RC Enthusiast

Bulkhead upgrades/mods

Any thoughts from the community regarding rear bulkhead upgrades or mods (in other areas) to minimize breakage?

My second run ever I managed to break my rear on a frozen turf divot.

The only hop-up I've seen out there is the aluminum one. Are there alternatives?

Street

RC Champion
    Running in freezing temperatures is a higher risk. Cold plastic=brittle.
    Pretty much there are two alternatives. Stock or $100 a pop for integy.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    A roll cage may help

RC Enthusiast
    That roll cage is no joke.

I'm thinking about getting the aluminum bulkhead but am slightly concerned about rear weight. Not concerned about overall weight as it's so light v its power.

Am worried about the added back weight making it do even more wheelies.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    and the aluminum bulkheads bend!
    roll cage is very light

the bulks a fairly cheap, I would keep the plastic stockers...just part of the hobby, you might not break another for years..??
    I try to be a little more careful in cold weather, no major air jumps.........
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    A roll cage may help
    I wish they made a rollcage for the e-revo but with a normal truck body.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC Qualifier
    that looks BA 50 i choose to go with the black tho how you like yours?i love mine and not to get off topic but stay with the plastic bulks for now til something better comes other then integy

RC Enthusiast
    Good input. Thanks guys.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    So far the roll cage is working good. Has taken some good hit with no problems
    I had a few holes punched into my body from the traxxas sway bar and don't have to worry about that anymore

Quote Originally Posted by hottrodd1090 View Post
    heres what i did to mine on a bad landing with the wheelie bar on
    That's some serious damage there mate...not even the roll cage is bulletproof .
    Rock n Rolla !

you mean the wing is not suppose to point down??

===

===I spy CVD's
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Did you have your rear chassis brace off?

RC Qualifier
    No I didn't have a brace on and the wheelie bar gave it even more leverage to do that.but I heated it up bent all back into shape made those rear supports for it added a brace and took off the wheelie bar and learned how to drive LOL now no more probs even with bad landings.LOL 87 it was off a 30 40 foot jump downhill landed rear down and u see what happened but I still drop e it til I packs died with no problem

RC Qualifier
    87 the pics didn't show r u talking about the centers?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Got me thinking so I made this bracket to help strengthen another weak spot on the revo

RC Qualifier
    i like that i hope you don't mind but i'm going to do the same thing on mine.even with no rollcage that will help the rear of the chassis a lot.you might have just saved a lot of chassis.that's awesome job.that is the new rear chassis mod

RC Qualifier
    I think it might cause problems if you don't have a roll cage it's gonna rip the screws out of the bulkhead
    6S OR NOTHING............................ maybe 5s

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I think combined with the top brace it will definitely help. Better then no brace

RC Qualifier
    ya with the cage i think it would last but without the cage i wouldnt give it 20mins of good bashing i might do it once i get an rcs cage

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hotrodd's landing was more of a fluke. In normal bashing you wont land perfectly on the back of the wing to cause damage
    If you were to damage it in 20 minutes without the cage yours would of collapsed on every ride

RC Qualifier
    your right i bash very hard butas stock the body and wing mount will just flex no big deal it will flex right back but with the mod it will stay bent up with the screws pulled out... and if you would like me to test to see if i can break it and 20 mins ill make a vid non stop no editing or cuts. it will fail without the cage. but as ive already stated i think its a great mod in conjunction with the cage i will be doing the mod myself once i get a cage.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mydudrevo View Post
    your right i bash very hard butas stock the body and wing mount will just flex no big deal it will flex right back but with the mod it will stay bent up with the screws pulled out... and if you would like me to test to see if i can break it and 20 mins ill make a vid non stop no editing or cuts. it will fail without the cage. but as ive already stated i think its a great mod in conjunction with the cage i will be doing the mod myself once i get a cage.
    i think you should make one and put it on and go bash without a roll cage and IMO i think it will last longer then you think.alls we can do is try to improve things.why do you think you bash any harder than anyone else?and if you think the wing and body wil just bounce back i had 2 other chassis that say different.so maybe your not bashing hard enough
    Last edited by hottrodd1090; 02-27-2013 at 08:27 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Some people take it a little easier on their trucks maybe you don't but I really just think without the cage it will fail. That's all I wanted to say I think it's golden with the cage but why don't you so the mod them see of it fails I'm gonna do it this weekend just to make a point then gonna get a cage here on the near future and do it and it will be bullet proof. I'm not quite sure why no one on this forum can take any kind of criticism without taking as me being mean or just trying to bash you guys its just an opinion if you disagree just disregard my post and move on to the subject at hand and once again ill say this to 50togo I think it's a GREAT idea for the cage users. Here's an example why don't people like aluminum skids..... Because they bend this will do the same thing without the extra support of the cage

RC Qualifier
    i dont think you are being mean or whatever you think i am just stating my opion.i think its a great mod and i think it will hold up.it will help hold the 2 screws in the bulk that holds the chassis down that always rip out.good luck and great bashing

RC Qualifier
    Since you did this mod as a precaution to what happened to hotrod i think its perfect for its purpose. i bet when you saw what happened to his cage, you were like, no way i will let that happen to my cage and went straight to the machine .

I almost forgot, here is my mod for strengthening the bulks after weakening them by carrying out the lst xxl diff mod. which i guess i will never have the chance to check it out.

Last edited by uninterrc; 03-01-2013 at 06:48 PM.
    SUPERMAXX, ERBE, T-MAXX, MERV
    SAVAGE &TROPHY FLUX

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I added the front brace as a precaution

Nice brace there!
    Last edited by 50togo; 03-01-2013 at 06:54 PM.

RC Qualifier
    thanks but your pictures are showing the rear brace, right? i thought you wanted to show the front brace.

here is my front brace, i forgot about that one

SUPERMAXX, ERBE, T-MAXX, MERV
    SAVAGE &TROPHY FLUX

RC Qualifier
    50 did you add that too plus the very rear brace? i don't see any videos of anyone making and breaking it so it must of held or just a bunch of smoke being blown around.i have made mine yet but i have something in mind that will be almost like yours and going to try it on one of mine that doesn't have a cage too.we have some thick metal studs at work we used on a job and i brought home a throw away piece to use

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    sorry my rear front brace!

yes i have both!
    i have some steel 1/4" square bar stock i was going to use but had this from before.pretty tight with the tekno swar bar
    Last edited by 50togo; 03-01-2013 at 07:33 PM.

RC Qualifier
    awesome i hope my idea works for the one without a cage.i am thinking of putting a flat piece off the bolts that hold the wing mount then making the brace like yours.that way i can bolt it up by the wing mount if that makes sense.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by hottrodd1090 View Post
    50 did you add that too plus the very rear brace? i don't see any videos of anyone making and breaking it so it must of held or just a bunch of smoke being blown around.i have made mine yet but i have something in mind that will be almost like yours and going to try it on one of mine that doesn't have a cage too.we have some thick metal studs at work we used on a job and i brought home a throw away piece to use
    haha sorry I haven't been able to drive my drive need to buy some washers for the lst axles and what's this smoke your talking about being blown next time keep it to yourself going to a different forum R so C later M

RC Qualifier
    for one you are not my father so i will do what i want and no one will tell me what to do.if i have an opion i will state it.so do what you gotta do.i was hoping for a video