Results 1 to 28 of 28
  1. #1
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Evansville, IN
    Posts
    305

    Hitting temps over 300*

    Just replaced the carb body and got new 20% fuel. As I have her idling there adjusting the idle set screw and low end screw, the temps will hit 300+. I got the hi speed needle 5 turns out. Also seems if temps are 250 or more then its very hard to start. Thoughts?
    Been on here for a while but forgot my original username.

  2. #2
    Marshal Double G's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tanker 822
    Posts
    9,675
    Make sure the carb is airtight. If so, your idle screw and LSN may be off. It should not creep up in temps while sitting still.
    The Super Derecho

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Evansville, IN
    Posts
    305
    The carb has all new Orings. I just pulled the tank/fuel lines and air tested in a sink full of water. All is good there.
    Been on here for a while but forgot my original username.

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Evansville, IN
    Posts
    305
    Been on here for a while but forgot my original username.

  5. #5
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Evansville, IN
    Posts
    305
    I also sprayed wd40 around the base of the carb and backplate which the engine did not die. Anyone got ideas?
    Been on here for a while but forgot my original username.

  6. #6
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Snook Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sugar Hill Ga.
    Posts
    8,374
    Yea, the engine is idling about 3X more rpm's than it should for starters. Decrease the idle gap until the idle is much lower or you will never get a decent tune.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

  7. #7
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Rochester,Wa USA
    Posts
    213
    I'm having the same issue with the exception of a high idle like Rubberman04 was/is having. A buddy of mine says he never allows his engines get much over 220 degrees. I'm aware that every engine is different though. On the Traxxas tuning card, It says that the optimal running temp is 270 degrees. The last thing I want to do is blow/seize up a practically brand new engine. My engine temps climb even at factory settings. I have the idle low enough that it almost dies. I swear up and down that I don't have an air leak as I have gone over this engine with a fine tooth comb. I don't know.... maybe I shouldn't be concerned as long as it doesn't get over 270 degrees but preferably no more than 230 at most as my buddy has told me. I know that factory settings are 4 turns counter clockwise on the HSN and flush for the LSN. Honestly... I don't know what flush truly is other than the LSN being flush with the inner ring around the carburetor. I made a calculated guess and figure it to be about 1 1/2 turns counter clockwise to be exact. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe this is where my problem lies.
    Traxxas Nitro Sport w/ TRX 3.3 Racing Engine

  8. #8
    Marshal Double G's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tanker 822
    Posts
    9,675
    I've found 1 3/4 for the LSN. At idle the engine should be cooling off a little. Otherwise it will not have much opportunity to cool down. When you lean the HSN the LSN becomes lean so it may need richening from stock setting.
    The Super Derecho

  9. #9
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Rochester,Wa USA
    Posts
    213
    Thanks Double G. Very much appreciated.
    Traxxas Nitro Sport w/ TRX 3.3 Racing Engine

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Evansville, IN
    Posts
    305
    After a replacing the sleeve/piston, sealing the exhaust manifold, sealing the backplate. This motor runs pretty now. It has a good idle and stays around the 270* area
    Been on here for a while but forgot my original username.

  11. #11
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Wildman4910's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cocoa Florida
    Posts
    3,941
    Was the P/S done for or did you just decide to replace it?
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

    LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

  12. #12
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Evansville, IN
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildman4910 View Post
    Was the P/S done for or did you just decide to replace it?
    i did it. it was the only option left and it runs great now.
    Been on here for a while but forgot my original username.

  13. #13
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Rochester,Wa USA
    Posts
    213
    Is it just me or do Traxxas engines run hotter than other engine manufacturers?
    Traxxas Nitro Sport w/ TRX 3.3 Racing Engine

  14. #14
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,994
    They don't have to run hot, but most people use crappy fuel in them or they just don't know what they're doing in the first place.
    erbe emaxx 26maxx s27revo 18tmrevo XXL platinum

  15. #15
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Rochester,Wa USA
    Posts
    213
    I was using Torco 20% but had to switch to Byrons Race Gen 2 20% because my LHS was getting complaints abut inconsistent nitro fuel content with the Torco fuel. My LHS stopped carrying the Torco fuel. Now all they have is the Traxxas Top Fuel and Byrons Race Gen 2.
    Traxxas Nitro Sport w/ TRX 3.3 Racing Engine

  16. #16
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,994
    Byron's gen 2 is good fuel.
    erbe emaxx 26maxx s27revo 18tmrevo XXL platinum

  17. #17
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Krugerville Tx
    Posts
    17
    Do u have any cutt-outs on the body u have for it. After I did the Break in on my new 2.5r my motor started running hot and i was running my new body and for whatever reason after I painted and customized the body I remembered duh I didnt make a cutt out in the front and rear windows. After that it was a gravy baby

  18. #18
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Rio Rancho new mexico
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman04 View Post
    Just replaced the carb body and got new 20% fuel. As I have her idling there adjusting the idle set screw and low end screw, the temps will hit 300+. I got the hi speed needle 5 turns out. Also seems if temps are 250 or more then its very hard to start. Thoughts?
    if its a trx .15 the temp should be 300
    2001 tmaxx, 2012 1/16 erevo vxl

  19. #19
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Nitronaught's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    18,503
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan8856 View Post
    if its a trx .15 the temp should be 300
    300 degrees is NOT normal operating temps.... Normal operating temps vary and should be anywhere between 210-270...
    Anything over 270 and your engine is not going to last as long in most cases. On most any Nitro RC engine...

    300 degrees carbonization of oil occurs in the combustion chamber....
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

  20. #20
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Rio Rancho new mexico
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    300 degrees is NOT normal operating temps.... Normal operating temps vary and should be anywhere between 210-270...
    Anything over 270 and your engine is not going to last as long in most cases. On most any Nitro RC engine...

    300 degrees carbonization of oil occurs in the combustion chamber....
    that's what the dude at the nitro rc shop told me he said it was because of the altitude so its prolly not normal up there but is normal over here
    2001 tmaxx, 2012 1/16 erevo vxl

  21. #21
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Nitronaught's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    18,503
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan8856 View Post
    that's what the dude at the nitro rc shop told me he said it was because of the altitude so its prolly not normal up there but is normal over here
    Metalurgy of an ABC constructed sleeve is not going to like 300 degrees,,,, I don't care what altitude you are at, it's too hot..

    Try tuning with 1/2 a tank and follow this tuning sticky... I bet you get better results... Please try it before your next post is why did my engine fail....

    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ul-Tuning-tips.

    Also you might want to try a different fuel and a fresh glow plug... I've had a couple makes of fuels that I'd go nuts trying to get the tune right... Found Odonnels Racing Formula 30% works great for me and holds a tune nicely... Been using it since 2005, switched off it for a little bit only to return to it...
    Last edited by Nitronaught; 04-05-2013 at 10:34 AM.
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

  22. #22
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Rio Rancho new mexico
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    Metalurgy of an ABC constructed sleeve is not going to like 300 degrees,,,, I don't care what altitude you are at, it's too hot..

    Try tuning with 1/2 a tank and follow this tuning sticky... I bet you get better results... Please try it before your next post is why did my engine fail....

    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ul-Tuning-tips.

    Also you might want to try a different fuel and a fresh glow plug... I've had a couple makes of fuels that I'd go nuts trying to get the tune right... Found Odonnels Racing Formula 30% works great for me and holds a tune nicely... Been using it since 2005, switched off it for a little bit only to return to it...
    alright well if i can get my truck to work ill do that im currently using traxxas top fuel 20%
    2001 tmaxx, 2012 1/16 erevo vxl

  23. #23
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Nitronaught's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    18,503
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan8856 View Post
    alright well if i can get my truck to work ill do that im currently using traxxas top fuel 20%
    I've got a decent RC background with nitro's.. Been dealing with them since 2004 racings since 2005 offroad Monster Truck and Truggy.... If you need to PM me.

    Best trick,,,, tune with no more than 1/2 a tank, deal with getting the HSN as best as possible, then deal with the LSN using the pinch test, after that fine tune the HSN and then fine tune your idle screw... Details are in that link I provided...
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

  24. #24
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Rio Rancho new mexico
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    I've got a decent RC background with nitro's.. Been dealing with them since 2004 racings since 2005 offroad Monster Truck and Truggy.... If you need to PM me.

    Best trick,,,, tune with no more than 1/2 a tank, deal with getting the HSN as best as possible, then deal with the LSN using the pinch test, after that fine tune the HSN and then fine tune your idle screw... Details are in that link I provided...
    no tuning is not the issue i had it tuned pretty good but when i put my head back on after a re-pinch i stripped one of the screws in the block you think i could use loctite to get the screw to stay in?
    2001 tmaxx, 2012 1/16 erevo vxl

  25. #25
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Nitronaught's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    18,503
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan8856 View Post
    no tuning is not the issue i had it tuned pretty good but when i put my head back on after a re-pinch i stripped one of the screws in the block you think i could use loctite to get the screw to stay in?
    I don't think loctite would help... Is this a head bolt? Sometimes you can use a helicoil, but often it's drill and tap to the next .5mm

    That could also explain your 300 degree temps if it's on the cooling head, cause now you have a compression leak.
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

  26. #26
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Rochester,Wa USA
    Posts
    213
    Just a quick question to everyone.... What is the lowest consistent engine temp you have ran on any Traxxas engine only? I haven't been able to get any of my Traxxas engines below 230/240 degrees. I know that's not bad but I'd like to see if I can get it a little lower. Between 210 and 220 degrees would be awesome.
    Traxxas Nitro Sport w/ TRX 3.3 Racing Engine

  27. #27
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Wildman4910's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cocoa Florida
    Posts
    3,941
    Quote Originally Posted by Monte_1977 View Post
    Just a quick question to everyone.... What is the lowest consistent engine temp you have ran on any Traxxas engine only? I haven't been able to get any of my Traxxas engines below 230/240 degrees. I know that's not bad but I'd like to see if I can get it a little lower. Between 210 and 220 degrees would be awesome.
    At 230/240 your right in the sweet spot, I'd call it a day.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

    LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

  28. #28
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Rochester,Wa USA
    Posts
    213
    Thank you for your input Wildman4910... I appreciate it. I figured I was ok considering the max temp on a Traxxas engine is 270 degrees. I didn't figure I would do it any harm. I like the fact the there's a cushion with a Traxxas engine. I mean...its seems as though you can run a Traxxas engine hotter than any other manufacturer and still be ok. If my memory serves me right... a friend of mine told me that normally you don't want to run an engine much more than 230 degrees but with a Traxxas engine you can run it a little hotter but not too much. It seems as though Traxxas engines are a little more forgiving like that. I really like that a whole lot. Also...I really like the Exclusive Lifetime Engine Replacement Plan. I don't know any other manufacturer that does that.
    Traxxas Nitro Sport w/ TRX 3.3 Racing Engine

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •