RC Enthusiast

15 minute cool down? does it hurt anything if it's more like.. 12 hour cool down?

Hi.

I purchased a (new) revo 3.3 on Monday. It snowed some and was just cold out and I didn't have time to play with the truck at all. I had time today, and it was a little warmer out so I decided I would try to play with the truck today. I ran into some trouble getting it to start, and by time I did get it to start it seems that the battery in my ez start is dead, so I only ran the first tank of gas through it. I will be out of light by time the battery is recharged.

Will it hurt anything to wait like 12 hours before running tank 2-5??

Also, I kind of bent my glow plug wire. How do I replace it? I found the replacement wires on the site here, but they don't look like my wire? Mine is all one piece that is like connected to the thing you stick the ez start into??

Thanks for any help

RC Qualifier
    waiting to finish break in shouldnt hurt anything. As far as the wire goes you can buy a replacement single wire (4581X) and it comes with a tool to remove it from the 4 way connector you plug the ez start into. But if you can still put the wire on the glow plug it still should be ok to use.
    " You just got passed by a Traxxas"

RC Qualifier
    You'll be fine with the break in.
    Jato 3.3, Revo .28 JL Max, Nitro Stampede 3.3

RC Qualifier
    Warm your engine up with a hair dryer to around 100 degrees before you start it next time. Not only will it start easier it will prolong the life of the engine.
    Last edited by NvDesertRat96; 02-22-2013 at 05:26 PM. Reason: miss spelling

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the replies guys

I can still plug the glow plug wire in, but I think next time I take it out it will probably break completely. That wire is very fragile lol.. so I'll go ahead and get a new one.

NvDesertRat96, just this time or like from now on?

RC Qualifier
    pre warming the engine is always a good idea and a good habit to get into. The guys who race nitro use expensive engine warmers. Id say for at least during your break in. Definitely not a bad habit to form.

RC Enthusiast
    I couldn't wait until it got light out.. so I went to a grocery store and ran it in their lighted parking lot

All was going well. It is only about 30 degrees here so I had the cooling part wrapped in a sock and it was running at about 211 degrees, with the body off. I know you're suppose to put it on after the first tank (although I don't really see what difference it makes as long as it is running at a good temperature) so I didn't put it on because it wouldn't fit with the sock wrapped around the blue cooling fins. There is salt on the parking lot and water in spots, so i decided I should put the body on to try to keep some of the salt/water off the engine/parts. I wrapped the cooling fins in 2 cheap brand paper towels (not very thick so I used 2) and put the body on. Made 3 passes and checked temperature, was about 220 so I did another 3 or 4 passes and I flipped the car (I hit an icey spot, oops). I drove it back to me to look for damage (first time flipping obviously so just checking) and it was fine. Then it started smoking from the glow plug area, I took the body off as quickly as I could and killed it. Took the paper towels off and checked temperature - 312 degrees !

So, I used only one paper towel and left some fins uncovered. Put the body back on and started running again. Seemed a bit sluggish and then it would stop moving and would just rev and then would start moving/jump forward a bit and then rev and not move again. I guess like it was going into neutral and then jumping back into gear and then back out???

So I killed it..and here I am.

My glow plug area is brown from overheating I guess and my muffler end had some brown gas in it, and my glow plug wire is like melted a bit.. I did start it back up and it will start.

RC Enthusiast
    Okay.. no replies?

Well, I was looking around and found a video on youtube and it said something about the slipper clutch (I saw about it in the support section of the site, too) but didn't really think much of it. However, the video said about if the car will not move then check the slipper clutch. As soon as I heard that I went and looked at it.. and uhh...I lost 2 of the friction pads and the outside disk was about to fall off. I don't know how it happened, but that was my problem. So, I already rebuilt the slipper clutch (with the metal(?) rebuild kit) before even breaking the car in the whole way rofl

It was up to about 40 degrees today, so I figured I wouldn't wrap the cooling fins and see what would happen. It ran at about 200 degrees and I finished breaking it in. I didn't put the body on until after I was finished. Put the body on (cooling fins not wrapped, finished breaking it in - or at least I did everything the book said . It was running pretty good, however I am pretty sure it will not shift into 2nd gear, so I started leaning the fuel, still not shifting into 2nd gear. Leaned it a bit more (it's still about 3 turns from closed) and it still won't shift - at least not that I can tell. I go to lean it a tad more and .. it's smoking again from the engine. Yup, 297 degrees.. so I richened it about 2 turns. Not running too good and obviously still won't shift.

What's going on? How exactly do I change the shift point? I looked in the support section, and it said to look in the manual for your vehicle..I didn't see anything in the manual about changing the shift point.. but I looked kind of quick because I was frustrated and tired lol. I am pretty sure I know where the thing is to change the shift point, but I opened it and I just see the gears or something and nothing to change??

Why is it overheating for me? If it's overheating without the body on, and only about 35-40 degrees out.. I don't even want to know what is going to happen when it's 80 degrees out and the body is on..

RC Qualifier
    yeah going more than 4 turns lean is a problem. Did you change the glow plug after it got hot? To adjust the shift point there is a access port on top on the tranny you have to roll it back and forth till the notch in the gear and the adjuster line up and i think its a 2mm hex. (see below for link). Try running w/o the sock. If you pre warm the engine and the tune is good or darn near close to good it should run fine w/o a snuggie. But at this point you may have done damage to the engine. It was 23f here today with about 15f wind chill and had snow all packed around the engine and my Revo did just fine with out a snuggie. With a good tune it should run fine every time.Maybe its the wrong type of glow plug? Glow plug lenght with change engine compression. I run the Duratrax LR3 Hot Plug. Maybe you have a bad batch of fuel? I run Sidewinder 30/12. Good luck i hope u didnt do engine damage

Anyway here is the manual in PDF form trans tuning starts on page 34

http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...KC1433-R01.pdf

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by NvDesertRat96 View Post
    yeah going more than 4 turns lean is a problem. Did you change the glow plug after it got hot? To adjust the shift point there is a access port on top on the tranny you have to roll it back and forth till the notch in the gear and the adjuster line up and i think its a 2mm hex. (see below for link). Try running w/o the sock. If you pre warm the engine and the tune is good or darn near close to good it should run fine w/o a snuggie. But at this point you may have done damage to the engine. It was 23f here today with about 15f wind chill and had snow all packed around the engine and my Revo did just fine with out a snuggie. With a good tune it should run fine every time.Maybe its the wrong type of glow plug? Glow plug lenght with change engine compression. I run the Duratrax LR3 Hot Plug. Maybe you have a bad batch of fuel? I run Sidewinder 30/12. Good luck i hope u didnt do engine damage

Anyway here is the manual in PDF form trans tuning starts on page 34

http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...KC1433-R01.pdf
    I changed the glow plug after breaking it in. I used the 2nd glow plug that came with the car. I am guessing that you probably run with the body on, right? What temperature does yours run at when it's 20 degrees out? Do you have cutouts in your body?

Thanks for the link, although you could of just told me what page it was on haha I'll have to do this later on today

3 turns out from closed on a 40 day is way too lean. Tune and the slipper clutch have quite a bit to do with shifting and it should shift from stock settings. You could have a good tune but the slipper may be too loose.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by icecam View Post
    I am guessing that you probably run with the body on, right? What temperature does yours run at when it's 20 degrees out? Do you have cutouts in your body?
    I tune my Revo w/ the body off so its easier to get at the LSN. I dont tune till the engine is up to temp (160-200). I pre heat my engine to around 100*f the get it started, i putt around and make a couple passes till engine comes to operating temp. I also always start with a half tank till i get it tuned the way i want, then i top off the tank and go for broke or till its broke lol. When i got my tune where i like it put the body back on. So far no matter what the temp is outside, once i get it tuned in it runs around 180-200.

As far as cut outs go I have Platinum Body so i drill out some holes in the windshield and cut out the roof scoop. See attached pic

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the replies guys

I didn't even think it could be my slipper clutch since I rebuilt it. I don't remember exactly how tight it says to tighten it in the manual that comes with the rebuild kit, but I think I got close to that. In the video I watched, it said to tighten it pretty far, and then loosen it. I did that. He said you should just barely be able to turn it with your hand. Mine was like that. I tightened it some more today, I would really have a tough time moving it with my hands now. BUT ...it works! It shifts now and I didn't have to adjust the shift point. YAY! I thought it was fast last night and it wasn't even shifting to 2nd..wow was I wrong !

I still need to adjust the hsn and lsn and idle though. It likes to move a little bit on it's own when idling, I tried to adjust it last night but I was running out of time and it just kept shutting off on me and would still move. I have been trying to figure out where to put the hsn, but it doesn't really seem to affect anything for me except less/more smoke.. so I currently have it at about 7 full turns from closed. If I turn it either way I don't really notice a difference in performance.. just smoke. As long as I am happy with the performance, is 7 turns ok?? I have not even touched the lsn.

Also, I ran about 2 tanks through it and I had the body on since it's working ok for the most part now. Seems to be running about 190 temperature wise!

RC Qualifier
    7 turns is to rich. I would start over and set everything back to stock. Ive never had my HSN further out that 5 turns. Patients is the key. Find the sweet spot is glorious but the window is small. Every thing is small adjustments. And read everything traxxas has printed on tuning. Its a art form for sure.