RC Competitor

Slipper Clutch Purpose?

Hey Guys,

I undone my slipper clutch adjusting nut by mistake while replacing my spur gear, and i'm wondering what's it purpose? I know the Bell clutch is the actual clutch for moving power from motor to gearbox, but im unsure of slipper?

Is it purely there as a safely mechanism if the gearbox gets a massive instant load? Or does it compliment the bell clutch somehow?

So basically, if its just there for protection of the tranny, it would not be 'terrible' to run the slipper clutch fully tightened??? (I didn't realise this was an adjustment, and went through 1/4 tank before realising i have over tightened) Could i have damaged the bell clutch?

Cheers
    ---------------
    Traxxas Slayer Pro 4x4

RC Enthusiast
    It's there for saving the tranny. I run my as tight as the manual says. Running it fully tightened will work but the tranny is in more risk of getting stripped gears. Used to run it very tight but gears inside the tranny didn't like it at all. Specially when I ran it tight with a .26 engine...
    http://youtube.com/adolfss0n

RC Champion
    You can tighten your slipper down all the way, but there will be a load of torque applied immediately to the tranny and other parts of the car. With my slipper tightened all the way, my E-Maxx Brushless does standing backflips. Which means a lot of power slamming through the differentials all at once. Not good.
    Last edited by Double G; 02-20-2013 at 09:32 AM.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

When you drive offroad the load on the driveline is always changing radically, unlike a smooth road or an airplane. So the slipper is designed to slip a little to take some of that stress off the driveline....

It's not a safe practice to have your slipper too tight it takes away from it's purpose.

It also helps if you get a bearing failure, something caught up in the driveline. etc.

I can tell you from first hand experience, I saved my tail by not locking down the slipper. You don't need to lock it down to get wheelies..... Street RC's don't usually have slippers but for offroad it's a must. IMHO...
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Competitor
    Thanks guys, makes sense!

Cheers
    ---------------
    Traxxas Slayer Pro 4x4