Thread: My new rally

RC Qualifier

My new rally

Just ordered the rally from tower with the $50 off promo. I'm not gonna do a build thread but I do plan on upgrading a bunch of stuff and will post pictures throughout. Orange is the color I went with because from what I read in this forum it's the fastest. while I wait for my rally to be delivered I do have some questions on what are the best options on the upgrades. So here they are. Anyone with any opinion or experience please feel free to share your opinion or personal experiences. Thanks in advance.

I want king headz motor mount.

Aluminum on all four corners. Is traxxas the best brand?

What's the best brand shock upgrade? I have pro lines on my slash 4x4. I like them a lot. Would they work for the rally? What other options are there for shock upgrade. I have proline and would prefer to try another brand just to switch it up.

What are the best tire/wheel combo to run on the rally?

Was looking at the axis aluminum brace. Is this worth the money?

And most importantly the power system. I want to run a mix of 2s and 3s lipo about equal. I want to go with either tekin or castle. I have castle in all my other rc's and love them. After hearing so many good things about sensored setups I thought this would be a great Rc to try and make the switch. Either way any tekin or castle suggestions would be great. Remember I plan on running on 2s & 3s evenly.

It's winter in New York where I live so I'm not in a rush for this to hit the streets. When it arrives I plan on removing the power pant (motor & esc) and te control (tx/rx) and selling them new to support some of the upgrades. I know in a couple months I will want to replace the power system from the traxxas vxl. So I figure do it now while its brand new. As for the tx/rx I have a spektrum dx3r pro. So why not use that and sell the traxxas tqi as new.

Thanks for any info. Also if I missed a upgrade that is important or essential to making this car sick please share.

RC Qualifier
    The aluminum bearing carrier for the slipper is apparently a needed upgrade. I run mine at the track, and have been using a Castle 3800kv on 2s. I love it. I use Tekin on my 1/8 buggy and wouldn't go back to Castle, but for a smaller motor, it is great. Smooth and fast, and great run time.

I am running JConcepts Rulux wheels with Proline Knuckles, they seem to be a good all around tire. I am using the 17mm Traxxas adapters.
    Cheap, Fast, Reliable. Pick 2.

RC Qualifier
    What esc are you running with the 3800kv castle? Is there a tekin combo that would work well in the rally? Sensored seems like it would be great for a rally. Iv got the castle 2400kv combo in my slash 4x4 and a mamba with a castle 1717 in my losi e lst Xxl conversion. They cog a little in thought a rally would be suited well with sensored. I'm still on the fence about the power plant so hopefully I can get some more feedback here. Thanks for the headz up on the adapter and wheels. As noted above I plan on getting the king headz motor mount so ill order there bearing adapter as well.

REMEMBER I WANT TO RUN 2S AND 3S. PROBABLY A LITTLE MORE 3S.

Still need some shock upgrades. Jangs review said the stockers were terrible. So far iv heard proline, traxxas gtr, and losi ten-t as options. Just looking for other options or reviews on the ones iv listed.
    Last edited by CoreyM; 02-07-2013 at 01:58 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Not much for responses. No one wants to help me? Lol!

RC Qualifier
    Well my rally came today. Box has red rally on cover but there better be a orange one inside. Don't have time to open it cause I have to run to work. Out of the box pictures to come. I'm hopeing this thread picks up now that my rally has arrived. I plan on pulling the power pant (to replace with a castle or tekin combo) and the tx/rx because I use a spektrum dr pro. Any help on upgrade questions listed above would be of great help. Thanks everyone.

RC Enthusiast
    The side of the box has 4 little pics of the different colors and there should be a dot or some kind of mark on the color that's in the box

I think a 4000kv pro4 motor would be nice

Have you run it yet?
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    No. I'm not gonna run it till I switch the power plant. That way I can sell the Vxl system new and the rx/tx. Use that money for a new power system. Thanks for the input. Do you have a rally? What are you running in yours if so?

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post
    No. I'm not gonna run it till I switch the power plant. That way I can sell the Vxl system new and the rx/tx. Use that money for a new power system. Thanks for the input. Do you have a rally? What are you running in yours if so?
    Me?
    No I do not have a rally
    I have a slash 4x4 so it's close

Ya I don't like the vxl in the 4x4
    It gets too hot for me

I want a castle 2400 in mine
    Only because I want that as a basher
    Get the new slash for racing
    Put a tekin pro4 3500 or 4000 kv
    In it
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Picked up the tbone bumper set (front and rear) and won aluminum for all four corners on fleabay. More upgrades to come of course.

RC Qualifier
    Add the gtr shocks, hot racing blue motor mount to the list.

RC Qualifier
    I like the proline shocks, but the new gtrs are looking nice! I also got the king head mount....havent installed it yet....NJ too cold to run and ive been busy with painting my bike.
    waiting for Traxxas to make something new!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Restlessrustler View Post
    I like the proline shocks, but the new gtrs are looking nice! I also got the king head mount....havent installed it yet....NJ too cold to run and ive been busy with painting my bike.
    Same here. I'm in upstate NY. I won't be running mine for a month or two so I'm just upgrading now. Gtr shocks, HR motor mount, and aluminum for all four corners. It will be a while before I can give reviews due to Mother Nature.

RC Qualifier

RC Qualifier
    Got some of my upgrades.

Aluminum for all four corners.

17mm hex adapters.

Hot racing motor mount.

T Bone front and rear bumper set

Traxxas gtr shocks.

RC Qualifier
    Does anyone know of any aluminum shock caps that will fit the traxxas gtr shocks?

I'm really looking for some good wheel options as well. If anyone can list any street or offload sets they recommend?

I'm using the slipper clutch should I upgrade to the revo parts? If so do you have the part numbers?

Want to upgrade the rear cvd's as well. Sould I go with MIP or the traxxas velocity?

My list of things still to get before putting together.
    Chassis brace (axis unless something better comes out in the meantime)
    Castle sct 2400kv combo (unless I change my mind)
    Tall battery mount
    Couple wheel choices

If you have any upgrade suggestions besides what's listed please share.
    Last edited by CoreyM; 02-22-2013 at 05:55 PM.