Thread: new summit

RC Enthusiast

new summit

i just picked up a used summit and was wondering what everyone uses to take the lug nuts off for the tires, also the guy has two steel drive shafts installed and two stock ones still on it but he gave me the other two metal drive shafts, but the weird thing is the two drive shafts he has on the summit are the front passenger side and the rear drivers side, any one know why and should i just install the other two or just leave them thanks all

RC Qualifier
    That will be the best purchase you have made in your life...
    To take the wheel nuts off you can use a an ordinary socket set or just buy the wrench that comes with all brand new summits.
    There are no steel driveshafts designed for the summit. They would most likely be the e revo upgrades.
    The reason that there is only 2 on the truck and they are diagonally opposite is because on one side of the summit diff there is the "t-lock" mechanism. The shafts are to long to fit the short side (the side with the t-lock mechanisim), so they are only on the long side.
    Have a look at this thread-It might help!
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...nd-found-these..
    If the summit can go through; its not deep enough

RC Qualifier
    welcome to the group!

not sure if its good to leave half steel and half stock....

RC Champion
    How much did you pay?

I bought a couple tool kits off of eBay to get the wheel tool and the hex tools.
    17mm socket works fine on the wheels but I prefer the plastic tool since it doesn't scratch the nut.
    Last edited by Zepher; 02-25-2013 at 03:10 PM.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

Quote Originally Posted by danielhawkins View Post
    ...There are no steel driveshafts designed for the summit. They would most likely be the e revo upgrades.
    MIP CVD Spline Kit Traxxas Summit
    I'd stick with the stock plastic shafts.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
    How much did you pay?

I bought a couple tool kits off of eBay to get the wheel tool and the hex tools.
    17mm socket works fine on the wheels but I prefer the plastic tool since it doesn't scratch the nut.
    You can also go to your favorite place to buy tools and get a socket for taking rims off. You can get them with a nylon insert

RC Enthusiast
    thanks all i have some reading to do on this beast, paid 350 for summit, stock tires and rims also, proline trencher x wheels on desperados and the 4 steel drive shafts there not the ones in the link posted just found out they are these Steel Constant-Velocity Driveshafts by traxxas for the e-revo
    Last edited by rustyforlife; 02-25-2013 at 09:22 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    MIP CVD Spline Kit Traxxas Summit
    I'd stick with the stock plastic shafts.
    Sorry should explain myself more. I meant specifically traxxas driveshafts/axles.
    They make steel centre drives but not steel axles specifically for the summit.
    But i agree with ksb. would definitely take out the steels and replace with plastic.
    If the summit can go through; its not deep enough