RC Qualifier

Are they any good

just wondering if the traxxas batteries are any good, do they hold and take a good charge do they last long???? or is there a better brand out there for batteries
    The smartest person, asks the most questions...

RC Champion
    Yes, they're very reliable and offer good run times. Probably a little more pricey than other brands, but you get what you pay for.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

assuming your asking about the traxxas nimh then since you posted in the nimh forum right? i find traxxas nimh ok as far as life goes runtime with them are good i have found out in mine.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Champion
    I have 11 traxxas nimh powercell and had good results some are over 4 yrs old and still going strong they ranges from 7.2v to 9.6v and I also hv 2 traxxas lipo 11.1v , put can't say how good they are sense i just got them . Hope this helps
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Qualifier
    yes i am asking about the nimh batteries probably looking at getting the 5000 mAh series 5 one.......basically im getting sick of driving my truck and having a battery blow up every second time i run

RC Champion
    Got the stock 3000 in my summit. Get about 20 - 30 min runtime on them. Sure u do not have a charging issue or truck issue?

RC Qualifier
    no i just bought a brand new charger, and it charges fine, the batteries that are blowing up on me are a brand called VB or "victory battery" and they're brand new too so something must be wrong with them

RC Champion
    Just because u have a new charger means nothing. I had a new charger and it almost destroyed 8 batteries before I caught it. Now with my new good charger I just about have all the batteries back to normal

RC Champion
    Crock is right just because it new does not mean it is not faulty , I use a Onyx 245 on all my Nimh & lipos battery's and the only thing i don't like about it is it don't hv a discharge on it for my lipos .
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Champion
    To me it sounds like a charging issue. If they are being overcharged then u will run into issues. What charger u using? If it has a display what are u charging at? And what is the final charge values of the battery?

RC Qualifier
    i seriously doubt its the charger i have the "hitec x4 AC plus" its a very high quality charger, im charging the batteries at .5 amps as specified on the packs for a preferred charge rate and they take about 4000 mah even though they are 4600 mah new batteries wont always charge fully right away.

RC Champion
    U should be charging at about 4 to 4.5v. How many packs have poped on u? I have a hitec as well but only the 2 port. Keep a open mind just because its a good quality does not mean it could not be faulty. What setup is in your rc? Could be that u just got a bad set of batteries. Warranty them

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dann117elite View Post
    i seriously doubt its the charger i have the "hitec x4 AC plus" its a very high quality charger, im charging the batteries at .5 amps as specified on the packs for a preferred charge rate and they take about 4000 mah even though they are 4600 mah new batteries wont always charge fully right away.
    Then I would call the manufacture of your charger an ask them about your problem .
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Qualifier
    I'm running them into traxxas e-maxx stock gearing, and two have blown already but my other batteries seem to work fine so i don't know I'll have to double check the charger

RC Champion
    You could have gotten bad batteries then if your others are working fine. I would contact the manufacturer of the batts and try to get warranty

RC Qualifier
    What it make a difference if the batteries came with tamia connector and then I switched them to Traxxas high current ones

Are you running brushless emaxx? if so then no nimh will supply your system because nimh will always die and over discharge at a rate they cannot handle which leads them to die like that are. if your running the brushed model then you need some better nimh's perhaps the series 5 would help but right down to it nimh will always have that effect and shorter life normally than a lipo would. lipos are good for 300-600 cycles i've found out with proper care and the right charger for them. nimh can go fast and lipo can to with out proper care of each.

RC Qualifier
    I am running a brushed system... Is it bad to discharge nimh batteries before fully recharging them

RC Champion
    I only discharge them when I cycle them , bend told this is a good way to refresh nimhs may take a few time , Put you hv to charge them slow like 1 amp .
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Champion
    Hear article on refreshing nimh .
    What is reconditioning of a rechargeable battery?
    Reconditioning of a rechargeable battery is a process by which you regain the lost performance of a battery, If your rechargeable battery is not holding the power it used to you can mostly get the lost performance back by reconditioning the battery (exercise the battery) to restore the optimal performance of a battery, generally NiCD batteries required conditioning with every charge, but it’s not the case with NiMH batteries.

To recondition a battery you need to simply discharge it completely and then recharge the same, you might need to do this cycle 3-4 times to get the full capacity back, or if you have one of the smart chargers that has conditioning / refresh option that you can use that to condition your batteries, do note If even after conditioning your NiMH batteries you don’t get the juice out of your batteries or your batteries seem to not power up your devices as expected or drain out very quickly it might be time to retire the rechargeable battery as the battery might have developed high internal resistance.

How frequently do you need to condition NiMH batteries
    NiMH don’t need regular conditioning like NiCD batteries but I have generally noticed that after a dozen or so charges done of a NiMH batteries with intermediate usage or batteries that are stored for more than 6 months the capacity tends to wear off a bit and it’s good idea to condition your NiMH batteries once in about 6 months or after around 12 regular charge cycles to get the most out of them.

I have also found that recondition might be needed more for lower grade cheap non branded NiMH cell. Quality NiMH batteries like Sanyo Eneloops don’t need that much reconditioning compared to low quality NiMH non brand cells, I recondition my eneloops only once is about 20 or so cycles or once per year if they are not used much.

I don’t have a special charger with recondition / refresh / discharge option how can I recondition my batteries.
    The smart chargers like La Crosse BC 900 series or the Maha Powerex C9000 chargers that have recondition options like refresh / discharge make it very easy to recondition your batteries but you can also recondition your batteries without these special chargers, to recondition your batteries you just need to discharge them and charge them and you need to do this 3-4 times, to do this with your normal charger follow these steps.

First drain your NiMH batteries completely, a very easy way to do the same, if you have a LED based torch light is tot load the NiMH batteries and switch on the torch light and wait until it it dies, after it dies wait for about 30 minutes and then load these batteries into the charger and charge them fully, repeat this process 3-4 times and your NiMH batteries should be conditioned good as new.

Do note that you should not use a regular torch bulb incandescent type to discharge the NiMH batteries as it may over discharge the battery below .9V threshold which is bad for NiMH batteries, you can also use a high drain device to discharge the battery.

Also it is a bad idea to condition brand new NiMH cells, brand new NiMH will not give you the rated capacity but after 3-4 cycles of regular usage, they should give you the rated capacity.

Obviously having a charger that supports the reconditioning features makes it a lot easy to condition a battery.
    1 Rusty VXL

if you discharge at nimh to near dead lets say you run your emaxx till its not moving anymore you have drained the nimh cells way too far and possibly damaged a cell or 2 in the packs. Nimh is suppose to stop when the performance slows down on you noticeable ok think of it like LVC for lipo you need to stop before you damage a cell or the whole pack doing this even once will kill a battery.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by mike-susieq1 View Post
    if you discharge at nimh to near dead lets say you run your emaxx till its not moving anymore you have drained the nimh cells way too far and possibly damaged a cell or 2 in the packs. Nimh is suppose to stop when the performance slows down on you noticeable ok think of it like LVC for lipo you need to stop before you damage a cell or the whole pack doing this even once will kill a battery.
    This is posted on TRAXXAS WEB , Storing Your Batteries
    Nickel batteries should be fully discharged before charging, and should be stored fully discharged (just use the battery in your R/C vehicle until the battery can no longer move it). LiPo batteries should be stored at 50% capacity. Store LiPo batteries in a charging bag or case. Do NOT store LiPo batteries discharged, as this will reduce battery performance and may lead to over-discharging if the packs are stored discharged for an extended length of time. The Traxxas EZ-Peak Plus makes it easy to store LiPos properly; just recharge the pack using Storage mode and it will charge the pack to 50% capacity.
    1 Rusty VXL

funny it would say that i did that when i first got my packs and it killed them in less than 2 months

RC Champion
    Hear it is mike ,Storing Your Batteries http://traxxas.com/support/Traxxas-Battery-Basics and Traxxas support said the seam for Nimh battery
    Last edited by rhardy60; 02-26-2013 at 05:28 PM.
    1 Rusty VXL

found it there as well. my nimh died fast doing that and it was a traxxas power cell and i've had other nimh do that same thing i do this with my nicd batteries no matter whats its for like glow ignitor, ez start wand, rc's pack 9.6v and 7.2v those seems to do great with it since they retain memory effect but my nimh didnt like it and when i stopped doing that it was too late for them. If traxxas says to do this to nimh's then it must be so for their nimh's. Thank you for pointing that out to me though appercaite it.

RC Champion
    I never leave mine discharged. Fully charge put away and top up before a run. Never had issues. Only time I had issues is leaving them discharged. Look at all your cordless tools and lights. They never say leave discharged