RC poster

Help! Bad Brakes!

I am using an XL5 with a newer TQi transmitter on a custom built road car with the Titan 12T motor.

The only way I can invoke brakes (weak brakes) is to leave the multi-function knob(MFK) set to Braking% and at 100%.

If I turn the knob back to 50%, the brakes are then almost non-existent, and reverse also goes to 50%.

If I turn the knob to 0%, the brakes are GONE, and reverse is GONE.

I have set the throttle endpoints, and have set to factory endpoints. If I don't leave the MFK selected to Brake%, I get WEAK brakes by default. Even if I set the MFK to 100% in the setup menu and hit SET, then set it to control steering%, I lose brakes. It is set to electric mode.

What am I doing wrong?
    Last edited by cygnusx1; 02-20-2013 at 10:54 AM.

RC Champion
    Does anyone here really use brakes?

Sorry I can't help you, other than to BUMP...good luck.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC poster
    Just thinking about it and realize that I am using a pretty large pinion, that may reduce the braking force compared to what I got with the lower gearing, when the system was in the Slash.

It doesn't answer why I need to keep the MFK set to "braking%" to get brakes.

RC poster
    any ideas?

RC poster
    I figured out the radio. When cycling through the vertical menus (red blinks), I need to hit the set button initially to activate the mode, then turn the knob to a %, and then hit the set button again to lock it in. That worked.

My brakes are still not great, but I think it's due to the motor/esc/gearing combo in the car.

RC Enthusiast
    Did this happen only once you used the new transmitter?
    1/10 Rustler VXL