Thread: Jumping

RC Racer

Jumping

I think I want to do some jumpings. Should I put stiffer springs and stiffer oil in those shocks?
    Watch Out!!! My merv is a little green Hulk.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    What shock are you running?

RC Racer
    The stock shock.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Too heavy of oil will pop the cap on the bottom of the shock. I would stay around 60wt and maybe purple in the rear and blue in the front summit springs

RC Racer
    Is there information on the Internet that explains the concept of shock oil and springs

RC Champion
    Simple concept. Thicker oil slows the rebound rate (truck returns to normal ride height slower and smoother) 50wt is stock, I think
    Springs are available in all ranges. Stock, the truck is pretty under sprung especially if you run dual batteries like most do. Most go heavier to keep the ride height properly adjusted and to avoid excessive bottoming out.
    Welcome to Traxxas.com Yes, EVERYONE here IS a Pro Racer.... [/sarcasm]

RC Racer
    I just ordered purple and blue springs. Can't wait to try these out and see how these go. Is there a benefit of turning the knobs to make the springs tighter and stiffer, or should I leave it to factory default that is 47.75mm distance?

RC Qualifier
    A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...
    Might wanna raise it.

RC Racer
    I'm not following. Raise the car?

RC Qualifier
    There's a thread with a title around the lines of "suspension tips and tricks" in this forum, its an older thread. I just looked for it but can't seem to find it. (Taptalk is moody sometimes). Anyways find that thread, its got some good stuff about springs and oil weights. Helped me a lot.
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...
    Screw the knurled thing around the shock body to the right or left and the ride height goes up and down. You'll understand better when you actually do it.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tecboy View Post
    I just ordered purple and blue springs. Can't wait to try these out and see how these go. Is there a benefit of turning the knobs to make the springs tighter and stiffer, or should I leave it to factory default that is 47.75mm distance?
    With those springs you wont need as much preload because they are longer and stiffer

RC Racer
    I noticed there are very soft and very stiff shock oils. What kind of rc cars that uses very soft and very stiff oils?

RC Enthusiast
    My crawler uses a lower weight fluid and my old drifter would use a higher weight and stiffer springs so there was almost no play in that suspension to make sliding a lot easier. I'm still learning about which fluids work best with what myself, but I thought I'd give the 2 examples I know of

RC Qualifier
    If your jumping anything higher than how tall you are I would get better shocks. I jumped my 1:1 car with mine (someone said I couldn't make it over long way...but I did) and the caps blew off of 2 and they leaked like crazy all the time after that day lol.
    * "If it ain't broke, your doin it wrong" *

RC poster
    i dont know what car your running but i change shock pistons and dropped my oil weight down to 20, what you jumping?