Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    I think i'm going to charge up a couple of packs & try 4S! I gotta see how it runs after seeing ViperZ's...
    AB
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!

Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    First I need a motor, which should be coming any day. I think kdvanb on the slash forum snapped his LCG on a small jump, so that will be the next item on the list. Love your build so far, maybe if I wasn't still 15 without a drivers license we could bash together...
    Aha I read this whole thread and found this.
    I snapped mine by the nerf bars and slightly bent my center shaft that's all

Good luck with the 4s batteries
    I'm curious of the speed gain!
    Hopefully you don't break parts with all that power
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    Aha I read this whole thread and found this.
    I snapped mine by the nerf bars and slightly bent my center shaft that's all

Good luck with the 4s batteries
    I'm curious of the speed gain!
    Hopefully you don't break parts with all that power
    Thanks! according to the speed calc, it's geared for 49mph on 3s, It reads pretty close with the telemetry. I'm hoping to see close to 60mph!
    As far as breaking parts, I built this thing to be bullet proof. So far, so good!
    AB
    Last edited by aburg2; 10-03-2013 at 07:29 PM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by aburg2 View Post
    I think i'm going to charge up a couple of packs & try 4S! I gotta see how it runs after seeing ViperZ's...
    AB
    Do it man! Just be sure your tires are tape and glued well, it wouldn't even hurt to balance them.. Then be prepared to get a big smile that will be hard to wipe form your face

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    Do it man! Just be sure your tires are tape and glued well, it wouldn't even hurt to balance them.. Then be prepared to get a big smile that will be hard to wipe form your face
    Well, you were absolutely right about the tires! Prior to running, I pulled them off one by one, and checked for any separation of the bead, glued any gaps, and re-mounted them. BTW, these are the Pro Line Road Rage mounted on the 1/8 Split-Six's...I RUINED them! It flies though!!! I had a small incident with a curb too......no real damage, just scraped up my nice BLUE 17mm wheel nuts...
    But it works out that I'll have to get a NEW set of wheels and tires!!! And I'll be sure to follow your advice on setting them up!
    AB

RC Champion
    That happened tonight? I know my Rally with the Split 6 and Road Rages blew off the rear with a 4s. It was much better with 2.2/3.0 Beadlocks and Street Fighters.

RC Qualifier
    Here's the setup...
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I strapped 2 5000 mAh 40C Gens Ace LiPo's together & ran them in series...
    http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/ab...b617b.mp4.html
    I couldn't get full speed out of it after the first test run because the tires kept shuddering...
    AB
    Last edited by aburg2; 10-03-2013 at 10:49 PM.

RC Champion
    I couldn't get full speed out of it after the first test run because the tires kept shuddering...
    AB
    Did you balance them?
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Qualifier
    Here's the aftermath...Also, if you watch the vid, you can hear the tires shudder at times...
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    The tire came loose at the inner bead...
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Look at the difference in shape...the front left wadded the foam up into the tread & rounded the tire off...
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I guess I'll try these next, they're cheap enough!
    Also, I'll put a slipper in & take the ctr diff out so I can run telemetry again. The magnet holder won't fit on the FLM aluminum ctr diff housing.
    AB

RC Qualifier
    Did you balance them?
    Nope. But I will the next time!
    AB

RC Champion
    Amazing how burnt out those tires are

I think the 2.8 Road Rages are too thin walled a tire to be good for this type of application. They have no side wall support, and not enough structure. They're probably good for 2 and 3s operation, however 4s is pushing them. I found, the 2.2/3.0 Street Fighters on Beadlocks are much stiffer sidewall wise and thicker, stiffer in tread area they worked better for 4s operation. The Road Rages, you can pinch the tire tread at center, even after taping them. You should not be able to do that to a road tire intended for high speed.

It was the poor performing Road Rages that made me go the GT8 belted tire route.

RC Racer
    I would definitely suggest Sweep GT Slicks, they perform very well.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    Here's the aftermath...Also, if you watch the vid, you can hear the tires shudder at times...
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][URL=http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/aburg2/media/Rally%20Road%20Car/null_zpsa08a23c3.jpg.html][IMG]
    [IMG][URL=http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/aburg2/media/Rally%20Road%20Car/null_zps987b8c30.jpg.html][IMG]
    Look at the difference in shape...the front left wadded the foam up into the tread & rounded the tire off...
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I guess I'll try these next, they're cheap enough!
    Also, I'll put a slipper in & take the ctr diff out so I can run telemetry again. The magnet holder won't fit on the FLM aluminum ctr diff housing.
    AB
    you had too much fun running it on 3s that the tires got too thin to the point that when you went 4s it cant hold the power lol. suprasales wheels/tires are not any better either if you had plenty of run on them, you don't get any grip at all, the only time a got good grip are the first 6 runs (slick tires)
    i'm running on a set of wheels/tires from kyosho GT2 (non belted) which sucks cause at the 2nd run the rear tire came unglue, to find out they only spot glue it around the bead.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Champion
    I noticed my Kyoshos balloon a bit too in bench tests... I'm hoping to run them in today and see how they perform over my 2.2/3.0 Beadlocks and taped Street Fighters.

I have not tried my 45 Sweeps yet, but will another time.

RC Qualifier
    I noticed my Kyoshos balloon a bit too in bench tests... I'm hoping to run them in today and see how they perform over my 2.2/3.0 Beadlocks and taped Street Fighters.

I have not tried my 45 Sweeps yet, but will another time.
    I have the Kyosho soft compound slick. I haven't run them on 4S, but on 3S in the street, the grip isn't that great. I think they were made for cleanly swept tracks. I also have some Duratrax Banditos, which are taped and glued, but they are on 2.2/3.0 Pro Trac wheels, and a set of taped Street Fighters, also on 2.2/3.0 wheels. The problem I have is I'm running 17mm hubs and can't use the SC wheels. I'll try the Suprasales set, as they only have 2 or 3 runs on them. I'm also going to gear it up a bit, as I'm only running 15/52. I just need a wide open parking lot!
    When I get home in the am, I'll take inventory of what I have and go from there.
    Also, I may look into a set of those Sweeps!
    AB
    Last edited by aburg2; 10-05-2013 at 10:47 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by SH302 View Post
    I would definitely suggest Sweep GT Slicks, they perform very well.
    I had a set of the treaded Sweeps set-up for the upcoming GT-8 project on my bench. Looking forward to making some progress on that.
    ------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by thinkcooper View Post
    I had a set of the treaded Sweeps set-up for the upcoming GT-8 project on my bench. Looking forward to making some progress on that.
    I am sure you will be pleased with the results, This car is a blast set up as a GT8!

RC Qualifier
    I found these last night, they should be OK for a speed run, I just hope I can stop!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    AB

RC Champion
    Let us know how it goes

RC Champion
    Are those suprasales wheels?

RC Qualifier
    Are those suprasales wheels?
    Yes. I got 2 sets. Big lugs & those with the small lugs. Never used them. I use the ones with Big lugs on my Slash 4X4, work great!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    AB

RC Champion
    Yes. I got 2 sets. Big lugs & those with the small lugs. Never used them. I use the ones with Big lugs on my Slash 4X4, work great!

AB
    Thanks for the input!

RC Qualifier
    Hey guys, I've been doing a little work on the Rally lately, I just changed the gearing to 18/50, pulled the FLM center diff out to run a slipper with telemetry, got a new set of Suprasales treaded tires pre-mounted. I'm going to do a little Castle Link tuning and see how this thing moves. According to R/C calculations, on 4S it should do around 72mph, on 3S 54 mph. I'll be doing some test runs this weekend.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I'm also going to see if I can manage the ESC temps, motor runs cool, ESC hot. Can't figure it out.
    AB

RC Champion
    72 mph on a 4s? What motor is that? Let me know how it goes, I only hit 62mph on my 4s with 2650kv. Mind you it was a 18/54 gear

RC Qualifier
    72 mph on a 4s? What motor is that? Let me know how it goes, I only hit 62mph on my 4s with 2650kv. Mind you it was a 18/54 gear
    It's the Losi branded CC 2800kv motor. I'm going to try 18T & 19T with the 50T spur. Those numbers came out of the R/C Calculator. I'll be running two Gens Ace 5000mah 40C 2S batteries in series. I hit 52mph on 3S with 18/50 using an SPC 4100mah 40C 3S batt. R/C calc predicted 54.mph.

AB

RC Champion
    Well, keep us posted on how it does! I'm looking forward to running my road set-ups real soon too!

RC Qualifier
    Hey guys,
    I got a few 4S passes in the other night. I bench tested it and the R/C Calc was spot on, hit 72MPH with no load. So I put her out on the asphalt and got a first pass at 59MPH, then she started losing traction. I then got a couple of more passes, rolling onto full throttle a bit more slowly and got 68 & 69mph!!! Man that thing goes by fast!!!

I think I'll have better success with traction using better tires, I was using the treaded Suprasales, which work great for drifting, but I needed more grip. I found some Duratrax Banditos in 1:8 buggy size that I'll mount on some Pro Line Split-Six V2's. I've used those in SC size on my Slash 4X4, and they work great, with maximum grip, and minimum wear.

I may bump it up to 19, or 20T pinion..., probably end up smacking something & breaking my ride!!!

AB

RC Champion
    That's pretty amazing speed!

RC Qualifier
    That's pretty amazing speed!
    No kidding!!! I have to get some vid of it!!!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    AB

RC Qualifier
    Hey guys, I was just reading another thread and saw where he mounted a gyro to stabilize straight line running by controlling the steering through a helicopter gyro. I just happen to have a couple laying around! After seeing what happened with the first few runs where I lost traction, I wonder if a gyro would have helped. I think that'll be my next project, I have a Futaba GY240 that I'll mount to my 70MPH rally and see if it can hold a straight line on its own!
    AB

RC Champion
    May as well try it if you have one

This is the Futaba GYC420 in my XO-1

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the input Viper! I've been doing some research, and i'm finding conflicting info on what's best. Of course, mine is a Head Holding Gyro for a helicopter, the GYC430 is a rate gyro, designed for cars. I may end up buying one, but I'll try this one first to see if it makes a difference. Some guys have used HH gyros with success.

AB

RC Champion
    Let us know how it goes! I've been considering another GYC430 just to have for the other cars...

RC Qualifier
    Hey guys, I checked out all of my helicopter gyros and determined that I can't use any of them, as they all have the 4th wire for the transmitter sensitivity adjustment input. So, I guess I'll be buying a new Futaba GYC430 setup. I'll need it because I've been working on mounting a new set if tires. I picked up a new set of 1:8 Duratrax Bandito's C2 soft compound. I got a set of JConcepts Rulux wheels in white, so I could dye them blue, but they are a couple of mm's smaller in diameter and the tires don't fit correctly on them. I can actually fit the inner part if the wheel inside of the Pro Line wheel! So now, I'm in the process of removing the old Road Rages from the Split Sixes, and mounting the Bandito's on them.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Note the uneven wear, as I removed them, I saw that the tape had bunched up inside the tire causing this. I'm guessing that at high speed the tire still wanted to expand, causing the tape to release, then as the tire contracted, the tape gathered in areas and caused lumps in the tires.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I went from this...
    [IMG][/IMG]
    To this...
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    The Bandito's are a little taller, and have LOADS of grip!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    2 down, 2 to go!
    AB

RC Qualifier
    Here's what I went through to remove the old tires, and mount the new ones...
    [IMG][/IMG]
    After using an X-acto knife to carefully(I only suffered 1 minor nick in a finger!) remove the tire from the wheel, this is what I was left with.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    This is how it looked after using a small sanding drum with a Dremel.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I only taped the treaded portion of the tire, this is also where the strengthening ribs are...
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    The rears mounted...

BTW, I finally bought a tire balancer & weight tape. I'll be balancing them before I run it the next time. I watched the vibrations from the tires the last bench test I ran...all I can say is wow! And those were premounted!!!
    AB
    Last edited by aburg2; 03-24-2014 at 07:22 PM.

RC Champion
    Good work, the Banditos look good on the spit Six!

I have some Duratrax coming for Rally-2 as well that I'm looking forward to

I'm wondering if a person should tape the whole tire, rib included. I suppose I'll see when my tires arrive....

RC Qualifier
    Good work, the Banditos look good on the spit Six!

I have some Duratrax coming for Rally-2 as well that I'm looking forward to

I'm wondering if a person should tape the whole tire, rib included. I suppose I'll see when my tires arrive....
    Hey Viper, in looking at the Pro Lines after I took them off, I don't think it's the sidewall that we need to be concerned with from the expansion. It's mostly the tread from the centrifugal force at the very high RPM's that we run. Note this pic from my Slash 4X4 MT, these are Pro Line Mashers, pre-mounted, so I couldn't tape them beforehand:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Start...
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Full speed...pizza cutters!!!!
    While the sidewalls stretch a bit, the center of the treads take the most abuse. Being that I'm using 1:8 scale tires with a very short sidewall, I don't think it will be an issue.
    AB

RC Champion
    You're making me wanna do a 17mm conversion on my slash....

RC Qualifier
    You're making me wanna do a 17mm conversion on my slash....
    Here's my Slash 4X4 LCG with 17MM hubs/axles etc...bulletproof!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    AB

RC Champion

Full speed...pizza cutters!!!!

While the sidewalls stretch a bit, the center of the treads take the most abuse. Being that I'm using 1:8 scale tires with a very short sidewall, I don't think it will be an issue.
    AB
    Holy Rings of Saturn Batman!!