RC Qualifier

BEC install Help

I just bought a castle creations BEC to install on my Summit. One of my servos went out in my dual setup so I bought a Savox 1230SG to run a single setup. I want to install the BEC power leads to one of the battery connectors that come from the ESC. Does it matter which one you install it to? Or does it have to be the one that powers the BEC on the stock esc? If so how do you tell which connector it is?

thanks

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I am not sure if it matters, but to tell which side plug a battery in and attempt to turn on the ESC. If it flickers on and then back off, that is the BEC side.

These drawings work if you ignore the second receiver.

Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Sactown_Summit View Post
    Does it matter which one you install it to? Or does it have to be the one that powers the BEC on the stock esc? If so how do you tell which connector it is?

thanks
    In my experience yes, it matters. I had mine wired to the non BEC side in efforts to even out battery usage and fried my esc.

Moved my wires from the non BEC side to the BEC side and presto it's been working ever since. The only thing I changed was what size power was coming from.

So to sum it up wire it to your BEC side. As Jimmie said your lights and stuff should flicker when you have that side plugged in. Mine had a red tag on it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

I remember that now... must be getting old.

I believe it's how it's wired in series internally,that causes the issue i cooked a esc a while ago thought it was something i did.It was I guess,non bec side instant fried ground wire(black)
    I now believe it needs to be on the bec side on the evx 2.after hearing this few times now I'm convinced.

Sent using lipo power
    Last edited by jamann; 02-18-2013 at 11:44 PM.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    thanks for the diagrams and all the information. I think I am understanding better how this works.

So I am ready to finish this install. So the way you describe it.......... I have a battery that when I am done running the truck and go to unplug the batteries to turn it off...when I unplug one battery the motor stops but the servos and lights still are on until I unplug the last battery. This LAST battery then would be my BEC battery right? the one that is still plugged in and the lights and servos still work.

Just want to make sure as I don't want to fry my esc. Can't afford another one right now.

Thanks again for all the help!

Test BEC side BEFORE you run...

Plug just one battery in... does the ESC flicker on?
    If yes, that is the BEC side.
    If no, that is not the BEC side.

The ESC will not stay on with just one battery attached.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    Test BEC side BEFORE you run...

Plug just one battery in... does the ESC flicker on?
    If yes, that is the BEC side.
    If no, that is not the BEC side.

The ESC will not stay on with just one battery attached.
    Just tried it. I get no flickering of the ESC or the lights when I plug in either battery.

LIke I said I just have the scenario that when I am done running the truck after having both batteries plugged in, on battery after the other is disconneted still powers the lights and servos until I unplug it.

Any other suggestions on how to tell what side is BEC

Does the esc have the tag on the wires still.that is usually the bec side

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    no. I took it off when I got the truck. Wish I would have left it on now.

Maybe I will try the truck without the BEC and see how it works. The servo seems to work great without it. Throws the wheels back and forth like its a stadium truck. and that is with me laying full compression down on the front wheels too. I seem to get a oh so slight dimming of the lights when I turn the wheels...not sure if it did that before didn't really pay attention. Not sure if that means it needs a BEC or now?

Wish I know more about electronics then i do lol

RC Qualifier
    lol I just remembered I took a picture of the inside of the truck as I pulled it out of the box. it still shows the tag on the esc your talking about. The tag is on the side when when I leave that battery pluged in it powers just the servos and lights.

Now I am glad i took those photos after all! Thanks for remindinf me about the tag. Now to finish the BEC

By the way....are BEC's waterproof? Or will I need to account for it now when running in the snow?
    Last edited by Sactown_Summit; 02-19-2013 at 12:11 AM.

I wrapped mine in plastic wrap.Saran wrap but any sandwich wrap should do
    For splashing.A zip tie on either end keeps it in place
    That was before the outerwears chassis cover.something to look at. makes cleaning much easier.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for all the help everyone and the information. Just finished hooking everything up. Servo is whipping the tires around like its nothing. Everything appears to work well. Lights are as bright as ever. Just need to place a little suran wrap around the BEC and I think Im ready to get back on the rocks.

Not sure Im going to know what to do with 500 oz or torque at the wheels. Cant wait to see how it drives.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    I believe it's how it's wired in series internally,that causes the issue i cooked a esc a while ago thought it was something i did.It was I guess,non bec side instant fried ground wire(black)
    I now believe it needs to be on the bec side on the evx 2.after hearing this few times now I'm convinced.

Sent using lipo power
    I agree, my ground wire smoked almost instantly. I try to watch for this question so I can prevent someone from doing the same thing.

Not sure Im going to know what to do with 500 oz or torque at the wheels. Cant wait to see how it drives.
    You'll love it.

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

RC Qualifier
    Loving it already. I could actually turn a circle in my small living room without having to do a 3 point turn! Never been able to do that before.

RC Competitor
    Does it matter which one you install it to? Or does it have to be the one that powers the BEC on the stock esc?
    Yes, it matters. You have to share the same ground if you want to use both BECs.
    Summit, dewalt 12v, 18/68 gear, T-bone skids