RC Racer

Rally Meets Curb

Well... My rally introduced itself to a curb at full throttle at the hands of my 5 yr old. His only task was to hit the gas and let go so dad could record it taking off for some slow motion shots at the wheels.

Within 3 seconds... And daddy yelling stop!! The Curb won! Though, the video below shows it grabbed some nice air!

Based on the telemetry kit and my iphone, It was at 48 when it met the slab. Soo, what actually happened? Photos and video provide details. But basically I need a new chassis, center drive shaft, front bulkhead and possibly front diff. I am unsure of servo, as well as the slipper and clutch assembly.

At least the boy is learning and hopefully dad can teach him some throttle control next time. Lol

"Incoming rounds always have the right of way!"

RC Enthusiast
    ouch that sucks it least you will get very familiar with all the parts to a rally

RC Champion
    Ooooh! I felt that one in my spine!
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Enthusiast
    That's too funny My son did that same thing the mine But into a tree Needless to say He's got his own Russler now Good times for everybody

RC Enthusiast
    I see u still have the stock motor installed. I was just wondering what u have your rally geared at to reach 48mph? thanks

RC Champion
    That was cute.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by BYRDMAN313 View Post
    I see u still have the stock motor installed. I was just wondering what u have your rally geared at to reach 48mph? thanks
    Stock gear with 3s is 45+ I think. and 19/54 with 2s for 40+
    Everything overpowered...

RC Qualifier
    Ouch, at least you can laugh about it now.
    Always get a 2nd Opinion!

RC Qualifier
    OUCH!!! that hurts to watch. I like the blue TRAXXAS lettering. I assume that was done with a sharpie?
    Who needs nitro, when you got LiPo?

Unlucky one.... I see a new chassis on the way .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Racer
    I will attempt to address all comments...

@Rusty4life: you're absolutely right! I was once very familiar with the stampede 4x4, so I can appreciate the simplicity behind traxxas' chassis and bulkhead design.

@zippogeek: I agree... A photo of my face when I cringed after hearing that "pop" when it hit the curb "spine cringing"

@M4nnysar: if you watch the video closely... It almost hit the lone tree on that outlet. Lol

@Byrdman313: I am not sure what its geared at, as I purchased it used, but practically new. I was running 2S 25C Lipo. Also, I made sure to "state" that the telemetry kit registered 48 on my iphone. I'm not exactly confident that the telemetry is accurate, as I assume it calculates speed based on RPM. I have the setting on stock slash, as the traxxas app does not show rally yet.

@Qykslvr: I believe you are right! And since I was running 2S Lipo, I wonder if the speed pinion is installed? I guess I'll find out when I tear the whole thing down. I have no clue what else could have broke I assume that the slipper clutch or diffs could be busted. I can spin the wheels and when I spin a rear wheel, the other rear wheel spins. Same for font, but not all spin, as you can clearly see that the bent driveshaft will not spin. That driveshaft is literally locked into place!

@Mugs and Zepher: yeah, it's funny now. Even funny then, as he felt bad for a moment, because he thought he wasn't a good driver. But then he laughed about it and clearly misunderstood the allowance part, as he went off running yelling yippee I get money. The wife thought it was hilarious and says serves me right for letting a recently turned 5 yr old play with a 400 RC car.

@4wheelin: yes... Blue sharpie! It's amazing what those things can do to enhance little things. I did the rims with the same blue marker. Just have to be careful and steady. One mistake and its permanent. Lol. I made a tiny boo boo on one of the rims, but its only noticeable if I point it out.

@craig.mitch: yep; a new chassi, poss. Front bulkhead, possibly front diff and possibly rear diff, new driveshaft, possibly servo, possibly slipper too. I'll let everyone know with some photos.

By the way... Zippogeek, your quote is spot on! I'm usually that idiot who comes along and makes engineers cringe

Thanks guys! Anyone have some extra parts lying around. Ha ha ha.

Joe

I'll be watching...I'm sure if I let my youngster have a go a similar thing would happen .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Champion
    Almost sounds as if a diff got "locked"

And its definitely possible that the speed gear is installed. Or another pinion for that matter,
    Everything overpowered...

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Ouch!! BTW nice vid man. Might want to think about a chassis brace in the future. It might have saved you a chassis and some down time. Axis RC has one that is really clean. Just a thought.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Racer
    Thanks digg,

I was thinking about that for when I replace the broken parts... Though, a brace on the chassis could have still not been enough. May have saved chassis from breaking, but would the sudden jolt from the hit cause other internal damage?

I'll have to see what all happened this weekend when I tear it down.

@Qykslvr: I hope the diff isn't locked. I can spin the wheels, and no clicking sound or rough spots. I spin the rear wheel and the other rear wheel spins. I do the same with the front and that works. But not all four move at the same time. Largely due to the center driveshaft being bent and unable to move.

I will find out what pinion is installed when I tear it down and all. The guy I purchased it from didn't seem to know much about RCs, he sent me a comely dead 3s Lipo. Luckily I had Its warranty since he saved his receipts and sent those with the sale.

Joe

RC Racer
    Plus... I still don't feel all comfortable with the telemetry kit. I know it can show temps and battery voltage/amps, but I have a temp gun for that and I really don't care for knowing the true speed. I just want to enjoy the rally! Not a speed demon searcher. If that were the case, I would have purchased a used nitro tech and converted to electric. Definitely can't afford an XO-1 and the issues it's had scares me away in the first place.

Joe

RC Qualifier
    I spy with my little eye a Jeep Rubicon! *Jeep wave* Hey fellow Jeeper! That's a wicked crash your son had there. Sorry to see that! We've all had that one person that can drive our RCs and break stuff. It's normal! Good luck putting it back together! Nice job kid, would have done the same if I was that little! Lol. - From a Jeep MW3 Edition #3223/3500 owner
    Last edited by TraxxasSummitCrawler; 02-20-2013 at 08:08 PM.
    SUMMIT |MERV * FIVE-T * REVO-E| T- MAXX-E

RC Racer
    Thanks man! Yeah I love the Rubi! Would love to have the MW3 edition! Such a sought after model, very expensive!

One guy at my work took his silver Wrangler and he had the body "coated" in that spray in bed liner stuff. He also has the snorkel installed. Pretty nice jeep, different, but nice!

Yes, the son was happy to help dad! If I had done it, I would have been far more upset, but there's no way I could have gotten upset at him for doing that. Maybe it's a good excuse to get some new, better, parts

Joe

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BASH N SLASH View Post
    Thanks man! Yeah I love the Rubi! Would love to have the MW3 edition! Such a sought after model, very expensive!

One guy at my work took his silver Wrangler and he had the body "coated" in that spray in bed liner stuff. He also has the snorkel installed. Pretty nice jeep, different, but nice!

Yes, the son was happy to help dad! If I had done it, I would have been far more upset, but there's no way I could have gotten upset at him for doing that. Maybe it's a good excuse to get some new, better, parts

Joe
    I never liked the bed liner Jeep exteriors even though its tough as nails! Love my MW3 so much. 50 grand was crazy for a Jeep but it was definitely worth every penny! Not like I'm ever going off roading though! Sorry for stealing your thread. Yeah, the crashes are always a good way to convince the wifey to let you get upgrades! I do it all the time! Lol! Nice looking Jeep man. Sorry for going off topic!
    Last edited by TraxxasSummitCrawler; 02-20-2013 at 08:41 PM.

RC Racer
    No worries bud... Happy to always talk jeep

I wanted to find a good jeep body for my previous Stampede 4x4. It's the perfect chassis and all! The summit would also be a great platform to do a jeep body.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BASH N SLASH View Post
    No worries bud... Happy to always talk jeep

I wanted to find a good jeep body for my previous Stampede 4x4. It's the perfect chassis and all! The summit would also be a great platform to do a jeep body.
    Yeah, I'm trying to find a Jeep body that would fit my Summit without too many mods.

RC Racer
    Ok,

Broke the rally down today. Not as bad as I initially thought, though, I haven't broken down the diffs yet. Simply because they still spin quite smoothly and I don't feel any rough catches or hear any obvious clicking noises.

The drive shaft is definitely bent. The chassis, broke. The servo.... Well nothing seems to be an issue, but I'll know once I get everything put back together. The front bulkhead is actually fine. It ripped away from the chassis, but didn't break. I did, however, lose a shock spring retaining cup on the bottom - whatever its called I may have one left from previous kits, so shouldn't be an issue replacing. I did manage to find out what pinion is installed. It's 19T. I think that's stock? The spur gear is stock, I forgot to check the tooth number on it, but based on this car's history, I'd say the guy kept it stock, except for adding the telemetry kit. Which brings me to the next question - how accurate is that telemetry? I wonder if the settings under the slash are what might cause the difference in the speed. The speedo read 48... I want to guess closer to 40, maybe 43. So it could be about 5 mph off. At any rate, hitting the curb at those speeds results in what happened to mine

Here's the videos of the wheels spinning freely.

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3b1ce65d.mp4

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/...pse180b4ca.mp4
    Last edited by BASH N SLASH; 02-23-2013 at 10:02 PM.

RC Qualifier
    13/54 is stock for the rally. The 19 pinion is the optional speed gear included with the truck but not installed. Have a look HERE for the rally specs. By the way, whats wrong with that driveshaft? It has character.

RC Racer
    Love the drive shaft... I will make a mini trophy for the son, so he can remember his first driving experience

I need to get a 13T pinion or does everyone recommend a different pinion for 2S lipo and stock esc and motor.

RC Qualifier
    As long as you're using 2s, you should be safe keeping the 19t. You should see about 40mph out of that. Lowering the pinion size will keep temps cooler but reduce your top speed a little too. You should always have a infrared temp gun on hand just to be safe. I wouldn't let your motor get hotter than 160 or so maximum.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, using Tapatalk 2.

RC Racer
    Yeah... I figure the 19 won't be too bad, though, I'd probably prefer like a 16 or 17. Seems like a happy medium, I'm not shooting for top speed runs, especially on stock electronics. If 19t on 2s is roughly 48, then I presume the telemetry is slightly off

There isn't a Rally option to pre load in the app, the closest is the slash. And that's not even the LCG slash. May need to manually create my settings.

Lastly, I do have an IR temp gun. You gotta have one with RCs to protect your electronics

RC Racer
    Ok, parts came in and I decided to put everything back together. Love the Traxxas design on these cars! Very simple to work on and navigate about the chassis

First thing I did was "color" the chassis a bit Blue Magic Marker anyone???

I was also able to modify the slash/pede battery hold down brace so that I could fit the other Nimhs which had a cell on top. From the photos, you can see that it works fine, and will hold down any of the batteries I will use with no issues

I do have one possible issue, and it deals with the center driveshaft. Does anyone have any "play" with their center driveshaft? See the close up photo - I have the shaft moved up to the front u Tim it stops and there appears to be half an inch of gap at the rear. Lastly, when I spin the wheels to move the shaft, their is a tiny "hint" of wobble. Wobble as in it is not a "perfectly" straight and smooth rotation. There is a very slight bend or movement of it.

This photo below shows the gap at the rear of the center driveshaft

I even replaced the stock stickers on the chassis to the new one - just to keep the serial and everything.

Any help would be appreciated
    Last edited by BASH N SLASH; 03-01-2013 at 09:12 PM.

RC Racer
    ... Had to delete ...
    Last edited by BASH N SLASH; 03-01-2013 at 09:26 PM.

Looks good man. Love the outline work on the chassis. I pm ya on something.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Racer
    Thanks, I was wishing the blue didn't darken like it did. Almost looks, well it does actually look purple! Guess that's what happens when you color blue over gray. At first, it laid down a nice blue, but dried to look purple. I'll probably leave it alone, as I'm sure the more I mess with it, the worse it gets.

On another note, could you check the slop, if you have any, on your driveshaft. I picked up my driveshaft at the local hobby store, they said the rally and slash's are the same. I probably should just check the part numbers, but I missed that little detail, and assumed they were right, since mostly everything else is interchangeable.. I don't recall there being that much slack, but then again, I didn't really look for it in the past.

Joe

RC Racer
    Never mind about the slack issue in the drive shaft... I did some research - apparently it's meant to have that slack to protect the driveline when the chassis is flexing under "driving" conditions. My center shaft easily moves up and down and I presume this is normal. The "slight" and I mean "slight" wobble may not be normal. I checked all the other parts while it was down, and didn't see anything bent or broken, but maybe the pinion shaft coming out the front diff may have a slight tweak to it that the naked eye can't see. I'll know once I give the car a drive. I left the telemetry kit installed, this way I can make a few runs and see if I match the same speeds. I really like the concept of the telemetry, especially live stats of temp, battery voltage, and the ability to make settings changes on the fly.

Yeah the driveshaft has some movement for chassis flex like you found. I've seen some people put o-rings on both ends to cut down on the clank. It would still allow for it to do its job.

On my Slash 4x4 build I used a Tekno bone driveshaft on it. It utilized cups at both ends with a couple of 0-rings for flexing. Really kewl design.

Check out my ► ► Desert Rat Slash 4x4 ◄ ◄ build sometime.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Racer
    I'll definitely have to check that out. Makes sense too, especially if you drive in harsh conditions with a lot of dust/dirt.

Thanks dude!

RC Racer
    Hey guys... Back to enjoying my rally I went ahead and installed a 15T pinion. Since I'm only running the Nimhs and a 2S lipo, I figured the 15T would be fine... A few notches above stock, but temps remain decent with few worries of over heating.

I did some video shots jumping the Rally off my ramp. I'll have the editing and final video done in a day or so. I'm still learning the ins and outs of iMovie.

Joe

RC Racer
    O.K. so here's a short video of me jumping the Rally in the backyard. I didn't put any music to it.... Yet

RC Racer
    ... Deleted
    Last edited by BASH N SLASH; 03-09-2013 at 01:16 PM.

RC Racer
    Here's the correct video. With music. Sorry for the double posts