Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* AbSoLooT's Boss Build !! *

What’s up all!?!
    Some of ya guys have seen this one coming and remember it, But here is my first take on 1/16 Scale. if you I've been needing to complete this build for some time now, and I finally buckled down and started working, after I have been sitting on the complete parts (upgrades included) For some months now, while I did other builds.

Interesting thing, I had this all together. I did my x ladies truck, than finished my 100mph Rustler, than did my Winter Truck, now I finally have strapped down, and started putting this together. Sometimes I remind myself just how much I really enjoy this. I "put it off" for a while, than when I get started I cannot get enough. Now for example. I am at work, but really dreaming I was home wrenching
    So here it what I started with..................

Note: For a link to the thread that got it started: here
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...needed-as-well!

I picked it up from my local classifieds for 125. Not an amazing deal by any means, but a "good" deal. In parts I put more than the initial cost back into it. Easily. Just in electronics it was anouther 120ish. The Sidewinder ESC I already had, (although I factured in the cost) and the VXL 380, I picked up at my LHS. Big mistake btw.. Its like 67 retail, on ebay it was less than half that, brand new.. oops. than , plus all the upgrades, and parts, etc.... Cost, Smost..

Someone had an impact on the front end, and it had broken the front bulkhead. It was also very much neglected, even missing a screw or two.

Here is the shell it came with. Its in perfect condition, except for the "paint" job.

So of course first step was tare down...

The main parts… Electronics & Body.

Some of the upgrade goodies…

New bearings from Fast Eddy Bearings. Got some replacements, for the wheels. Ones that were in worst shape, and replaced the plastic bushings with, bearings also… I like to do it right the first time..

T-bone Goodies…

GPM Links, Hot Racing One way center Diff.

More Hot Racing Goodies…

And although I didn’t take the pic very well, I have a bin with 3 different sets of both wheels and tires.

The Tare down began…. I didn’t take great picture of doing so. But what I first did was take the whole thing apart, the screws and their dirt and rust went into soak into WD-40. Great for cleaning hardware, and coating it for future rust prevention.
    Also, down to the Diffs… I too had to take them apart, get the old nasty grease off… And also soaked them in WD-40. The Plastic parts, that I did not dye, I soaked in Simple Green.

The after results, super clean….

As for the chassis, and plastic parts. I ended up dyeing two chassis, and ALL the plastic parts, so they restore. For those who’s plastic parts are all “greyish” and old looking, This is one way to restore them. Clean them well, and re-dye them black. Works very well, and gives new life to parts.

Than the painful process. .. The bearings. These were a disaster!!! Dirty, inside and out. You could here the little particles, when spinning them. Although I did not picture this also, SAME process for these. First I soak in WD-40 to get most of the gunk off of them….

After soaking, have to painfully get the shields off each one, I only ruined one shield while doing so  But then it one has to spray it off with Electronic cleaner, and re-oil of course.. Than cleaning the shields inside and out individually… eekk..

But the after results are very worth it… Very clean… ! 

After wards, it was time to remove the anodization of the front and rear plate. I did this to the big block motor mount also, even though I was switching it out with an STRC one.

Btw.. Check that out… I use q-tips on my dremel!  Cut them in half, and then slide em in. works awesome… btw. If you do this. U HAVE to use the generic ones. The name brand q-tips fall apart WAY to easy, there too soft.

The after results.. Much better 

Than it was time to build and shimmy up the diffs. I actually did not know about this, but I ended up catching it before I attached the diffs,

Than with the transmission, and diffs put together.

Than shocks… These were a pain. To take these apart, and clean them up…. I rinsed stock Traxxas shock oil through them each about 5 times, till they were all clean. Once done, I filled them up with T.A. 70wt Shock oil.

After Diffs got installed on Chassis.

Side note, After installing the battery doors, and vents and all, I found these and forgot I had them. After opening the bags, and inspecting what was there, the already existing ones were in perfect condition. No need to install others, Mine actually looked better since I cleaned up the plastic danglers.

Side note…Check out the number of knuckles I got.. lol
    First…

2nd…

Final… The final decision. Fortunately I was able to return em each time, well first two times to LHS, than get something else, and order the HR ones. I love those little disk brakes.

Also, I was asked by someone how do I know where all the screws go? Mostly I think it was the order of building it. I know Traxxas 2wd to the last screw and where they belong. But these, I do not know. I used very useful videos of a friend, and fellow YouTube user DarkEclipticheart. They were a Merv build, a do great to see first quickly the order the parts went together. As for which screw belongs where, etc.. I used this… Blown up Exploded views of course. I print out the ones I have in life, and keep em in this binder. Worded great.

Going back, installed ball bearings on steering. And a Hi-Tech 85mg. It was a pain to get it in, because the way the servo wire comes out. But it’s in and looking good with its metal gear. Still have to complete its little custom Servo Horn.

And then the Rockers…. New ball bearings. And new bolts to complete the new look…

And finally where I am now. Once I stared this build, I haven’t really stopped. Funny because before this I did have some spare time, but never really started. Now… All the spare time goes towards it until its done. Even wish I was not working “at the moment” and working on it. If only that was my real job

I’m busting this one out, and I have everything I need. Il be finishing it extremely quickly. Except for the body, because I always stall for days on paint jobs, I still have 8 bodies to do. But I do have the Camaro ready to go, and some police lights that may go on the Camaro. Defiantly will see what kind of decals I can get to go with it if I do a police theme.

Check back in soon !
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-04-2013 at 05:37 PM. Reason: post merge
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

RC Qualifier
    Awesome build so far loot! Love build threads especially when I am stuck offshore working. Although I am on standby due to weather and transportation. Tomorrow will be the same thing. iPad and RC sites all day. I clean my bearings the exact same way, even use the same lube lol. It's weird reading about you building something other than a p2de. I'll be back!

Sent from Oser world

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Looks good LooT. I finally had a chance to read through it. Coming along amazingly. Always a fine builder for sure man. I'm watching this.

BTW I have a slow progress build in the Slash section. It might be on the second page already....I havent done any updating to it in a couple days.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

As always, thanks guys. Your comments are kind indeed. As always!

Don: i know right . Its crazy doing it. Very fun taking on a new chassis though! . I have a Slash 4x4 next.

Digg: thanks man! Il check ut for sure. You've been consistently pumpin out those buikds of all types. Your a fine builder yoirself my friend

Another amazing build as always
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

I shouldn't be watching your build threads too often. It makes me feel a failure every time when I am working on my cars.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    I shouldn't be watching your build threads too often. It makes me feel a failure every time when I am working on my cars.

Glad Im not the only one. It would take me months to collect all those parts.
    Everything overpowered...

Lol. You guys are funny. no worries. it takes me months to gather up parts to But I did it in the back ground, so no one knew. Than all the parts sat there for 6 months while I built two other trucks.... but finally it got its attention

Here are the updates. I still have to do full updates, but in the mean time here is where the truck stands RIGHT now.....

Check back in real soon! Il have updated pics of me stripping the motor, and all that good stuff. But shes comin along
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-04-2013 at 05:40 PM. Reason: post merge

RC Champion
    grab a up-close of those "calipers" for your next post too

BTW Im contemplating sending you my bulk-ties and motor and have u strip em! lol. But I am curious to try your method of q-tips with the drill. You have a DIY or just what info u put in the thread?

A DIY of how to strip the motor? I should have taken better pics, and all of what I did... But its very simple.

RC Qualifier
    This is sweet keep it up!
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!

Thanks!! I appreciate it. Will do

RC Champion
    Yea what is the main thing u use to get the anodizing off? I obviously know MOTHERs mag/aluminum polish. What do u do to protecct against rust or corrosion since there is no coating anymore?

Have u done any looking at companies that will clear anodize?

RC Champion
    I'm not sure what is going on here.....You're a P2de'r!!

Quote Originally Posted by QYKSLVR View Post
    Yea what is the main thing u use to get the anodizing off? I obviously know MOTHERs mag/aluminum polish. What do u do to protecct against rust or corrosion since there is no coating anymore?

Thanks Qyk. Main thing to get it off, Its Eazy off Oven Cleaner... The mothers polish wont get the anodization off. Well it well, but VERY difficultly, and itd take forever. Its job is to polish the tarnished metal, after it comes out of the Easy off Oven cleaner. It must be HD Easy Off.The Yellow normal can.

It only takes 5 minutes or so, than after the first spray, use a Q-tip to go back and hit the areas it needs it.... Than the mothers polish comes into play, to remove the Tarnish. Pics Below.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsawacs View Post
    I'm not sure what is going on here.....You're a P2de'r!!
    lol I know right I am still a P2de'r I promise
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-04-2013 at 05:41 PM. Reason: post merge

Like LooT said you can use Easy Off Oven Cleaner. Another option is Greased Lightning in a spray bottle. That stuff works wonders too. But whatever you do don't leave the alloy in the solution to long. I soak it enough for the anodize to come off the parts. I turn them while in there. Afterwards wipe clean then hit it up with Mother's to give it a nice polished look because it then becomes bare metal again.

Quote Originally Posted by AbSoLooT1 View Post
    lol I know right I am still a P2de'r I promise
    We are all P2ders at heart always!! No matter what other area we dabble in. LOL
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-04-2013 at 05:42 PM. Reason: post merge
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

The Vehicle getting its hubs installed:

And GPM Adjustable Links.

New Skids…

With all the main components(minus elecs) in.

Front bumper was not replaced. One of the few things. Still in perfect condition.

Ball Bearings on the Rockers, New Double Black and Double Tan Springs. They have been dye’d. That is why they are that Greyish Color. Dyeing springs does not work well at all…

Shiny Brand new motor…. This was actually kind of difficult to do. It was so pretty

The Velineon comparison side by side.

As above, Here is the motor, once it has had its anodization removed…. It’s usually real spotty, but after a couple times doing this, I have become much better at it, and it doesn’t come out so tarnished. This is when the Polish comes into play. The same small Mothers Aluminum and Mag polish container I had had, has done so much, and I use a very significant amount.

And then… Blamo…. (mounted with STRC Motor mount)

Than it was time to clean up the wiring. I didn’t get the ESC mounted, because I had to get some new 3.5 female connectors for the Sidewinder ESC, as it had 4.0mm ones before. But the Im not down with the Yellow, Blue and White, So it has to go.

After

*Btw… Some people are “afraid” to do so, because they need to see the colors for wiring. Nice thing about brushless motors, is if you do it backwards, its no big deal. What I do is just draw a diagram of the motor on a sticky note, and keep it. And if I install backwards, I simply switch back. No big need to keep the identifying colors.

Where the car stands, as seen in pics.

The vehicles ESC is now getting cleaned up, and dressed up. I have the new receiver for it, and all the other goodies I need. Just getting cleaned up and installed. Check back in soon, for this vehicles completion.

Thanks!!
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-04-2013 at 05:43 PM. Reason: post merge

RC Qualifier
    AbSoLooT1(y) Beautiful!!!
    I enjoy reading through your build transformation.

It's making me want to convert my merv to a rally.
    Where's the NoS bottle?

Great job once again

Other Velineon I did as well... On the URC forum, there is talk about a polished motor, not being able to let go of its heat as much as an anodized "dark" motor. I really dont know about all that, and I dont see the logic behind it. What I do know, is this motor here is ran on my Xladys/Current ladies truck and it has no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddykins View Post
    AbSoLooT1(y) Beautiful!!!
    I enjoy reading through your build transformation.

It's making me want to convert my merv to a rally.
    Where's the NoS bottle?

Great job once again
    Thanks! I appreciate it! It makes me want to convert my Rally to a merv. lol. Im gonna get a 2nd pait of shocks, arms, links, shafts, so I can go back and forth.I have Merv skid, and towers so I can convert real easy. Plus with the new Awesome Proline Bodies, No wing needed... So I plan on changing back and forth

NOS bottle coming, I have no clue where to mount it though. Such little room. lol.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-04-2013 at 05:44 PM. Reason: post merge

Oh man LooT does that look clean. Wanna sell it??? LOL j/k

I have an idea for the NOS bottle. You could fab a plate and mount it on the Front shock brace before the tranny or possibly the space where the second servo would mount?? You have a very creative mind so I'm sure you can figure something that will look great.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    I like the idea of mounting the NOS over the second servo mount.

Where do you get the colored screw adapters

RC Champion
    Love those CPE jack stands.

@Redsawacs , those are counter-sunk and flat-cap washers. You can usually use the Axial ones. Or LooT can fill u in exactly. I forget the brand but I have 3mm and 4mm ones in green/blue.

Digger: Thanks brotha man. Absolutly I mean, Absolootly. Thats exactly what I had in mind as well. I ordered a bracket that I mount them on, in attempts to do so. Im gonna be attempting to mount it above the second servo like you guys said. That or in the front above the bumper if that doesnt fit. Im waiting for the ebay ordered bracket to arrive.

And thanks again my friend

Red: Thanks man. I get them from Racer's Edge. They are available from them in Red,Blue, Silver, Purple. As for green, only axial carriers them in green.

Qyk: Thanks for the input. You get yours from axial? Im gonna be buying some green ones too.

Speaking of which- I got some silver washers for this vehicle, it just didnt really go with the build. didn't really match up,and they were a bit over sized. Im still going to take a second look at it, but as for the time being, they stayed out. Along with stainless screws, also didnt go as well as Black oxide.

Now time for updates.....

RC Champion
    Yaaaa time for progress pics bro!

Yea, I actually got mine from RC Emergency or w/e the site is. I got the blue off ebay a long time ago.

Kinda curious to see the silver washers, I think stainless screws would be too much.

I agree with you! Totally.. Great to know....

Ask and yee shall receive!

Bam update!

Here we go,
    Last posted, the motor had been completed. Stripped, and installed.

Now it was time to continue.
    First of course the install of the received. Funny thing is I ordered yet another, yet had one waiting to go.
    That was nice, because I thought I had to wait. So it was installed. With the space inside the receiver, This was a way to clean up the wiring. Easy to do, Just wrap around a hex driver, or any other long pointy tool.

Than Wire Wrapping the Sidewinder. I forgot to take a before pic alone, so here is one of both my sidewinders. I have Sidewinder 1, and Sidewinder Sv2 here for comparison. I ended up installing the SV2 in another truck, and the Original sidewinder in this one, as it is ¼ inch smaller on both sides.

After..

Btw, Is this not just Purrty?

Than after.

Batteries I got….. SPC Batteries. Here is the whole collection I have up to date.

Than bamo, time for wheels and tires! First set…. HPI Super Drift Tires, TE37 Wheels. 3mm offset.

Ya dem 20s!!!

Love how one can see the disc brakes underneath..

Next Set. Traxxas Rally White Wheels, on BFGoodrich Rubbers. …

Side Note: Before I continue… let me just say getting these wheels and tires on is a pain in the tail. Without this tool…. Ha! It’d be that much more tricky. I tell you, this little Nail tool I got in the local grocery store, made by.. Revlon. Lol Has been the most useful tool for the hobby… I have used it near every time I’m sitting on the workspace. And doing this without this tool… lol. Ya right. I slid it along, Just like a real tire machine. “same principal” But that made quick work out of these. Quicker work anyways….

So here it is:

Close up of Springs… I attempted to dye them, Not easy to dye of course. I may hit them with a coat of paint, but I actually dig the color they are now.

Double Black up front, Double Tan in the rear.

A lot of little things replaced. This way the ride looks brand new!

But going back, After installing each set of tires. I went for a quick Test drive in my kitchen. The thing has gobs of power indeed.

Here is the Parallel Battery Set-up. Forgot I actually had a parallel connector ready to go.

I also got a 3rd set. Well, 3rd new. I have 4 total including the HPI set the car came with originally. . Have a set of Green Gymkhanas. (no DC Logo) got a little late last night, so I didn’t slap these on and drive with them, since it was so late, and I was up bright and early for work this morning.

But here is the 3.. plus.. Check that background out ! Bet you don’t have one of those! I had one before they were even listed on Proline’s Website. Shame I thought I was the only one in the nation that would own one, without owning a Hobby store, and Still am now but soon that won’t be the case

I thought those were my last pics, but then I decided to mount the body. Lol Really dangerous when I do this, cuz this is when I make mistakes. Way late at night, and I want to do that one more thing.. Although I knew better, I did it anyways. Fortunately I did it perfectly, but could have gone the other route. Lol. Now the only big thing left to do is paint, and the NOS bottle that I mount on all my RCs.

Some more Beauty Shots

Thank you for the ones that have followed along with the build. Make sure to leave a comment, and ensure you do and let me know if you have one you would like me to check out also. Final, Final pics soon… With the body updated, and running vids..
    -Loot.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-04-2013 at 05:35 PM. Reason: post merge

RC Champion
    Looks like she needs some stance, say 3mm front and 6mm rears

RC Champion
    thanks for posting so many pictures, what color are you going to paint that camaro body. Your build is very clean looking
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

Thanks man. U know im not sure. I have a police light bar, was debating on doing a Police car, but Id need the decals. I have a decal printing kit, but not sure how they turn out, so I really dont know Il definatly see for sure...

But other than that...Maybe black....mmmm.. Its real tough to say... Ive been tryn to fiqure that out myself too

It is just always a pleasure to go through the pictures and read the text in between and conclude over and over again that you are an Absoloot genuine R/C nutcase. Of course of the best kind there is.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Qualifier
    Where did you get those jackstands?

Nice project man! Looks really good!
    I want an avatar... 3000 posts here we go!

RC Qualifier
    Loot, your build is awesome man! I assume you stare at this one a lot man. I enjoy your builds. Please keep them coming!!!👌

Sent from Oser world

RC Champion
    you should do a white body with a red stripe and black rims
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Champion
    Thats a good idea. I like the "Anniversary" schemes for maros. Or maybe white with a green like the kb wheels

And fanatic, those are CPE Jackstands, I sent u a link in PM

Yo LooT!! If you are still interested in a police theme, check this puppy out. At least an idea to start with.

I think I need to work on a PoPo theme in the future. That might end up being my next project.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    I like that. I wouldve done white CCFLs instead of Red/Blue in the housings. But cool nonetheless, Undercover Brother!

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    Absolutely beautiful build my friend. Just read the entire thread, which wouldnt have taken so long if I hadn't just finished reading through your Monster Jam Tires thread when you dropped the link to this build! Nice works as always brotha!
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

You guys are the best commenters a guy could as for!!!! I love the pics of the cars, all pointing the same way, The awesome suggestions, you guys are terrific

PeterJ: Thanks bro, Absolootly I am.. Two things I cant stop thinkn about,even if I tried my hardest. Women, and RCs. No sir.

Stampede Fanatic: Thanks man. They are Crawford Engineering Jack Stands. Funny how many people love em. They are fully functional. Alittle pricey at like 40 bones though. Btw. I was so excited when I hit 3K and got an avatar

DDon: Thanks man And that is awesome you say that, because I remember I said that to you. And your Absolutely right! I totally do stare at it! All the time. lol.

Revoman: Absolutly! I originally wanted to do a bumblebee with those colors. So I though about dyeing the KB wheels. Or..keeping em, for a diff body combo. I may do that.

Baldy: Thanks bro. Im happy to take up your thread time I appreciate it my friend. I really enjoyed this build. Also, the little boss is super fast.

Digger: Oh yes That is where I am STUCK! I have a police Light.. If this was a mustang, id jump all over it because I could do a barricade from Transformers. I also thought about a Bumblebee, but me having Black, white and green wheels has made me 2nd guess all my original ideas. Im still working on it, but believe I may do a police theme. Check it out

Last edited by cooleocool; 03-07-2013 at 05:41 PM. Reason: merge

RC Champion
    Those stands are like $18.99. On-topic the light bar looks sick! Im gonna have to break mine out of the packaging now.

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    Those stands are like $18.99. On-topic the light bar looks sick! Im gonna have to break mine out of the packaging now.
    Those jack stands are pretty sweet, but at 40 bucks for a set of four plus $6.50 shipping they better be rated for 6 ton like they say! Lol.

Those lightbar's are pretty cool, but the nice part about them is they can run on as little as 3 volts which allows for use with other lights and all powered off the receiver.

http://youtu.be/6tXErU2cPHQ
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC Champion
    "Bad boys bad boys" Oh sorry

And seems yea i didnt read lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast