Thread: spur melted

RC Competitor

Unhappy spur melted

Hello

I've driven my ERBE today for the first time on a 6s and I melted my spur gear. I think the spur spring was tightened too much or the pinion was to close to the spur (I don't know) but I was thinking of a metal spur but is it worth the money or should I buy plastic ones?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Jasper Wouters; 02-24-2013 at 01:47 PM.

RC Qualifier
    The spur is made from plastic for a reason, its the weakest link. But cheap, and easy to replace. If you set the slipper too loose(so the clutch heats up and thus melts your spur) or set the gear mesh incorrectly, only your plastic spur will fail, and everything else will still be fine. When you set your slipper and gear mesh correctly, your plastic spur should last a long time. And if you need to replace it, its only a few bucks.

How did you set your slipper clutch? When you first use your revo the slipper clutch is set very loose to break in the clutch, you should drive carefully at first, and check your clutch's temps. After a few runs you should adjust it. Most prefer something like 1/4 to 1/2 from fully tightened.
    Last edited by WesleyK; 02-24-2013 at 02:09 PM.

RC Champion
    +1 this ^^^ Replacing a nylon spur gear is much easier and cheaper than a whole gearbox.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Competitor
    I first properly broke in and i've driven 4s for 3 months and bought my 2 3s a week ago and tested it today, my slipper is set around 1/2 to 2 turns firmer than stock, from now one I'll use 1/4 to 1/2 from fully tightened.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Set it where it slips slightly when you hit the throttle hard then locks up especially when running 6s

the slipper needs to be almost locked, on 2/3s, best way to tell is listen for the whirring..

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5388463
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasper Wouters View Post
    I first properly broke in and i've driven 4s for 3 months and bought my 2 3s a week ago and tested it today, my slipper is set around 1/2 to 2 turns firmer than stock, from now one I'll use 1/4 to 1/2 from fully tightened.
    Just reading that tells me you had it set incorrectly. You cant get 2 turns in from stock. If you are out 2 turns from fully tightened you will melt it if you run a single 3s.

It should be tightened all the way and backed out 1/4 to 1/2 turn. As 50 said excatly where its set is dependant on what packs you run, what tires you run, what gears you run etc. The general idea is when you are at a dead stop and nail it hard on a high bite surface is should slip for just a moment then lock up. Kinda like driving a 1:1 with a standard tranny. If you have heacy duty springs and clutch pressure plate and rev it and dump the clutch constantly something is going to break eventually. I have mine pretty tight, when I have prefect bite it slips for less than 1/2 second. I also run a hardened steel spur although many suggest to leave the plastic as a weak link. Well IMO the slipper is the weak link that doesnt have to be replaced at all when set correctly. If you do something that breaks the slipper that is on the high side of a gear reduction my bet is the spur will be the least of your worries. Ive never broken or burned one up but I have worn out a few. Since going steel I haven't replaced it.

RC Racer
    Did you melt the spur because the slipper was to loose or did you actually smooth off the teeth from the spur? I was having the later issue, I would actually go through a spur gear every run. I switched over to mod 1 gears and still happened, finally invested in the Hpp rear motor brace and all is good. Running 6s created so much torque it was flexing the motor mount plate and creating to much friction and heat for the spur.
    On my truck if I grab the motor and move it side to side it it will flex... a lot!
    Who needs brakes!!!!

I've melted a few too on 2/3s...if its also too loose you'll melt a spur in no time.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by oakvad View Post
    Did you melt the spur because the slipper was to loose or did you actually smooth off the teeth from the spur? I was having the later issue, I would actually go through a spur gear every run. I switched over to mod 1 gears and still happened, finally invested in the Hpp rear motor brace and all is good. Running 6s created so much torque it was flexing the motor mount plate and creating to much friction and heat for the spur.
    On my truck if I grab the motor and move it side to side it it will flex... a lot!

All the teeth of the spur are gone

I run 6s not 2/3s like every one writes, i wrote it rong I meant 2 times 3s instead of 2 and 3s

RC Qualifier
    Your problem might be fixed with the HPP motor mount:
    http://www.hpp-germany.com/factory-s...-edition.html&
    Shipping should be cheap and fast as you life in Belgium. Ordered the HPP hexes last night and they are already shipped .

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper Wouters View Post
    All the teeth of the spur are gone

I run 6s not 2/3s like every one writes, i wrote it rong I meant 2 times 3s instead of 2 and 3s
    2/3s is 6s...its 2x3s.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Good advise!

RC Qualifier
    Looks very very good! Almost can't withstand to order these myself now hehe. Ah, lets first wait for the HPP hexes to arrive. Will try to post some nice pictures of these too .

Rock n Rolla !

RC Champion
    Has anyone destroyed their gearbox yet?
    I'm converting my old summit Trans to an erevo one to put into my tekin powered erevo and the Lhs has never had the output drive gear in stock.
    I'm currently running a Robinson steel spur with 4s on my castle revo and it hasn't had an issue, built the car in December and only broke the front body mount. Car cartwheeled a half dozen times at the parking lot at about 45mph.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    Good advise!
    Quote Originally Posted by MITCH316 View Post
    Ordered both a week ago, patiently waiting.

RC Champion
    Some thoughts should be kept to oneself. Some are required to be. Per rules of this forum, this post fell into the latter category. Don't do this again.
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-25-2013 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
    Has anyone destroyed their gearbox yet?
    I'm converting my old summit Trans to an erevo one to put into my tekin powered erevo and the Lhs has never had the output drive gear in stock.
    I'm currently running a Robinson steel spur with 4s on my castle revo and it hasn't had an issue, built the car in December and only broke the front body mount. Car cartwheeled a half dozen times at the parking lot at about 45mph.
    you can but why, guys with Summits run the two speed & a Tekin, or a BL system..

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...mit-Bash-Video
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Competitor
    Thanks, I will order the hexes and the motor brace within 2 days (not enough money on my paypal).

RC Qualifier
    Nice! Keep us posted!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    Good advise!

It maybe a stupid question but how did you die your chassis black?

RC Qualifier
    Rit dye, can be found in American supermarkets as far is I know. Is used to color clothes. I don't know where they sell it in Europe, but you should be able to find that out. How to use it can be found all over the forum.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    boil some water in a big pot and pour in the dye and mix it up good and put the chassis in for 20/30 minutes .you can do the rocker arms too !

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by WesleyK View Post
    Rit dye, can be found in American supermarkets as far is I know. Is used to color clothes. I don't know where they sell it in Europe, but you should be able to find that out. How to use it can be found all over the forum.
    Amazon have on their uk store, so should be able to get throughout Europe.

RC Competitor
    I don't know of this is correct but I think this is it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DYLON-BLACK-...sr=1-2-catcorr

RC Racer
    Here is an amozon link for rit dye

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&k...l_69qgmq430n_b

RC Competitor
    Which one do you suggest

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    you can but why, guys with Summits run the two speed & a Tekin, or a BL system..

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...mit-Bash-Video
    The gearbox is not working 100%, everything looks fine inside but low speed doesn't engage, so I figured I'd just spend the $3 and make it one speed.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,