RC Qualifier

TRX 3.3 Piston removal problem

Few weeks ago I was driving my Revo 3.3 in the rain. Ran out of fuel and filled it back up and tried to turn it over with the pull start. Nothing. One way bearing was going so i sanded it up and oiled it up before putting it back in. That fixed the pull start slippage but it still wouldn't turn over. I then pulled it out of the truck and opened it up. To my avail, I see a sort of gum like substance with tiny, almost microscopic metal shavings on top of the piston. Tried to pull the piston out and it wouldn't budge. I lubed it up and everything, still nothing. After about 3 hours of trying to get the piston out, I got mad and broke out the hammer and screw driver. I was hitting the sleeve and it still wouldn't move. I'm pretty sure when manhandling it, i ruined the piston/sleeve. But how can I get those parts out to see whats wrong. Should I just buy a new engine or try to fix this one?
    SUMMIT |MERV * FIVE-T * REVO-E| T- MAXX-E

I wonder if the rain is what runined it... Any how, how many gallons on the engine? If it's less than 3 gallons, a rebuild might be cheaper, but if it's +3 gallons, you might want to get a new one. Just my .02 cents.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Post some pics to get an idea. How did you tried to remove it? I use a zip tie between the piston, and sleeve then I turn the flywheel.

RC Qualifier
    At 50togo, I tried that, the piston cut the zip tie in half when I did it. I'll see if I can find that picture I had of it. I have like 5 gallons on that engine

RC Qualifier
    I just did this. I had to heat the block using a hair dryer then used a zip tie. Worked great.
    One shot.....One kill, no exceptions

RC Qualifier
    Here's a picture of what I'm talking about...

Oh, that look bad, and weird. Is that "gum" full of metal shavings?
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Qualifier
    I have no idea. I didn't mess with it after I couldn't get the piston out

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasSummitCrawler View Post
    At 50togo, I tried that, the piston cut the zip tie in half when I did it. I'll see if I can find that picture I had of it. I have like 5 gallons on that engine
    Use a double loop of the zip tie or a thicker one, try putting some oil in the little notch between the sleeve and the crankcase.

RC Qualifier
    Alright, I got it out. Cleaned the engine up real nice and put it back in. Tried to start it, got nothing. Had fuel to the engine, glow igniter was full charged, no air leaks. I kept messing with the tune, place it to factory settings and still nothing. Ideas? I'm thinking I should just get a new motor and call it a day, lol

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I think for the amount of material that was on top of the piston, your engine is done, mine is done too, still debating between rebuild it or getting a diff motor.

RC Qualifier
    well, got it started, then it stopped. Pulled it apart and this is what I saw. She's done.

Yep. Had that happen to me when I leaned the engine out too much. You'll need a complete engine flush and rebuild--and it would be best to replace the bearings too.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Yep. Had that happen to me when I leaned the engine out too much. You'll need a complete engine flush and rebuild--and it would be best to replace the bearings too.
    Yeah, this engine has had about 3 rebuilds so I might just buy a 3.3 off a member here.

RC Qualifier
    Well, I got very made trying to get this piston out today and I just stuck a piece of metal into the header and used the ez start to turn it. Got the sleeve and piston off. Both were ok, so I put it back together and tried to start it. Got nothing but its all sealed up, so I took it apart again to check the bearings because I saw a little nitro on the chassis. I accidentally put the sleeve in, then the piston and the piston got stuck on a bur of metal. T this point I was so mad, so I broke out the good old hammer and just pounded the piston in. Bore the piston skirt and it was pushed into the sleeve. So, to make a long story short, I had to throw the whole engine out because I just have no patience right now. I'll buy a new engine sometimes this year, won't be soon though.

Judging from the 1st pic you posted, it wouldn’t have mattered what you did to the engine. It was done…well-done.
    No patience and a hammer usually does not end well.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Snook Man View Post
    Judging from the 1st pic you posted, it wouldn’t have mattered what you did to the engine. It was done…well-done.
    No patience and a hammer usually does not end well.
    Haha, nope. It was fun pounding in it though.