RC poster

Spartan Dual Rudder

I have heard about all the heating issues and have also experienced them my self and also I was not to impressed with the low speed maneuvering so I added a second rudder this extra rudder will hopefully make it run cooler longer. I put a spektrum telemetry reviver so I could watch temps too and since its hooked up to the new DX3R I will be able so set the radio to lower the steering rate gradually as throttle is applied. I also got bigger 1/8 ID cooling lines and upgraded the water jacket.

[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by carcode; 02-02-2011 at 07:48 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Did u drill the rudder barbed fitting and open the water inlet?

RC Qualifier
    Cool mod.

Are you going to run another servo, or cross link the two rudders to run off one servo?

If it is already hooked up, I can't make it out in the photo

Kevin

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    take that second rudder off!
    it will slow you down (more drag) and do nothing for turning
    adjust your steering rate to turn more if you need... keep in mind these FE boats don't need much input to turn good
    specially at full speed, they will flip if to much input is used
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

RC Racer
    obviously someone somewhere is selling spare parts for these boats any ideas any one? wouldn't mind getting a spare flex.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsta67 View Post
    obviously someone somewhere is selling spare parts for these boats any ideas any one? wouldn't mind getting a spare flex.
    offshoreelectrics.com is the best place to get parts
    First MiniSlash

RC poster
    Nope do I need to?

No I havent even connected them together yet I just had finished mounting them when I posted and im gonna stick with one servo.

I know but I like to cruse with the boat and launch it from my trailer so I need low speed maneuverability. I have tried dual rudder on other boats like this and it only slows it down 1-2 mph at WOT and It makes the boat more stable in chop and if I wanted to I could take the turn fins off since there not really need anymore and get the speed back.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 02-04-2011 at 10:18 PM. Reason: merge

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    On this boat is will do more harm than good, this is not a Wally Mart toy
    all you need to do is adjust the steering rate on the radio and it will turn very fast at slow speeds
    and you will get better stability with the turn fins left on.. two rudders do not replace the turn fins job
    that is why the turn fins are on the outsides of the hull not in towards the centerline
    Last edited by filmmaker; 02-03-2011 at 08:24 PM.
    First MiniSlash

RC poster
    Ive tried to use another servo horn and I wouldn't get the boat to do a complete turn in under a 35' radius. I have experimented with dual rudder and it preforms well. The thing is the boat is just so long and the ruder so small. on the side it does add another pick up for water.

RC Enthusiast
    At moderate speed turning left I can spin mine out and do a compleate 180 on a dime. helps a lot in small areas.

I run the stock rudder, servo, and radio. I just adjusted the endpoints with the menu and set buttons. its all in the manual.

RC poster
    Yeah I use my DX3R Pro with it and it didn't turn for squat even with the connecting rod at the inner hole on the rudder.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by carcode View Post
    Ive tried to use another servo horn and I wouldn't get the boat to do a complete turn in under a 35' radius. I have experimented with dual rudder and it preforms well. The thing is the boat is just so long and the ruder so small. on the side it does add another pick up for water.
    Uhhhhh????
    not really a true statement...
    this boat should about turn on a dime
    I know of FE boats that are much much bigger than this Spartan with rudders that match the size like this one, that when running turn on a dime

sounds like your setup is wrong some how
    First MiniSlash

RC poster
    I've done it on other boat and it works very well so I'm going from my experience.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by filmmaker View Post
    Uhhhhh????
    not really a true statement...
    this boat should about turn on a dime
    I know of FE boats that are much much bigger than this Spartan with rudders that match the size like this one, that when running turn on a dime

sounds like your setup is wrong some how
    I would never add a second ruddder to this boat, but this boat if far from turning on a dime. Turns on a large truck tire is more accurate, esp. at low speeds. Now at speed this boat handles and turns very well and an extra rudder would not be needed.
    Rusty VXl
    Spartan
    HPI Sprint2 VXL
    Slash 4x4 PE

RC poster
    I just keep it this way plus it makes it semetrical

RC Enthusiast
    ..."on a large truck tire", lol! carcode, if you're happy, rock on brother! Its your boat! Pros/cons, I dont know, but it looks cool!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmwilson09 View Post
    I would never add a second ruddder to this boat, but this boat if far from turning on a dime. Turns on a large truck tire is more accurate, esp. at low speeds. Now at speed this boat handles and turns very well and an extra rudder would not be needed.
    Bro, you should see the dimes I spend, they huge!
    who is going to run this boat inside a pool anyways????
    First MiniSlash

RC Enthusiast
    If you take off the side fins, I bet you'll flip the boat with the lipo setup on your first high speed turn. If you're worried about low speed maneuverability, you're luck this boat has reverse...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greek75 View Post
    If you take off the side fins, I bet you'll flip the boat with the lipo setup on your first high speed turn. If you're worried about low speed maneuverability, you're luck this boat has reverse...
    it wont flip without the side fins
    they are turn fins... it wont turn as good
    First MiniSlash

RC Enthusiast
    You're right, but a high speed turn without the fins and a novice driver on lipos, it might spin before it flips. With just the rudder in the water in a high speed turn, let's see what happens... No disrespect....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greek75 View Post
    You're right, but a high speed turn without the fins and a novice driver on lipos, it might spin before it flips. With just the rudder in the water in a high speed turn, let's see what happens... No disrespect....
    sounds like you don't under stand what turn fins do?
    they help the boat turn.....
    without them the, boat will make wide slow turns
    First MiniSlash

RC poster
    I was reading ur post and sounds like u don't want to hear from experienced people..... 1 rudder is most definitely all that is needed for excellent turning at any speed, don't take off the turn fins ..... u r right it is ur boat and I think u will find out what is said here to be what everyone is telling u. Good boating and show some video befor and after for us..

RC Competitor
    I can't wait to see it in action on 6s!!
    Watch this....

RC Competitor
    I don't see anything wrong with what carcode has done besides take the turn fins off....

Sure, the second rudder will add more drag and result in maybe 1-2 mph less speed, but considering the Spartans horrible case of chine-walk at it's top speed, it can definitely afford to loose some top speed.

Also I can guarantee that carcode will be having to retrieve his boat a heck of a lot less with this setup than everyone else pushing their Spartans too hard and getting blow overs....

Not only that but a dual rudder boat has way more stability potential compared to a single rudder boat.

To summarize, if set up right, Carcode your boat could perhaps be the most stable Spartan out there....

RC Racer
    This thread is from February 2011. I think it's time to let it go!

RC Competitor
    Ooops Sorry!

RC Racer
    Haha! Not your fault, but I just thought I'd put it out there.

RC Enthusiast
    How about an update on how it runs. There should be lots of test time in by now. I thought about a second rudder but held off after seeing this post and all the opinions against it. I would like see some data on how it performs.

RC poster
    Looks good, do you have any inside pics of your mounting?