RC Qualifier

Diff Rebuild Question

Like with a 1:1 it gets filled 1/2-3/4 the way full and has a breather tube of some sort to allow for heat expansion.

So when filling the diff with fluid do you leave a little room for expansion?

I ask because its only been maybe a month maybe 6 weeks(about 3/4 gallon run time) since i switched to Erevo diffs. I noticed to night i had a snail trail on my rear diff. I pulled it apart and there was maybe a 1/4 of what i put in when i redid with 40k front and 20k rear. Just wonder if it was cause i need a lil room for expansion. Gaskets were good and the blue o rings were good, not pinched or rolled.

*after thought* I used high pressure marine grease on the ring and pinion gears
    Last edited by NvDesertRat96; 02-28-2013 at 01:16 AM. Reason: after thought
    " You just got passed by a Traxxas"

RC Racer
    no idea man, call traxxas support they are always really helpful

I leave a little room. It is best to use your desired weight in silicone oil designed for the diff.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    I leave a little room. It is best to use your desired weight in silicone oil designed for the diff.
    I use the Traxxas diff oil. To achieve the desired weights i mix the oils 50/50. This time im going 50K in the rear and 30k in front. See if i can get some power slides going.

I called Traxxas and the guy told me there was really no how to guide or tutorial and to fill up diffs while working the spider gears to get it all worked in. Then set the diffs in a jig so they will hold level and let sit for 15-20 to allow the air bubble to work there way up and that it should be full. Wipe off any extra that squeezes out when i seal it with the ring gear.

RC Qualifier
    I got my diffs all re assembled and wow is that 50k tight lol. Gonna put that in the rear. That should make climbing hills or playing in the sand a little bit easier. Would be cool if i could find a group near me to go to World Famous Sand Mountain. I need a excuse to buy sand paddles Hopefully new goodies show in the mail today so i can re assemble it all at once.