Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    RC Qualifier

ABurg2's On-Road Rally build

Well boys, I finally jumped into the Rally fray....I decided to not run my off-road trucks on the street anymore, so I'm building an on-road car. Here's the chassis, been following a lot of your threads and got aa lot of good tips. Thanks for the help and answers to a lot of questions! One thing though, I cant figure out which body to run!!! I'm open to all suggestions.

AB

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!

RC Champion
    First off, you have to disclose your set up....its a man rule - LOL

Second, NICE!!!

Lastly, if you dont run anything blue to match your parts, its imparitive that you run the stock orance body for max speed potential! HAHA

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Do you like the Ford Focus Body? Here are some pics of mine.

I have to agree with red. The car has to have a touch of orange to be a performer.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    The setup...LOL! Here it is...

[IMG][/IMG]
    I started with this...

[IMG][/IMG]
    And ended up with this!

CC MMP 2400, XO-1 suspension, HR Aluminum motor mount, HR aluminum motor plate, center diff 50K wt, Suprasales 1/8 Buggy slicks, Pro Line adjustable body mount in the rear. I'm going to build one of my chassis braces, get some softer springs for the XO-1 shocks, and waiting on some Kyosho soft compound slicks. I also have some Suprasales road tires on the way. And yes, I DO like your Focus body Digger! Is that Pro Line? But instead of Orange, I may go RED!!!

Cheers!

RC Qualifier
    More pics...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    The HR mount for those who are interested. A less expensive alternative to KH (which I also have) and still much better than stock, and also has the larger bearing.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Does anyone have suggestions on the best toe-in angle for the rear for on-road running only? With the XO-1 carriers, I have the -1.5 & -3.5 only.

Enjoy!
    AB

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I did not know HR made that mount with the oversized bearing. Very very cool and I like that its blue. Nice looking setup man. You pretty much have all the bases covered dont you.

Your body choices are VERY limited. I like the stock body alot. I dont like the focus body at all. I do like the look of an SCT body, lowered, with a snazzy wing though. So far, I dont think anyone has done a custom onroad rally "truck" yet. Might be a unique idea.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the comments Pave. One thing I'm still on the fence about is whether to use extended A-arms. I guess that would depend on the body I use. Also, what to you guys think the difference in handling is between the center diff & a slipper? I put a couple of 3S packs through it with 13/54 and 17/54 gearing on the Suprasales slicks, she spins donuts at will!!! I wouldn't mind being able to do a controlled drift at times.

AB

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I found the diff made it drift better on low traction surfaces.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Nice find aburg. It does have an Oversized 10x19x5mm bearing. They are a day late and a dollar short. Ugh! :what:

http://www.thetoyz.com/Traxxas/1-10-...-Racing/16644/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Exactly! I already bought 2 KH mounts. Then I found this. I only found it in black.

[IMG][/IMG]

So now I'm using the HR combo on the Rally.

[IMG][/IMG]

AB

RC Qualifier
    Well boys, after putting a few packs through, I started making a few suspension adjustments. I got another set of Suprasales street tires, and a set of Kyosho 45 soft compound slicks. I also got some softer springs for the XO-1 shocks. While driving it, I noticed that there was no weight transfer during acceleration, braking, or turning. I found out that the XO-1 shocks, while having very stiff springs, also had 60WT oil!!! I changed springs, put 40WT oil in, and added sway bars front & rear. Along with the Suprasales tires, she now handles pretty well!! I got another set of the blue shock bodies, and in keeping with the blue theme, got a blue Rally body! I lowered the body mounts two holes, and now here she is!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I also installed the telemetry sensors for motor temp and battery voltage.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

With the CC MMP 2400 system on 3S, 16/54, she goes like stink, handles well, and drifts pretty good too!!! This car is loads of fun!!

Cheers!
    AB

Man those treads really look good on there!! I'm hoping to finally slap my suprasales on this weekend. Yay!!
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Man, the blue theme is looking better and better! Did u say u bought 2 kindheads mounts??

Suprasales tires are looking good too. gonna have to grab some.
    Everything overpowered...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    Man those treads really look good on there!! I'm hoping to finally slap my suprasales on this weekend. Yay!!
    Yeah man, they work great! It's funny tho, they're NOISY!!! They sound like truck tires on rough concrete! But in a COOL way!!! Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by QYKSLVR View Post
    Man, the blue theme is looking better and better! Did u say u bought 2 kindheads mounts??

Suprasales tires are looking good too. gonna have to grab some.
    Yeah, bought two...bummer! The blue just happened to work out, as I was trying to keep it all Traxxas...Maybe I should get the 2400 from the Dragster!!!

Thanks,
    AB

RC Qualifier
    Ok, I pulled the trigger. I found the BLUE can 2400 on eBay. Now, I'll probably pull it all apart & dye the chassis too!!!

The BLACK N BLUE theme should really look great!

AB

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    nice Rally GT8 there aburg2. i kinda want to try this body but i'm building my XO-1 so i put a stop to my Rally GT8 and focuz with my XO.

still have my Rally GT8 and looks like this now
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

Quote Originally Posted by aburg2 View Post
    Ok, I pulled the trigger. I found the BLUE can 2400 on eBay. Now, I'll probably pull it all apart & dye the chassis too!!!

The BLACK N BLUE theme should really look great!
    AB
    theres also another blue motor and its a 2800kv with 5mm shaft which i have now.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    theres also another blue motor and its a 2800kv with 5mm shaft which i have now.
    Which one is that??? Another 400kv would have been nice!!!

AB

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the tip. I put a couple of them on watch. It's never too late to upgrade!

AB

...its never too much to have extra either lol.

RC Competitor
    This makes me want to convert my HCG 4x4. Seriously looking good man. Do you happen to have the part number for the xo1 springs?

Quote Originally Posted by case182 View Post
    This makes me want to convert my HCG 4x4. Seriously looking good man. Do you happen to have the part number for the xo1 springs?
    you can look it up at ebay for xo-1 springs http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...rings&_sacat=0

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by case182 View Post
    Thanks! You might think about how you're going to run yours before getting the XO-1 shocks/springs. I used them for the limited suspension travel for on road driving only. They are VERY stiff!!! I changed the bodies, and the pistons to the 1.4mm holes. The stockers are the stiffest rate with 60wt oil. I went with 40wt. If you are looking at off road, go with the 13mm GTR's.

AB

RC Qualifier
    ...its never too much to have extra either lol.
    exactly!!! Lol!!!

Ab

RC Competitor
    Are you running 17/54 primarily as your gear setup? How hot does the 2400 get? I was running 19/54 but went down to 14/54 as the motor got a little hot to the touch with that high of a pinion.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Somaj View Post
    Are you running 17/54 primarily as your gear setup? How hot does the 2400 get? I was running 19/54 but went down to 14/54 as the motor got a little hot to the touch with that high of a pinion.
    No, I'm running 16/54. after a 4100mAh 3S pack, it's about 140 degrees. I only have heat sinks installed. I still may install the CC fan, but I have to mod it first.

AB

I'm running my 1415-2400kv with 19/54 gearing (optional pinion) and a Promatch 3S 5400 50c. Last time I ran it at the school playground 75% grass it got up to 160. That was basically running it WOT with 65 ambient temp. I'm sure this summer I might have to gear down a tad or stay mostly on pavement.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Ok, I took BLUE out today for a spin, with my boy, btw who is 5, and can drive like he stole it! Anyway, I'm running it with the body on and started hitting 150-160 degrees on the motor, running HARD on asphalt. I can see that I'm going to have to vent the body somehow.

So, while we're running, I'm doing some speed runs, drifting, spinning donuts, etc, my boy cuts in front of me & I broadside his 1/16 VXL, and cause all kinds of carnage! It broke the 2 wheels on the impact side, broke an axle carrier, and shorted the servo. On his car that is...just sent mine flying like it hit a ramp!!! After installing a new axle carrier, servo & some new wheels, he was back on his way.

But... the JUST of this story is, It will take a JACKHAMMER to get the smile off of my face from driving my RALLY today!!! That thing flat out HAULS!! I can't describe how well it drives, drifts, handles, accelerates! WHAT A BLAST!!! Those Supra sales tires are holding up well!!! (Thanks Digger!) I'm going to have to get someone to vid me driving BLUE in the near future!

Cheers!
    AB
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

RC Qualifier
    Hey guys, I've been running my Rally pretty hard, I've noticed the temps a little higher with the body on. So I opened up a couple of vents to see if I can get some air flow. I also got my 2800kv motor in, will be installing it today....hopefully!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I've almost worn the set of Suprasales tires out! I had to rotate them to try to get even wear.

AB

RC Qualifier
    Here's the beast that's going in today....in keeping with the BLUE theme!

[IMG][/IMG]

AB

Quote Originally Posted by aburg2 View Post
    Here's the beast that's going in today....in keeping with the BLUE theme!

[IMG][/IMG]

AB
    nice, so you won that off ebay? or is it one of those buy it now? let us know how it compare with the 2400kv. i'm loving the blue.

RC Qualifier
    Cool. Are you going to do the blue aluminum shock towers? You are making me want to buy a Rally body now.
    Traxxas gone bye bye!

RC Qualifier
    nice, so you won that off ebay? or is it one of those buy it now? let us know how it compare with the 2400kv. i'm loving the blue.
    Yup, ebay...I tried to get one at auction, but the price went higher than this one, which was a buy it now. I got it installed, man is it fast now!!! I went down 1 tooth to a 15T pinion, still running 54T spur. I also put on a set of super soft slicks from Ky...., they heat up nicely and hold well on turns. I'll post pics when I load them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierravmax View Post
    Cool. Are you going to do the blue aluminum shock towers? You are making me want to buy a Rally body now.
    I don't know, although that sounds like a good idea! I have a set on my Raptor/Slash 4X4 conversion. They DO look good! AND...the BLUE is coming along nicely!

Cheers!
    AB

RC Qualifier
    OK, got the pics...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

AB

RC Qualifier
    Hey guys, since I put the 2800kv motor in, I've been noticing the temps around 170 running with the body on. It only gets up to around 145 without it. I decided to open up the front grille and punch some holes in the rear window first, but didn't notice much difference. Then I popped a few holes in the front windshield, and added more holes in the rear. Now she runs around 155 after a full 3S pack. I figured I would lose a little air flow by running the body so low, but didn't count on having such a problem. I'm only running 15/54 gearing, with no motor fan, only a heat sink.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I picked up a Proto Form PF-8 body that I'll be putting on next. Hopefully I won't have to cut any holes in it!!!

AB

you probably know this but, the PF8 is much wider (310mm) than the rally (295mm) body so, your wheels are tucked in, did'nt like how they are way tucked in. thanks to thedreadedend for helping me out on that issue. i did'nt cut any holes on mine and i have no heat issue but then again i have the MMM/2200 in there on 4s.

RC Qualifier
    you probably know this but, the PF8 is much wider (310mm) than the rally (295mm) body so, your wheels are tucked in, did'nt like how they are way tucked in. thanks to thedreadedend for helping me out on that issue. i did'nt cut any holes on mine and i have no heat issue but then again i have the MMM/2200 in there on 4s.
    I was thinking about that. You're running the Pro Trac arms with modded axles, right? Did that give you the extra 15mm?

AB

RC Qualifier
    Well, I put a couple of packs through BLUE today, trying to run the motor temp up with the body on, I had to pop a few more holes in front & rear. I also finally made it to my hardware supply & got the rest of the pieces I needed to complete my chassis brace. It's now on. AND, I got my Pro Line Road Rage tires in, to be mounted on 1/8 Split Six's. I still have to tape & glue them. I've almost worn the first pair of Suprasales road tires. They are a good tire, so I ordered another set!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

AB

are those the 30 series roadrage? and what wheels are those?