with a custom solid rear axle build. It was really cool. Good luck!

RC Qualifier
    I knew I saw something simular a while back:
    http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/non-c...phy-truck.html

There's always this if you can get one though pricey as heck:
    https://store.rc4wd.com/mobile/product.asp?itemid=1085

Cant wait to see the finished product!

Edit-Dang illest, you beat me to it.
    -Slash 4x4 MT 2000kv
    -Slash 4x4 MT 2100kv

RC Competitor
    Looking pretty good so far.

RC Qualifier
    Sorry I haven't updated, been having internet problems... But here is the rear section installed. I needed to use some old hexes as spacers on the back and front left holes so the rear mount is level.

You can see that only the right side of the chassis has ridges, that's why I needed to use the hexes.

I also used a piece of metal undernieth to ensure that the plastic doesn't break/crack.

RC Qualifier
    Ok, these next pictures are for mounting the transmission. I'm just using an Integy Aluminum gear box for the Slash 2wd, but any 2wd rc transmission will work. After everything was cut and sanded, I just measured and drilled 4 holes to mount it from underneath.

This is before I did anything.

And this is after. Since I dyed my chassis, it's alot easier to see where I needed to sand for the tranny to drop into place. I put it in a place where it would be easy to run a drive shaft from the front to make it 4wd.

This picture shows where I trimmed the chassis to make the slots for the trailing arms. I also had to cut 1/4 off each L-bracket so the arms wouldn't hit it.

This is with it mounted up.

RC Qualifier
    Wow, making some fast progress there ain't we! Looking forward to the finished product, nice work!
    -Slash 4x4 MT 2000kv
    -Slash 4x4 MT 2100kv

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Pede Pede View Post
    Wow, making some fast progress there ain't we! Looking forward to the finished product, nice work!
    Thanks!

Everything in the previous posts where done about 2 weeks ago, and I'm just now posting them, that's why the updates are so rapid. I'm trying to get the thread caught up to how my truck is now. The actual truck is done, just waiting on my RC4wd Hardcore axle to get here, which I just ordered today. I'll post some more updates tomorrow.

RC Qualifier
    Ok, now it's time to make the front bumper and shield. For these two I used sheet metal(stainless steel) and just bent it where it needed to be.

This is more of just a front skid plate, I plan on later painting it black and putting on the monster logo.

Also made a little front bumper to stick out through the body. This was the piece to hold the front bumper on the Slash 2wd, I just trimmed off the part that connected to the chassis. I used 2 1/2" screws through the shock tower and put a nut on the other side. Then I just used the drilled to thread each screw into the plastic bumper. I end up painting this green.

This is BJ's old sponcer, but it's the same truck. You can see the shield is separate from the body. This is a scale feature that's actually pretty easy to make. You could attach this to the stock bumper if you wanted to.

This is the piece I made. Just a simple t-shape, and since it's so thin, it's easy to bend it into the shape I wanted.

Here it is attached with just two screws, from underneath so it's flush. This is where the TOYO TIRES sticker will go.

Last edited by CyconXc; 02-27-2013 at 07:42 AM.

It looks like you are well on your way! It is great seeing the progress that you are making on this truck! I cannot wait to see the finished product!

RC Qualifier
    Here are both of the new rear braces cut out and painted. I used Rustoleum Flat black metal paint so the steel doesn't rust, I also thought it looks better black. I made new ones is so I could mount the rear spare tires lower.

Mounted up but not connected yet.

This is the piece I created to mount the rear spare. It was made from the same steel as the braces and the L-brackets. I measured it so that when I put it on, it drops right into place inside the two braces.

Here it is attached. It fits perfect and now the tire can be easily removed!

RC Champion
    Yeah looking great so far! Can't wait until it's done!
    Slash 4x4 built from Proline RPM STRC TRX and MIP

RC Qualifier
    May be a dumb question but how will this new rear end and suspension affect the performance of the truck? Will it respond similar to the way it was? Better? Worse? Don't get me wrong I think it's rad what you're doing and am amazed at your mechanical ability. Want more pics and a video when finished!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjoblue View Post
    May be a dumb question but how will this new rear end and suspension affect the performance of the truck? Will it respond similar to the way it was? Better? Worse? Don't get me wrong I think it's rad what you're doing and am amazed at your mechanical ability. Want more pics and a video when finished!
    It will basically give you 100% forward or reverse traction, which means its better on loose dirt or uneven surfaces. Real trucks have a solid axle so when building a scale rc build, using the same kind of axle works best. For what I'll be doing with this, the solid axle will work great.

RC Qualifier
    OK now the spare tire is painted and on. Later on I might try to mount two tires stacked.

RC Qualifier
    Also the RC4WD Hardcore axle finally came today! It was $120, and it is the last thing I need to complete my truck. It uses 12mm hexes and stock slash offset rims. So excited, but I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow to connect it all up.

Last edited by CyconXc; 03-02-2013 at 12:40 AM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by CyconXc View Post
    It will basically give you 100% forward or reverse traction, which means its better on loose dirt or uneven surfaces. Real trucks have a solid axle so when building a scale rc build, using the same kind of axle works best. For what I'll be doing with this, the solid axle will work great.
    Mostly true for offroad at low speed, especially crawling as there is better articulation. Extrapolate the scale speed of hobby-grade RC and you may likely notice less reactive suspension and more rollover.
    Last edited by jrmbtr; 03-02-2013 at 06:08 AM.
    / 16

RC Qualifier
    Did some more work on the truck today.

To attach the link to the chassis, I bought these clamp mounts that I found at Home Depot. They come in pares with two screws holding them together. I though these work be much better than spending $15 on some Vanquish brackets. For now I'm going to try and use these plastic links from the Axial Honcho. I could have ordered the RC4WD trailing arms but that would have been another $40 plus $15 for the metal rod ends. I might end up making my own if these break.

As you can see, I'm using the Revo/E-Revo/Summint driveshaft

When mounting the links you need to make sure all four are on the same axis or they won't swing smoothly.

Here's with the braces back on. I mounted to shocks vertical so they cycle straight.

RC Qualifier
    Its really starting to take shape!

RC Qualifier
    wow! thats absolutely amazing! nice job!

I am hoping to see the final product soon! It is looking nearly finished! You have me on pins and needles

RC Qualifier
    As everyone already said,awesome job!!!

You should send it to traxxas so they can make one!

RC Champion
    What's the motor/ESC planned for it?
    / 16

This build is so awesome i will be keeping an eye on this bad boy......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Ok guys, I know you guys have been waiting patiently for the finished product. In know way is this final, but I going to take it out and start testing it. I'll figure out what parts, what needs to be strengthened, and if there needs to be any design changes. As of now it's 4wd. But because I used a 2wd transmission, I can easily take out the front drive-shaft, lock the output with a pin and instantly make it 2wd.

This is just a quick picture of the back 4 links all on. This is at full droop, more can achieved with either longer shocks, or longer ball ends.

And this is what you guys wanted to see, the finished truck:

I knew I wanted to use two spare tires on the back, it's just that rc short course tires were too tall. So, I got some old m2 compound Proline Switches, cut out 1cm of the tread and foam from the center, then glue the halves back together. Now you can use one rim with the new narrow, scale looking spare tires.

RC Qualifier
    Man that truck looks great good fab work
    6S OR NOTHING............................ maybe 5s

RC Qualifier
    That's sick.

RC Champion
    How's the balance? Is there a significant overall weight change compared to stock?
    / 16

RC Qualifier
    Thanks guys!

The system I have in here now is a MMP with a 5700kv motor. I'm looking to upgrade the motor to a 2400.

With everything put together, even without the metal roll cage, its allot heavier than stock. My scale only goes to 5lb, so I can't weigh it, but the steel plates are what adds the extra weight. I'm guessing it's about 7-8lbs. If I can find a good price on sheet aluminum, I'll make new plates with that, and it won't rust.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by CyconXc View Post
    Thanks guys!

The system I have in here now is a MMP with a 5700kv motor. I'm looking to upgrade the motor to a 2400.

With everything put together, even without the metal roll cage, its allot heavier than stock. My scale only goes to 5lb, so I can't weigh it, but the steel plates are what adds the extra weight. I'm guessing it's about 7-8lbs. If I can find a good price on sheet aluminum, I'll make new plates with that, and it won't rust.
    Sounds like a good plan.
    / 16

RC Qualifier
    that looks super cool, make a video and post it I want to see how this handles

RC Qualifier
    Now you have to make the body! Really cool build
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!