Thread: Gear ratios

RC Racer

Gear ratios

I want to change my gear ratios to get more off the line jam, without effecting too much top speed if possible. What ratios are you guys running? Did you change the transmission gearing

RC poster
    There are only a finite number of ways to effect overall gearing, tire size, spur gear, clutch bell, and tranny 2nd gear.

If you want to have the same overall top speed, assuming you have the standard ratio gears in the tranny, you could use the wide ratio 2nd gear in the tranny, and use a 40 tooth spur. That will make it a little quicker, and keep the top speed the same.

Stock spur is a 38, so going to a 40 won't make that much difference. I recommend going to a 14 clutch bell, keep the 38 spur and leave the tranny alone. You will have a small reduction in top speed but the car will be noticably quicker.

Better yet, adding power will get you what you want. Why don't you list what you have on your truck if it's not totally stock. Also list how much fuel has been through your motor, I just replaced my worn 3.3 with a new 3.3 and the truck is a ton faster.

RC Qualifier
    I got Proline Mashers for my Revo and it really killed the off the line snap. I went with a 40t spur 14t clutch bell a HD Aluminum Slipper and a aluminum 3 pc clutch. (Buku adjustable clutch on the wish list). Last i added the THS1406 pipe. It added the snap back i was looking for and then some without to much top speed sacrifice.

*after thought* My tranny is still stock w/reverse and optidrive
    Last edited by NvDesertRat96; 02-20-2013 at 05:06 PM. Reason: after thought
    " You just got passed by a Traxxas"

RC Racer
    I've upgraded the slipper Clutch, the clutch shoes, eliminated the opti drive, put summit bumpers with led lights on the front and rear. And think I have it tune properly. I installed the dynamite platinum max life clutch shoes. I have gone through a full jug of fuel so far.
    Last edited by Mcisaacracing; 02-20-2013 at 07:17 PM.

RC Racer
    I just want it geard low... 25mph top speed is all i care about for top end.

Then 14T bell, 40T spur and close gearing in the tranny.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    I've upgraded to a 40t spur gear, and I keep reading that everyone changes to a 14t bell. But after looking over my parts manual it says that the revo comes with a 14t bell. Am I reading it wrong? I didn't count the teeth yet.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcisaacracing View Post
    I've upgraded to a 40t spur gear, and I keep reading that everyone changes to a 14t bell. But after looking over my parts manual it says that the revo comes with a 14t bell. Am I reading it wrong? I didn't count the teeth yet.
    The newer style Revos came with 14t bells to acomodate the larger tires. My older Revo came with a 15t bell.
    One shot.....One kill, no exceptions

RC Racer
    Put the 40t spur on. Noticed a difference, but now when I raced my sons tmaxx today that little bugger beat me. Off the line and on the top end. It was only a 100ft race. I NEED MORE OFF THE LINE POWER. Help me please. Not too worried about top end speed as much as I will never really be running long distances.

RC Champion
    tmaxx is tough to beat off the line.. its the nature of the truck's suspension.. have to much off teh line speed can cause you to spin the tires and not really jump off the line... again if you have the newer revo the bigger tires could be an issue with your acceleration... i bet if you swap tires around you will beat him off the line...
    you know.. i never had a sig.. but i do now...

Yep, smaller tires, better clutch, better carb, better pipe, modified engine, bigger engine.... How much do you want to spend?
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    I'll spend whatever I can to beat his truck. But I don't want to change engines.

RC Champion
    smaller tires ... for sure... and get a better clutch.. i like this clutch the best..

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Clutch-Silver

if your car has reverse take it out and put forward only.... if your truck has standard gear ratio and you get him off the line but he gets you down the straight... just go back to your original gearing
    you know.. i never had a sig.. but i do now...

RC Qualifier
    A few other things you can do for more off the line snap is Getting the THS1046 pipe, putting thicker fluid in the diffs, thicker fluid in the shocks and stiffer springs. STeel CVD's, Steel Drive Line.

The THS pipe will actually give a power increase on the low to mid range.

The thicker diff fluid will act like a spool to a certain extent. Slow the time down it take for the diffs to unload giving the Revo a more 4x4 take off in actual 4 wheel drive. Not unload and only drive the 1 wheel thats getting the best grip.

Changing shock fluid and spring rate will keep the Revo from squatting on take off. It will also keep the wheels planted harder and give better forward bite with increased pressure from the shocks and springs.

The steel drive lines and CVD's will help by eliminating rotating mass of the thick round plastic drive and axles. Also the steel wont twist or give like the plastic ones do. Not wasting energy on spinning bulky drive train parts will translate in to usable forwoard take off toque.

I use the 14t Cb and a 40t spur with above said parts and my Revo is pretty beast. I have seen a 13t cb before just didn't have $15 to get it at the time. But ill come across it again and snag it up to tray 13t cb. My trans is stock Standard ratio w/ rev. For a heavy Revo basher it launches pretty good. Going to a meet up tomorrow and got a 8gb SD card for my camera so im gonna try to get some video and pics.
    " You just got passed by a Traxxas"