RC Competitor

Question Ez Start making some weird noises

Sup fellow Revo lovers!

I was over at my brothers house yesterday and couldnt get his revo started. we compaired his and mine together and couldnt figure out why his revo was not starting

We replaced the glow plug wire because his was stripped and frayed ( thinkin that would be the problem )
    but still when we use the Ez start "stick" the ez start just clunks when it turns over.

also swapped the glow plug for a fresh one and still the same problem... I kinda think his Ez start on his truck is just edit time for a new one maybe?
    anyways heres a vid of what it sounds like so you can get a better idea of whats wrong.

thanks for your time.
    -cigar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xh_owhIcMQ
    Last edited by Double G; 02-24-2013 at 01:49 PM. Reason: language

RC Qualifier
    Well it sounds like it was spinning fast enough to turn the Revo over. The ez start does sound weird but it still working as far as the engine turning over. Is the ez start sending power to the blue glow plug wire? Thats where id start. If power is making it to the glow plug via the blue wire id reset carb tune and start over. Definitely that ez start motor needs to come off to be checked too. The other thing id check is make sure the fuel system is air tight. Good luck
    " You just got passed by a Traxxas"

RC Competitor
    Hi looking at the vid it looks like your ez starter the motor light was on check to see if the glow plug light is on if not send it into traxxas and it will get fixed if there is no power going to Thelma you got no chance of getting it to fire up

RC Racer
    if you dont want to replace the whole ez start plug thing just go to the store and get a glow igniter there cheap and they work quite well,m also there alot eisier then struggling to put the ez start wire on with a pair of needle nose pliers

RC poster
    I had a problem the other day where the glow plug light wasn't coming on (and, therefore, the glow plug wasn't getting power). It had a nearly new glow plug wire. I moved it around so it wasn't touching anything. No difference.I tried a different plug. Still no light. Then I figured it had to be a bad connection somewhere. I loosened the ground wire screw (yellow wire, on the engine mount) and retightened it and everything worked fine after that. Somehow it got a bad connection there even though everything was tight.

RC Competitor
    So my ez start cords ( all of them ) have been replaced.
    the blue one was looking pretty ratty and I figured I better do it all just incase.

glow plug is nice, clean and burns bright.

I took apart my EZ start and all the gears look like brand new.
    Is it possible that my "ez start can" ( the thing that has the EZ start sticker) could be hooped?

there is no way of pulling that apart to look inside.

after I put my revo back together it still does not start.
    Im not really sure what it could be.. fuel gets to the motor easy its just having a hard time firing up.
    Today im going to take the motor/carb apart and see what I can find out.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    thanks!!!

RC Competitor
    took the engine apart and everything looks decent inside.
    I don't really know what Im looking at but nothing looks wrong.
    The piston slides / turns smooth.

Before I took the engine out I had fuel pumping to the carb just like it should.
    but when I took the air filter off I had fuel spitting out the carb when I tried to start the engine...normal?

it seams like fuel is possibly not passing through the carb?

I also took the carb apart, should I soak it in something over night to get maybe some gunk that could be hiding inside it out?
    thanks again.

RC Competitor
    Here is a recap of what I have done to get my revo starting.

-checked the glow plug - Good
    -Replaced all the EZ start wires. ( blue one was torn up and I thought, maybe...that was my problem.)
    -Took the EZ start apart to see if any gears were stripped.. it looked brand new inside.
    -Cleaned the carb, found some gunk. I was pleased and hopefull that I found the source of my problem...NOPE!

I was beginning to think that maybe I needed to replace the EZ start motor so I bought one today and put it in.
    STILL acts the same way.

There IS fuel being sucked into the carb I can see it when I try to start my truck, so I doubt I need to replace fuel lines.

as im writing this I thought of re-routing my fuel line... brb with results

RC Qualifier
    take the glow plug out the motor, connect the blue wire to the glow plug and hold it on the side of your motor or on to the yellow wire (to complete the circuit) press you wand and you will see if the plug glows.. if it does then it alright. meaning it can only be the motor, it sounded like the motor was turning over though,
    alternatively try a glow starter as suggested, I ditched both the ez start and wires fir a pull start and glow ignitor as I got sick or the hassle with batteries and blue wires...

I take it you tried to prime it a little by holding your finger over the exhaust? or on the opposite end of the scale you haven't flooded it but normally the ez start would lock up and not turn..
    only other explaination I can think of is that ther pinch has totally gone and the motor is dead but even my really old beat up pinchless motor start up but die when warm.
    Last edited by RevoDeano; 04-05-2013 at 09:19 AM.

RC Qualifier
    If it starts to turn the motor over and then stops after a couple revolutions? Mine was just loose connection at the point where it connects to the starter motor. I just bent open the plug where the were the wire is crimped into,stripped off A little insulation, crimped it back together. All is well.

RC Competitor
    cool thanks guys.

I will try this over the weekend, family in from Denmark soo time is to be spend with them not tinkering =(
    lol

I know for a fact the glow plug works. throughout my problem I have checked it multiple times and even replaced a good one just too see if I got different results.
    and yeah Imdefinitely priming the motor.

I am not really sure what the pinch is though so that I will have to check out.
    sounds like it could be really bad.. hope its not

RC Qualifier
    I know you can see fuel going through the lines but you may have some old gelled fuel built up. Buy some pipe cleaners at the dollar store and clean the fuel lines out with simple green. Then wash out with hot soapy water then rinse and dry super good. Is it possible that there is gunk build up in the internal tank filter? I run a Big Daddy fuel filter on my line from my exhaust pipe pressure nipple to the tank inlet. Then i also run a bid Daddy fuel filter from the tank to carb. The big Daddy Fuel filter has a porous brass filter element in the filter and not just a mesh screen like other filters. Every gallon of fuel i check my fuel filter elements for gunk and the filter in-between the exhaust and tank is always nasty crap blown in from the pipe. I just dont trust those in tank filters. I also after ever gallon of fuel i do a pretty decent tear down of my Revo and clean, oil, lube, adjust what needs adjusting, check hardware tightness, inspect for broken, bent loose anything. I also run pipe cleaners through the fuel line as well.. My grandpa always told me to know the 6 P's to life "Proper Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Products". Hope you figure it out soon. Got me curious as to what the problem is. Good Luck man and enjoy the Family. Keep us up todate.
    " You just got passed by a Traxxas"

RC Racer
    go pull start i have had nothing but issues with the cheesey start plus a little lighter

RC Racer
    +1 on the pull start. If your Revo is/was running well and easy to start ditch the ez start. I did it, and haven't looked back!

RC Qualifier
    Sorry about the wire comment, for some reason I didn't notice your video before. I've had blue wire issues. Yesterday I was tired of messing with it so I just took it off and stuck my igniter on it. Fired right up. It also helped keep it idling in the cold morning by leaving it on there for alittle bit. It took A bit of juggling at first but then I put the igniter in the hand with the transmitter so I could leave the igniter on after I pull the wand off.Sometimes I have to give it some throttle for it to start, so trans is in hand. . My motor has to spin A while sometimes to start and when its doing that I'm really glad to have A starter on it.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ball View Post
    Sorry about the wire comment, for some reason I didn't notice your video before. I've had blue wire issues. Yesterday I was tired of messing with it so I just took it off and stuck my igniter on it. Fired right up. It also helped keep it idling in the cold morning by leaving it on there for alittle bit. It took A bit of juggling at first but then I put the igniter in the hand with the transmitter so I could leave the igniter on after I pull the wand off.Sometimes I have to give it some throttle for it to start, so trans is in hand. . My motor has to spin A while sometimes to start and when its doing that I'm really glad to have A starter on it.
    That's hilarious,
    I did this exact thing last night.
    I took the blue wire off the glow plug and stuck my igniter on it... lol same deal fired right. not one ounce of trouble starting!

Soooo iduno what the problem is, but blue wire is now gone
    and I am going to use the igniter+ ez start stick to get the revo started.
    until I get tired of that ( maybe never.. ) and put a pull start on, just so I have one less thing to carry around lol.