RC Enthusiast

Differential/transmission problem

My E Maxx brushless makes a clicking sound when I try to stop. It has now gotten to where it does it some when I try to go forward and the front wheel drive is almost non-existent. Is this likely a problem with the metal gears in the differential or transmission or whatever it is called? I just changed the rear one. Also, I hate to admit it but I had a couple of small parts leftover from replacing the rear ones. They are small rings...possibly spacers??? They don't show up in the exploded views. Is it possible that Traxxas added these when it was built? Where in the heck do they go?

RC Racer
    Did you buy the truck used?

If not, the rings could be the outer part of your bearing.

When you say you replaced the rear diffs did you replace the spider gears or the large ring gear or all?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

RC Enthusiast
    I replaced the large ring gear. One of the 'leftover' rings I had was actually two rings, one really thin one fit inside the other on. The did seem to be about as big around as the bearing if I recall correctly. I could never figure out what they were or where they went...I know it is going to have to come back and bite me. However, I did replace two of the bearings in the differential/ transmission.

Oh, and no. I bought it new. I have had it about two years with no transmission/gear issues...well, except for the spur or pinion (the big plastic one)
    Last edited by cooleocool; 02-23-2013 at 08:20 PM. Reason: post merge

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    maybe it was a shim
    clicking when hitting the brakes is usually the front diff . probably a little hard on the brakes. replace the ring and pinion and i would shim front and rear diffs.plenty of write ups on how to shim

RC Enthusiast
    I am definitely hard on the brakes...always have been...I think it is cool on slick concrete and or sand. Can you give me a link or some pictures on how to shim them? I've looked and can't find anything...I must be special....

The diffs are pretty hard to get to. I assume you have to go inside them to shim them {while replacing the gear}?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 02-23-2013 at 08:21 PM. Reason: post merge

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    Thanks. This is good stuff!!