Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

Tires/Wheels search

I'm currently running Proline 3.2 mashers on RPM revolver wheels. I canceled the order for the Thunder TigerMT4 GT wheels once I figured out those are not real beadlocks. I've spent the past couple of days looking for a new set of wheels and tires and I don't think what I want exists, maybe someone here can help.
    I'm looking for an "all around" set that can handle dirt and grass bashing plus some rare speed runs on my street.

they have to look decent, maybe a little larger than stock
    ideally not too heavy to break other parts
    something that does not rub
    beadlocks would be awesome
    under $100 for the set would be nice
    OK to be premounted if I don't need to take them off to tape them

RC Qualifier
    i love my 3.2 mashers on maximizer beadlocks taped. great all around tire and not heavy. another good setup is proline badlands they are a great all around tire not great for street but they dont wear out fast
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBVDW&P=ML
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNWR1&P=ML
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVS54&P=7
    6S OR NOTHING............................ maybe 5s

RC Qualifier
    oh and i got trenchers but i think they are just to big for the revo and cause alot of stress on the drivetrain

this will keep you busy

to keep the true bead lock beads in, silicone them...
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-with-pictures
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    trenchers are pretty hard .first ride wasted my stock shimmed diff with aluminum cups and case

RC Qualifier
    ya i dont like mine huge waste of cash

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    that's right diffs can handle it but hard on everything esle
    Last edited by 50togo; 02-16-2013 at 06:20 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    this will keep you busy

to keep the true bead lock beads in, silicone them...
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-with-pictures
    I went through the last 10 pages of that thread starting at the end since a lot of stuff is discontinued now, I'll find something I guess maybe the answer here is 2 sets

RC Qualifier
    already did the mod its a couple threads below this one

tires are a pain, you want "that" tire & you just can't get everything you want.
    You are correct you will need a FEW sets to have the tire{s} you need & want......
    rims & tires...
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Champion
    ^^^^^^^^what he said!
    A lot of folks come looking for the best all around tire but the bare truth is no such critter exists. You want at least 2 sets if not 3. I run road rage for the street, big joes or trenchers for bashing everywhere else where I dont care about traction and bowites for off road where I do want good traction in loose sand.

Im running 40 series everything and use the axial 40 series beadlocks. The larger tires I run on my off road basher that is geared lower.

RC Enthusiast
    I think I'm headed in that direction too. I have in my "cart" a set of street wheels/tires and the axial 40 series oversize beadlocks. Just trying to figure out if Big Joes 3.8 will fit the beadlocks or do I need to go with "the other 40 series", this is getting confusing

RC Qualifier
    Those big joes are hard on your diffs and drive shafts so be prepared to be replacing those often

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by mydudrevo View Post
    Those big joes are hard on your diffs and drive shafts so be prepared to be replacing those often
    Not if you gear it correctly. You just have to keep in mind that you need a gear ration reduction when running over sized tires. I have 51T spurs on both ERBEs. on road with smaller tires gets 21T pinion and I have an 18T on the offroad.
    The 40 series big joes fit the Axial beadlocks perfectly. Here is a pic I took the other day showing the 40 series trenchers and 40 series big joes mounted on the axial beadlocks.

Heres the comparison to the road rage 40 series that are actually smaller than stockers.

Last edited by JustinThyme; 02-16-2013 at 09:11 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the heads up I'll stock up on parts, the drive shafts are old stock anyway so it may be time to upgrade. Ended up with the trenchers instead of the big joes, same thing I know if not worse but I like the smaller version I have on my digger

RC Champion
    Trenchers are just a little taller than the big joes and not as wide.

RC Enthusiast
    thanks for those pics, big joes look better in that picture than the trenchers. I may need to order another set for the e-maxx. I skipped the road rage and I went with the HPI road setup.
    I think the revo is geared 20/68 and the e-maxx 18/68. I'll get some smaller spurs, that stock big one barely fits anyway.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    My revo was 22/54 and my maxx on trenchers 19/65 both ran cool on 4 cell

RC Qualifier
    I wasn't talking about heat just drive train breaking easier

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    My daughter had to have the trenchers on her e maxx. They are heavy and I have been trying to talk her into something lighter!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    My daughter had to have the trenchers on her e maxx. They are heavy and I have been trying to talk her into something lighter!
    ha, same here. She was looking over my shoulder at the big joes and she didn't like them so we got the trenchers.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by mydudrevo View Post
    I wasn't talking about heat just drive train breaking easier
    Can you elaborate please? I obviously need to be educated on the matter because Im not getting it.

From my understanding of physics drive train breakage occurs from too much torque too fast with too much traction and an incorrect slipper setting and has little to do with tire size. The only thing that changes with oversized tires is final output ratio of how much ground is covered per revolution of the tire which when geared the same as the smaller tires increases motor load. I can snap an axle just as fast on stockers as oversized with an incorrect slipper setting. Then there is fine tuning the ESC, with castle its the punch control, with Tekin its current limit.

Granted that if you run everything wide open and use the same gearing the oversized tires will snap drivetrain components faster but using what you have available, being gearing and ESC settings to bring it back to an even field the risk is no greater. No different than 1:1 monster trucks, its a no brainer that you have to have a higher reduction in gear ratio to turn the larger tires and prevent drive train damage from too much traction with too much horsepower and no gear ratio reduction. I learned this the hard way back in the day when I decided to put a 600hp small block chevy in a Chevy Vega and constantly battled traction off the line. Well when I solved the traction problem by using 1:1 beadlocks and dropped the air pressure to 15psi I tried to come off the line in the same fashion and broke every single lug bolt on the rear end and sat the chassis down on the tires. The solution was a 4.11 rear end over the 3.08 and a reduction in first gear and slight reduction in second gear on the tranny. Fastest darned Chevy Vega you ever saw! Pulled the front end off the ground and I ended up having to put a wheelie bar on it. Tires were 15 inch Mickey Thompson N 50s sportman profile.

RC Qualifier
    I'm not gonna get into this but 90% of people will agree that larger oversized tires like moabs will create issues sorry if you disagree I was just warning the op

RC Qualifier
    With RC cars, you really have to take the weight into account. The larger tires have a lot more rotating mass, and its extra mass in the worst spot - away from the center (hub). With Big Joes, you can add 50% more weight to each corner.

The problem with the 1:1 car analogy is that the tire/rim weight on a revo accounts for a huuuuuuuuge amount of the total weight of the vehicle, making the weight of the tires affect the drivetrain that much more. The tire/rim weight on the Revo is about 7x the weight of a tire/rim combo of a 1:1 car when you factor in scale.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    ...The only thing that changes with oversized tires is final output ratio of how much ground is covered per revolution of the tire which when geared the same as the smaller tires increases motor load...

RC Qualifier
    Thank you dean

RC Qualifier
    Which Axial beadlocks AX8014 or AX8042 for these tires 1103-00 (big joes)

RC Qualifier
    also can I use the Maximizer beadlocks with 40 series tires?

RC Champion
    These HPI Dirt Bonz tires are actually very good for all around use.
    I've been using them a lot on the street and they haven't worn at all, which surprised me since they are knobby tires.

About $85 for the tires and wheels unmounted. $60 and $24 at my Lhs.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by buduck04 View Post
    Which Axial beadlocks AX8014 or AX8042 for these tires 1103-00 (big joes)
    Both rims will work with Big Joes (or any 40 series tire)

also can I use the Maximizer beadlocks with 40 series tires?
    nope. Maximizers are only for 3.2/Maxx sized tires.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Dean .. went with axial non beadlocks with badlands --- completely different direction

RC Qualifier
    Great choice

I use to have a set for each terrain that I used my truck on...I no longer use my eRevo on the road as I just bash on grass and dirt now.

My combos now are GT2's on 1/2" offset Maximizer beadlocks and Badlands on 1/2" offset Desperados. They serve me well for the way I use my truck.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Enthusiast
    I saw that in the pictures thread, what are those GT2's? Where can I get a set?

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Dean .. went with axial non beadlocks with badlands --- completely different direction
    Do you mean these wheels:
    http://www.axialracing.com/assets/pr...jpg?1324423517
    Do they fit the badlands? Thought the bead is different as is the size (a little)

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by WesleyK View Post
    Do they fit the badlands? Thought the bead is different as is the size (a little)
    IIRC I believe badlands do have the traxxas bead. Those axials are for the 40 series tires. Don't think it will work.
    ERBE/JATO 3.3

Badlands don't have the Traxxas bead...as far as I know just the Big Joes and Trencher X's.
    Rock n Rolla !

Quote Originally Posted by WesleyK View Post
    If those are 40 series rims they will not work with the Badlands as they will be to wide for the width of the Badland. You are better off using something like the Geodes or Desperados for the badlands

Badlands on Geodes
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5320655

Badlands on Desperados
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5337077
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    http://prolineracing.com/tires/badla...n-truck-tires/
    Seems they have, I would have wished they didn't have the traxxas bead, as I really would want to mount these on the axials. I've been searching on this for days now, but I havent found a confirmation that the badlands fit on axials.

Edit:
    @your second post, thanks for the confirmation. I guess I will buy the desperados then

I don't have any pics of the actual bead but the badlands along with most of their other tyres have a flap of rubber that you glue to the rim whixch is not really a bead so to speak...it is basically the same thickness as the tyre.

This is the HPI GT2's...the Trenceher X's and Big Joes have a similar style bead on them where the others don't.

I've been down the same road as you mate and have wasted countess $'s on tyre/rim combos.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Enthusiast
    this thread is getting more confusing by the minute, I'm really hoping what I ordered will fit together but if they don't I'll have to buy another set

What do you "pro" guys go by when ordering tires/rims, part numbers? Because most of the sites selling them don't list full specs or rim compatibility, bead type, how much you can stretch them and don't even get me started on the narrow rims