RC Racer

Upgraded to VXL....driveline uestions

I have been researching and am a little unsure of where to go at this point. i like to be a step or two in front of my next breakdown.

i currently have rpm arms, trx castor, rpm carriers, rpm front and resr bumpers and upgraded my springs, shock caps and some heavier oil

I have a rpm gear box on order and am looking forward to rounding out my rear.

But my question is in regard to internal gears, driveshafts, output yokes, etc. I don't know much in this area and have done quite a bit of reading. Mostly I bash with buddies so durability is the key.

Any direction is appreciated.

RC Qualifier
    your stock gears will be fine I picked up the slash 2wd brushed edition and upgraded to the velineon system and got the rpm gearbox all I did when I got the gearbox is I took apart everything cleaned and greased it all up if you want to do this here's a easy vid link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nchilUVF4ZY

My stock drive shafts have held up for a month and a half until this past week they got shredded due to some hard bashing and what not, but you could either go with the 4x4 slash drive shafts they're more beefy, or MIP C-CVD drive shaft kit for slash 2wd think they're about 30$, as far as yokes they make some hardened steel yokes for the slash 2wd look all this up on google you'll find what you want

Mip are very good,but i have blown more than one set,these have never failed me,never.
    http://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr1951x...stampede-rear/
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Mip are very good,but i have blown more than one set,these have never failed me,never.
    http://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr1951x...stampede-rear/
    nice, didn't know tekno had stuff for the slash I'm going to have to check those out good price for that whole set

I have beat these with velineons,cc3800's,even on 3s,and they have never broke,fell out of the yoke,there bullet proof.
    Mip's are very good,but have a weak spot were the ring hold's the pin in,tekno has gotten rid of that problem.
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Qualifier
    cool I think I'm going to have to pick me up a pair, are they compatible with other rear carriers

RC Qualifier
    I have beat these with velineons,cc3800's,even on 3s,and they have never broke,fell out of the yoke,there bullet proof.
    Mip's are very good,but have a weak spot were the ring hold's the pin in,tekno has gotten rid of that problem.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    will they work with the proline kit
    Anza Slash & a pile of Parts

No they have over sized bearings,and the come with two set's of carriers. + or- 1.5,and + or - 0.5 degree toe.
    So you can add or subtract from you stock settings,in minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by XRated View Post
    cool I think I'm going to have to pick me up a pair, are they compatible with other rear carriers

I have been trying to find that out,I believe they are making a longer dog bone,but im not sure yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by skye View Post
    will they work with the proline kit

RC Qualifier
    No they have over sized bearings,and the come with two set's of carriers. + or- 1.5,and + or - 0.5 degree toe.
    So you can add or subtract from you stock settings,in minutes.
    alright and I'm assuming their carriers are durable since you say you've had no problems

They have never failed me.Not once.
    Quote Originally Posted by XRated View Post
    alright and I'm assuming their carriers are durable since you say you've had no problems

RC Racer
    When I upgraded to the vxl system I felt my drivetrain was now my biggest concern for breakage. So I started this thread and got some great advice and some good products to follow up on and research. Well I was too late to pull the trigger and I shredded most of the rear.

Yesterday, while bashing at my normal location (launch about 9 or 10 feet in the air and about 10 feet long) I launch the truck and land awkward on the driver side rear. I continue to run a bit cause now I am maybe 30 or 40 feet away from my truck but when I do see the rear tire flapping I know something is wrong. So now I am a spectator of my friends and kid, no biggy.

I take a look and pull apart once I get home. The bearing in the rear carrier was shredded, where the half shaft (1951) meets is completely warped, the stub axle is slightly bent and it appears the inside of the bearing carrier is shot. I have a pic on my phone but really doesn't show anything....looks fine in the pic but a new bearing will not even make it back in the carrier holder. Its like the metal ring of the carrier is embedded.

So I don't really know what failed first the big air landing on the rear that bent the stub, that put the rear half shaft out of place, then shredding up the half shaft and then shredding the bearing in the carrier. Or some other scenario. Anyway I guess my self fulfilling prophecy of rear breakage came to fruition. Oh well.

Anyway I just ordered the tekno kit. I have to tell you this looks really strong and to me affordable. If you looked at upgrading a carrier, drive shaft, axle and drive cup from various manufacturers you would probably pay more and not have a uniform system. I am looking forward to try and break these too!

RC Qualifier
    Everything will be fine, just make sure your spur gear mesh is as close as possible but still loose so you don't strip it.

You should just buy Slash 4x4 rear axles, mine have been holding up phenomenally to the immense abuse of the mamba monster. (I'd probably go traxxas if I got new axles, though tekno might be better because of the bigger bearing.)
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

RC Racer
    You have the mamba monster in your 2wd slash. How do you cantrol that beast that thing must absolutely fly with the slash being so light compared to big heavy 4x4 monster trucks, etc.

That must be a sight to watch.