RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar

A couple new cars in the driveway for the wife and I.

Ive been on a hunt for the past 2 years trying to find 2 vehicles that really fit the needs of my wife and I. Ive been through 6 vehicles in the past 2 years alone. But we've finally settled on 2 that are, for us, perfect.

First up is my wifes ride. 2010 Ford Flex LTD AWD with the 3.5L Ecoboost motor (365 horsepower).
    IMO, this is the ultimate family vehicle. I refuse to own a van but this thing seats 6, has all the toys and will outrun a Porsche Panamara in the quarter mile (its on youtube, look it up). At the moment, the only upgrades are a set of 22 inch wheels/tires but im going to take it over to MBRP this spring and have them put on a high flow dual exhaust. Ill pick up a high flow intake and when the warranty expires I think im going to throw on a programmer that adds up to 60 extra HP.

I had to search for the right deal on a vehicle for myself. Tried small cars, big cars, SUVs but in the end i had to accept that im a truck guy. However, im not an overcompensating EXCESSIVE truck guy. I just wanted something that was 4wd, big enough to do the small jobs I need to do and have enough room in the back seat to fit a car seat for my daughter. I managed to find this 2010 Dodge Dakota SXT 4door, 4X4 for a crazy deal and I even made money on the car i traded in on it. Its only got a V6 so its pretty slow but for what I need to do with it, its perfect. I put in a 3 inch lift, a set of 32's, a bull bar with some lights, a tonneau cover and touchscreen deck. Thats it. I think im going to put on a set of fender flares and possible a set of 1.25 inch wheel spacers this summer, but im not %100 yet. I am going to get a cold air intake and an MBRP exhaust in search of just a few more HP.

I think im going to keep these 2 until I pay them off. If Ford keeps selling them, im going to buy another Flex when im done with this one though. It is, by far, my favourite vehicle ive ever owned. Love or hate its looks (I love it personally), its is supremely comfortable, useful and SUPER fast. Also handles really well for a big boat.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...
    We were considering a Flex then bought a Hyundai Sonata. Flex looks nice in 2 tone
    Drive. Crash. Fix. Repeat.

Funny you say that. We looked at about 6 two tone models before we bought this one and both my wife and I didnt like the look of them at all. The only ones we liked were the white on white or black on black. We actually traded a white/white Flex SEL for the black one we have now.

Theres just something about pulling up beside a kid in a trick import car at a stop light and blowing his doors off when the light turns green. No one expects it.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

very nice Flex and Dakota pave.
    haha thats funny pave seen that many times but more seniors doing it though to younger people which i find more funny in a sense.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Qualifier
    A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...
    I know a guy with a maroon and white Flex. I like the Dakota too. It's epic. I do have to agree about the trick import cars. Hate when people put spoilers on an Eclipse and expect it to go fast.
    Drive. Crash. Fix. Repeat.

RC Champion
    Nice I'm really liking the Flex, not a big dodge guy myself.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    Nice additions! I think the Flex would be cool to haul kids, but my only kid has four legs and howls when I come home. (Lab/Husky maniac) A Ford Escape gets our errands and long trips done. I like it so much, I'd buy another one, except, I hate how they changed the styling of it! Like a mini Edge, now. I wish the suv's would drift towards off road styling instead of sports car styling. I'm sure the soccer moms like it better. The Flex is cool.! Sounds like it will be even cooler once you're done with your mods!

FLM BL E-MAXX ~ BL E-4TEC Drifter ~ Pro-Trac Slash ~ FLM P2de ~ SCX-10 ~ AX-10 ~ Wraith ~ HPI Custom Nitro dragster ~ 3 Losi micro scalers
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by MAXXXMASHER View Post
    Nice additions! I think the Flex would be cool to haul kids, but my only kid has four legs and howls when I come home. (Lab/Husky maniac) A Ford Escape gets our errands and long trips done. I like it so much, I'd buy another one, except, I hate how they changed the styling of it! Like a mini Edge, now. I wish the suv's would drift towards off road styling instead of sports car styling. I'm sure the soccer moms like it better. The Flex is cool.! Sounds like it will be even cooler once you're done with your mods!

FLM BL E-MAXX ~ BL E-4TEC Drifter ~ Pro-Trac Slash ~ FLM P2de ~ SCX-10 ~ AX-10 ~ Wraith ~ HPI Custom Nitro dragster ~ 3 Losi micro scalers
    We got an Escape, don't you think the seats in the thing are really stiff unless you have leather which im guessing would be much better. WE have the base model escape.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC Champion
    Pav nice dodge! It looks maaaad! I've never likes the flexs but I guess with that power I might start liking them a little more. I just don't like the boxyness.

Check our MightyCarMods. That's where the maaaad comes from.
    Slash 4x4 built from Proline RPM STRC TRX and MIP

RC Champion
    Saw the Ontario plates and was going to say, "Hey I'll keep my eyes open for that truck!" but then the Minden number on the building suggests I'll probably never see that truck hahaha.

Nice new rides though, those darned Ford motors are putting out so much power for such small things!

Nice vehicules
    Fords come a long ways over the years
    My dad used to be a Chevy guy
    Then he bought a new ford f-250 super duty 2 years ago
    It was like 10k cheaper then the chevy too!

Can we see pictures of the interior?
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    Yeah ford has been doing a good job lately. They have been making good powerful motors and good looking cars.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    that ecoboost prob also gets 30 mpg. That is one great powerplant.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Don't believe the mileage claims. Too many reports claiming shenanigans, then again all the makers are playing a MPG shell game.

Back OT: Best of luck with the jalopies.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 04-01-2013 at 12:23 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Don't believe the mileage claims. Too many reports claiming shenanigans, then again all the makers are playing a MPG shell game.

Back OT: Best of luck with the jalopies.
    It's true that if a car says it will get a certain gas mileage that doesn't mean it will. It all depends on how you drive and your drivin habits. I know my car doesn't get it's best gas mileage but that's just because I don't drive it smooth and affectionally. And you have to put the right kinda gas in it. My car has better proformance on lower octan but gets better gas mileage on higher octan. You just got to know your car.

I can categorically say the Ecoboost does not get the claimed mileage with me behind the wheel. hehe... that kind of power needs to be USED, not scavenged.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    I can categorically say the Ecoboost does not get the claimed mileage with me behind the wheel. hehe... that kind of power needs to be USED, not scavenged.
    That's what I'm saying. You got the power why not use it?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I don't have any problem getting the stated mileage numbers out of the any car or truck my wife and I own or have owned in recent years, however I cannot seem to get the factory stated mileage out of my current snowmobiles. Part of the problem there is my right thumb won't stay off the fun flipper and the other problem is trying to keep Pav in sight.

Nice vehicles Pav!!!!
    Last edited by Jakey; 04-02-2013 at 07:48 AM.

Ill race your GXP with the Flex next time im down your way. That'd be fun.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Ill race your GXP with the Flex next time im down your way. That'd be fun.
    Oh yeah!!!

RC Champion
    Until you see flashing lights behind you....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Closed course on private property

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Meh I've been on the f150 forum for a
    While. Those guys are lucky to see 19 mpg if they drive super conservatively.

All those claims are a joke IMO..., its always best case scenario at slow speeds, downhill with a tail wind kind of stuff. I dont believe them at all. I also think the idea that using a smaller displacement turbo charged engine to get the same horsepower as a larger displacement non turbo engine will be more efficient is silly. Any racer or motor builder who knows anything will tell you, horsepower requires fuel... more horsepower, more fuel. Its not rocket science (or maybe it is). Its just simply physics. You can turbo smaller holes, but youll usually need more RPM and more fuel so it ends up being the same.

I never buy cars for mileage. I buy them for function and fun. A car is something that has to grab my attention and peak my interest. Id never drive a slow or boring car just to save on gas. Whats the fun in that?
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

I know my car right now gets 30-32 mpg but its stated to only get 27 mpg hwy at most. city is horrible to like 21 mpg dont always take off slow kinda punchy sometimes. We got the malibu with the v6 in it before they stopped making it in them instead of the 4 cyc. which is suppose to get the same mileage i am getting which seems crazy for less horsepower and smaller engine so we took this huge different from going with a 5.3L lol. usually dont drive too fast dont want tickets unless i drive through NV at 85-90mph and am safe then maybe even go to the century mark.

alot of stated MPG's are not right either you get less or get more sometimes i have found out from people and myself owning 5 cars in 9 years well trucks, suv, van, car. tried it all except sports really non get good really.

Pave you picked the right truck and suv.
    DEU 8:18 ESV