Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

RC Qualifier

Buying a new motor and have plenty of nooby questions!

Hello everyone, in the near future i will be purchasing a new motor. My vxl motor gave out on me and im down with no motor in my slash 4x4 right now. I have did a fair bit of research and what i want is the tenshock 3800kv sc401. This seems to be a very good well rounded motor? I will be using primarily 2s for now but i may upgrade to a 3s pack every once in a while. Right now i do not have a lot of funds so i will be just purchasing the motor. Later i will be buying a SC8 120a WP esc. Will this motor be fine on the vxl for now? I plan on doing my first solder job with the bullet connectors and will go with 3.5mm as the vxl esc already is. Will this work and then be fine when i upgrade the esc? I know im asking a bunch of questions. Also i think i will have to purchase a new pinion? Any and all suggestions are appreciated! Here are some links of what i plan to purchase!

Bullet connectors Click Here

The tenshock motor- im not sure where to get it? Built rc is out of stock, can't seem to find just motor on ebay? Chinese new year and long shipping from overseas?

Anything else that i am forgetting? Currently i have "two" 2s gens ace 40c batteries which i think will be capable for this motor?

Thanks for all the help!
    Last edited by idkhow101; 02-20-2013 at 08:58 PM.

traxxas emaxx
    I would personally go with the mmp sct 2400 it runs super cool and love it if you want another vxl or I have my mmp for sale pm me

RC Qualifier
    I don't have, nor want 3s at the moment. Also i do not want to upgrade the driveshafts etc with the power.

RC Racer
    Honestly I don't think the esc can pull it. I would even have doubts about the 40c batteries. The motor pulls serious juice. I have the hobbywing sct pro, and I'm debating upgrading to the tekin rx8, I'm getting voltage shut offs when I run hard. Did you call traxxas about the velineon? At least try to get them to replace it, then sell it. Use that extra money for a better esc.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrgold View Post
    Honestly I don't think the esc can pull it. I would even have doubts about the 40c batteries. The motor pulls serious juice. I have the hobbywing sct pro, and I'm debating upgrading to the tekin rx8, I'm getting voltage shut offs when I run hard. Did you call traxxas about the velineon? At least try to get them to replace it, then sell it. Use that extra money for a better esc.
    What pinion and spur are you using? Can you share more details about your lipo packs?
    Superman don't need no seatbelt-Ali
    2x SSC SL4x4

RC Qualifier
    Thanks guys, ive decided im going to go all out right away. Can i buy this and be done with it? I will just have to solder the tips on and ill be good? Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TenShock-120...60568174561%26

If you are going to run 2s and 3s i would look at the 3400kv. i run the sc411 3500kv in my pede 4x4 on 17t pinion and 54t spur on 2s and 3s with no heat problems..peace....Oh and i forgot to tell you it rips dude
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    1 last check guys just making sure i have everything i need! here goes

Am i ready to hit buy?

Go for it dude you will not regret it tenshock rocks.......peace

RC Qualifier
    Did it last night! Today i also bought (two) 2s 6500 65c lipo packs because i don't think my 5000 gens ace will be enough. Im so pumped!

Your new lipos will power that combo loads dude.Please give us a review when you have set it up and taken it for a spin....peace

RC Qualifier
    I definitely will. Also I want to have a thread showing EXACTLY what you will all need. It took me over an hour (about 3) watching other forums reasearching and reassuring myself just to order because I have it all lol. As someone who knows their slash but not much about upgrades then it would be really nice to have a review and what you all need so you can order right away!

RC Champion
    If it was that easy it would take all the fun out of it, no matter if it was posted there would still be 50 posts a week here asking which. If you do a search in this just in this section alone you will be busy reading all the "what motor to buy" posts for a week easy. None of them say tenshock.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    If it was that easy it would take all the fun out of it, no matter if it was posted there would still be 50 posts a week here asking which. If you do a search in this just in this section alone you will be busy reading all the "what motor to buy" posts for a week easy. None of them say tenshock.
    It really depends on how you plan on using your RC, your budget & what type of lipos you plan on using...Since you have "unlimited RC funds" you should do some data testing between sc401 v2 / sc411 & the comparable tekin & castle motors..Or if you prefer real world testing let me know when you want to resolve it in the dirt. That is, your pro4 v my sc411
    2x SSC SL4x4

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    Peolpe have all ready said tenshock will stomp all over tekin pro 4.....peace 2000watts of POWER

RC Qualifier
    Ok, well my motor accessories and connectors etc should be here around Tuesday. The motor and esc? Who knows, its coming from funshobby in china. Im guessing they will ship tomorrow and I've heard good things about their shipping so im expecting it sometime during next week. I have never soldered before so i guess this will be my first time. I have a few questions.
    1. If i happen to use to much solder or connect something wrong what can happen and will i be in trouble? (ex. blow up motor/esc)
    2. I have watched videos and i think i got it down. Can i buy this kit? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Soldering-Ir...item4d09e4f654 It will just be a start up, has 60/40 rosin and 60 watt iron
    3. After everything is done can i just wrap wires in a little bit of electrical tape?

Thanks

Just to let you know that funshobby shipping is great and they keep you in the loop on whats going on dude....peace

RC Qualifier
    This thread is now a build thread!
    Day 1: My first parts arrived from seller power_hobby on ebay. Arrived a day faster then estimated delivery through the standered shipping. Combined both for less shipping too.
    Final price shipped to my door as of 2/25/13 was $10.53 USD

Quote from back of castle bullets cracked me up "this product may contain chemicals known to the state of california to cause cancer and or birth defects or other reproductive harm. Please don't bite the bullet, literally.. Lol

RC Qualifier
    My haul for today!

I believe that this is all i will need. Now, the came with long shrink wrap for each of the esc wires, female bullet plugs for the esc, (none for motor of shrink or bullets). One i the things i was wondering about was wire which is all 12 AWG. Another thing is my integy 540 fan/heatsink does indeed fit.
    I was going to solder it all up but im a bit scared to throw 140$ out the window with a bad iron and tips etc. I will just take it in to the LHS for about 6$. I upgraded to the 3 in 1 box that was an option. (after your order they will email you and ask)... The spc batteries came right on expected date with both of the cells reading 3.84 on one pack and 3.86 on the other. I think i will try to get it soldered tomorrow so i can run it!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by idkhow101 View Post
    My haul for today!

I believe that this is all i will need. Now, the came with long shrink wrap for each of the esc wires, female bullet plugs for the esc, (none for motor of shrink or bullets). One i the things i was wondering about was wire which is all 12 AWG. Another thing is my integy 540 fan/heatsink does indeed fit.
    I was going to solder it all up but im a bit scared to throw 140$ out the window with a bad iron and tips etc. I will just take it in to the LHS for about 6$. I upgraded to the 3 in 1 box that was an option. (after your order they will email you and ask)... The spc batteries came right on expected date with both of the cells reading 3.84 on one pack and 3.86 on the other. I think i will try to get it soldered tomorrow so i can run it!
    You will not be dissappointed with the electronics or batteries..Make sure you take some pix of ESC / Motor installed in your 4x4 and post them for us to drool over..I can't wait to see a video of you running your new setup
    2x SSC SL4x4

RC Qualifier
    Definitly will do!

RC Qualifier
    Well, i got it all soldered and am going to hopefully run it for a bit with the new combo! I just charged up one spc 6500mah pack and about 3000 mah went into the pack from storage voltage. Can someone confirm if this is right or is my charger doing something wrong? When it ended both the cells indicated 4.19v

RC Qualifier
    Ok guys, im trying to get this thing to calaberate but i can't get it to save my life. The esc is 1st channel, servo is 2nd. Turn on tx, hold set, turn on, flash, let go, all good untill i set my end point, it blinks 3 times, then another 2 and it starts going crazy, motor forward backwords all over. What am i doing wrong? ill add a vid a bit later if needed

RC Qualifier
    What Rx are you using? Usually 1st channel is the servo and 2nd channel the esc.
    Traxxas gone bye bye!

RC Qualifier
    Nevermind, got it! This thing is a monster. I think i ended up with esc 3rd channel servo 1st. Anyone thinking about this combo go for it! I will get better pictures up of my setup later!

I told you that tenshock is a beast i am stoked that you like it dude....peace

RC Qualifier
    Now that ive tried it myself, i am clueless on the hype of the castle mumbo monster lol. Everyone drools over it when it seems the bec sucks, and its the same price as something like this or even more $. It seems like its only on this forum but i guess traxxas/castle are togeather so it would make sense right? Who knows, but this thing is a beast if your thinking about getting it! Here are some pictures

In the last pictue you see the mount, i needed to mount my esc throught the two open screws, so i was unscrewing it a bit and the screw on the top(closest to where motor would be mounted) was striped somehow out of the package, so i was tugging a bit(i know stuipid) and it broke off right at the screw point. Right now it is only their with one screw so whatever. I did buy a strc mount and will be drilling two spots for the esc into it and it is aluminum.

RC Qualifier
    Just for your info for the future. There are two channel ones. That is designed that way in cases where you would run two servos. Channel 2 is the esc.
    Traxxas gone bye bye!

RC Qualifier
    Ok all, it seemed a couple of my screws were stripped and 3/4 of them were stainless steel and i decided i didn't want to deal with it anymore

If anyone here has ever done a full screw rebuild could you give me a couple tips? Thanks

RC Enthusiast
    Sorry no tips but I do have a question. Where did you get the srew set? I think it says tony's screws but the picture is not clear enough to be sure.

RC Qualifier
    Yeap tony's screws

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks, the only tips I could think of that would help me out is to do them one at a time. I would get confused and end up losing something if I just pulled them all out at one time. Also maybe get some thread lock if you don't already have some.

RC Racer
    when i did it with mine i just took the truck apart put old screws back in the holes they came from then when i put it back together i just matched new to old and put the new ones it ...if your holes them self are stripped lock tight works... iv also used a epoxy put a little bit in the hole thats stripped put the screw in let it dry then un thread the screw and u have new thread

RC Qualifier
    Ok, a few updates and questions.... i haven't got any screws installed yet as that can wait lol. I just ran it today and ran a 6500mah 65c pack and it is still a monster.

At the end of the run i checked my temps with my duratrax flash point temp gun. ESC is roughly around 110 max from what i got and the motor was around 167 max but it was generally 150. I checked multiple times and probably averaged out to 150F
    I think i am good as this is after a full 6500mah pack?

Next the ambient temp is 35 degrees, though i was carrying a good load of heavy wet snow. Do you think in the summer when the ambient is 70-80 i will have problems because there won't be any snow to worry about? I hope i won't have to gear down. Here is a picture after the full pack

Do you think i will be alright?

Also, i got about 25 minutes of run time. Is this decent? I had the drag brake at 80% which i didn't like that much- do you think this had an effect on run time? I will be taking it down to at least below 25% as it makes it seem like the truck is sloooowerrr.

Here is a pic inside the outerwears cover after the run

As always, thanks for all the help!

Dude if you are bashing you dont need any drag break on that will make the motor run hot and make sure you have no timing thats another heat maker......peace

RC Qualifier
    Ok, that must be why it was soooo hot. Last time i ran it even though their wasn't **as** much snow it was only at 110 for the motor. Well im changing this right now. ONE SECOND

I run punch at 7-9 depending what mood i am in and breaks at 100 and reverse at 50-75 and lvc at 3.4 and the rest you know already have fun and not heat .....peace

RC Qualifier
    Ok, i just drooped my lvc to 3.2 so it brings it back up to 3.5 otherwise it was coming out of lvc at 3.78 or so... Do you think i will be fine if i replace this slushy snow with warmer weather?

Ok, i just drooped my lvc to 3.2 so it brings it back up to 3.5 otherwise it was coming out of lvc at 3.78 or so... Do you think i will be fine if i replace this slushy snow with warmer weather?
    With the new settings it will run cooler but in the middle of summer you may have to drop a tooth or two or get a good fan for the motor....peace

RC Champion
    Ok, i just drooped my lvc to 3.2 so it brings it back up to 3.5 otherwise it was coming out of lvc at 3.78 or so
    I had to do the same on mine.
    / 16