RC Qualifier

rattle can paint from walmart

So I want to paint 2 bodies one for my slash and one for my sc10. 6 bucks for a small can of paint is steep from my LHS. Looking into doing 3 to 4 colors per body that's close to 50 in paint. Was wondering if there was a specific paint from Wal-Mart I can use without it chipping off with some bashing and racing.

Thanks in advance.
    2wd slash, PL LCG, CC 3800, Powerstrokes, S6040

RC Qualifier
    i dont know about that the paint from LHS is made for those and goes to the inside of the body i have no idea whats in krylon
    Anza Slash & a pile of Parts

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by skye View Post
    i dont know about that the paint from LHS is made for those and goes to the inside of the body i have no idea whats in krylon
    Well I painted one body before so I know how to paint a lexan body. Just not looking to spend so much for a tiny can of paint.

RC Qualifier
    ^yes you paint the inside of the body, and I'm not sure if you can use different paints, just google what type of paint to use for the material of the body

RC Champion
    Probably a better value for a large can of this stuff than a small can of LHS paint.

http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion_for_plastic/
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Qualifier
    I guess they say use polycarbonate paint because the way the body flexes it could crack/chip the paint easier cause most paints aren't flexible, the plastic krylon might work but it also might not stick as well, I don't know how much plasti-dip is but I know that stuff is strong and the make it in aerosol cans not just buckets and also not sure of their color selection either, but IMO I'd do more research on it because you might have to spend 50$ on paint that's meant for it but at least you'll know it'll work rather then going cheaper and it not sticking and ends up messing up anyways then you're out whatever money you spent on the cheap stuff, or check online ebay etc. you might be able to find the paint cheaper than your LHS
    Last edited by XRated; 02-23-2013 at 02:59 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Going to look at polycarbonate paint specific for plastic. I heard of specific car paint for interior working. I think from dupli color. Not to sure though...

RC Qualifier
    I think you're talking about dupli-color vinyl paint right?, I've heard of that people use it to paint their seats in their cars, leather, vinyl etc.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by XRated View Post
    I think you're talking about dupli-color vinyl paint right?, I've heard of that people use it to paint their seats in their cars, leather, vinyl etc.
    Ya that could be it. I just think its a rip off to buy a small can that can be only used for one body lol.

RC Qualifier
    yea I know what you mean, like I said 2 post ago about you might spend more but it's better then spending cheaper and it messing up, but yea definitely if you find something and it works out for a good price post some pics so you could help us save some money hahah

RC Qualifier
    It's not a rip off, it is what it is. Regular spray paint will not work. Even the hobby paint that says "for plastic" will not work. You need to buy the stuff that says it's for Lexan or polycarbonate. That is the paint that will bond with the body and last as long as the shell. The other stuff will flake off in big pieces on the first use.

Whoever promised you that this hobby is not expensive lied to you.
    I Wanna Go Fast!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by zippogeek View Post
    Probably a better value for a large can of this stuff than a small can of LHS paint.

http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion_for_plastic/
    not a lot of color choices but it would work
    Anza Slash & a pile of Parts

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by snicklefritz View Post
    It's not a rip off, it is what it is. Regular spray paint will not work. Even the hobby paint that says "for plastic" will not work. You need to buy the stuff that says it's for Lexan or polycarbonate. That is the paint that will bond with the body and last as long as the shell. The other stuff will flake off in big pieces on the first use.

Whoever promised you that this hobby is not expensive lied to you.

Hahahahahaha. Believe me I know its not cheap. My airtonics mt-4 costs more then a new slash out of the box. I don't have anything cheap on either of my cars. Both my sc10 and slash have hundreds invested in them. I've painted lexan bodies before...but if I can drive to Wal-Mart and get the job done why not? Or I drive 25 miles to my lhs or 18 to another hobby shop to spend on some paint cans. I could buy pactra cans like before, but like I said I was considering an alternative if possible.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by XRated View Post
    yea I know what you mean, like I said 2 post ago about you might spend more but it's better then spending cheaper and it messing up, but yea definitely if you find something and it works out for a good price post some pics so you could help us save some money hahah
    Going to take the paint off one of my bodies and try some Wal-Mart paint with a rattle can adhesive paint for plastic. See what it does. And buy some paint from my lhs if it doesnt work out. I'll post back and let you know.

RC Qualifier
    Fusion on the inside doesn't work very well. Tried it. But what I'm doing now to give new life to old bodies is to paint them on the outside, using a combination of Duplicolor Adhesion Promoter and Krylon Fusion plastic-specific paint. I've done several bodies this way, and it has proven to be durable enough.

Too lazy to resize to post images here, but here are direct links:
    Adhesion promoter + Duplicolor ultra-flat black
    Adhesion promoter + Krylon Fusion tan/olive/brown
    Adhesion promoter + Krylon Fusion satin black & Kryone Fusion satin moss

I see this time and time again in the forums. "I have a body I want to paint but the paint to do it correctly is too expensive".

Here's my opinion. You just spent around $60 or so for 2 bodies but are going to skimp in the paint department and use paint that isn't designed for lexan or polycarbonate. You're better off just throwing those 2 brand new bodies you just bought in the garbage because that's where they'll end up when you find out that any other paint besides those that are designed for this WILL NOT WORK and will chip and flake out. Save yourself alot of time money and frustration and just buy the paint that's made for it. Those little rattle cans will go a long way. You should be able to do 2 complete SC bodies with one can (if for instance you are using one color). Since you are doing multiple colors, just buy one can of each color you need and you should be able to paint both bodies with one can of each color. You might even have some of that paint left over since you will be painting smaller sections of the body with one color then going to the next. Once you get into airbrushing, the paint will go even farther.

My motto when it comes to painting these bodies. Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
    Last edited by CarGuy7a; 02-23-2013 at 04:12 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Isotope View Post
    Fusion on the inside doesn't work very well. Tried it. But what I'm doing now to give new life to old bodies is to paint them on the outside, using a combination of Duplicolor Adhesion Promoter and Krylon Fusion plastic-specific paint. I've done several bodies this way, and it has proven to be durable enough.

Too lazy to resize to post images here, but here are direct links:
    Adhesion promoter + Duplicolor ultra-flat black
    Adhesion promoter + Krylon Fusion tan/olive/brown
    Adhesion promoter + Krylon Fusion satin black & Kryone Fusion satin moss
    Thanks dr I. Going to give this a try on my old raptor body.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by CarGuy7a View Post
    I see this time and time again in the forums. "I have a body I want to paint but the paint to do it correctly is too expensive".

Here's my opinion. You just spent around $60 or so for 2 bodies but are going to skimp in the paint department and use paint that isn't designed for lexan or polycarbonate. You're better off just throwing those 2 brand new bodies you just bought in the garbage because that's where they'll end up when you find out that any other paint besides those that are designed for this WILL NOT WORK and will chip and flake out. Save yourself alot of time money and frustration and just buy the paint that's made for it. Those little rattle cans will go a long way. You should be able to do 2 complete SC bodies with one can (if for instance you are using one color). Since you are doing multiple colors, just buy one can of each color you need and you should be able to paint both bodies with one can of each color. You might even have some of that paint left over since you will be painting smaller sections of the body with one color then going to the next. Once you get into airbrushing, the paint will go even farther.

My motto when it comes to painting these bodies. Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
    I understand what you are saying. But believe me its not that I'm cheap....I have expensive electronics and other mods done that cost coin because they are proven to hold up and work. Like the tekin rx-8 I have in my sc10. Like my radio...etc. Im looking for an alternative to painting my bodies that can work. If I'm told it won't work. Then well it won't work ill go to my lhs drop the coin on the paint I need and that's that. What's wrong with finding an alternative? If there is none then there isn't any. I've been in the hobby 2 months. Nothing wrong with trying to find some tricks or ways to save some money that I can use for a new set of barcodes or more track time.