RC poster

New Jato Owner - Having signal loss problem

Hey Guys,

I'm brand new to the Nitro world and also new to the world of technical forums. I purchased a brand new Jato 3.3 this weekend at the suggestion of some buddies who are really into this hobby. Did the break-in as suggested by Traxxas and followed all other Traxxas guidelines for a new vehicle.

Here's my problem - got through the initial 5 tanks for break-in and then a few more tanks of driving. Suddenly, I started having problems with loss of signal. No steering, no throttle, notta. Took the car in, replaced batteries, re-fueled, went back outside and ran for a few minutes, then once again... kaput. Notta. Turned everything on and off, tried again and the same problem. Seems to be totally intermittent and inconsistent. I'm running these things with a buddy who has been doing it for about 10 years and he's never seen the problem. Left me as a newbie and him as an experienced user totally dumb-founded. Of course, we suspect a faulty reciever, but has anyone else had this problem?

This is a completely stock vehicle with no upgrades.

Thanks for your help. Please let me know if there are any rules that I need to follow on this forum or if there are any issues with the way I've posted. Again, I'm a total newbie.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    What radio do you have?

RC Competitor
    Are you using double aas or packs? And are you using the mid position or rear position for reciever pack?
    Jato 3.3,Slayer pro

RC poster
    Thanks for the fast reply guys. It's the 2.4 ghz radio w/ 5 ch receiver and I'm using the rear position for reciever. Also, using AA's. Checked voltage on the first set of batteries which we suspected were dead and they were nowhere near. Swapped out with brand new ones anyway and had the same issue. Movement didn't slow down as you'd expect with typical dead batteries, just completely stopped. Then it'd work again, then it'd suddenly stop, then work, then stop, etc. Weird.

RC Competitor
    Np did u check all your wiring espically the main that goes from battery pack to reciever it crosses the engine mine melted a hole in the wiring which was problem matic check that all the plugs in reciever are tight too
    Jato 3.3,Slayer pro

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Any chance the receiver got wet, a quick look might be good, also look if the rx is flashing when you loose range.

RC poster
    Hmmm, might have to inspect those wires a little closer. Oh, I should also mention this is happening when the vehicle is right next to me. It's not an issue of distance.
    RC-Fan, I don't think any moisture got in there.

RC poster
    Faulty r/x replace it

RC poster
    So, you're definitely thinking receiver and no chance of the radio itself, eh? Traxxas wants me to send both back to determine what it is since they're saying it could be either or. Problem is that I'm without my vehicle for three weeks and I just paid a good penny for this thing. And I have to pay to ship it to them. I was thinking if you're pretty confident it's the receiver that I would just spend the 30 bucks to get a new one... what do you think?

RC poster
    If your local hobby shop sell those I'm sure they will swap it just to check if that's the problem if not borrow your buddy R/x y'all swap just to see if his truck act the same way

Are there like cellphone towers fire stations places that use high frequencies it could be a interference there to
    Last edited by cooleocool; 02-18-2013 at 06:05 PM. Reason: post merge

RC poster
    They've been running r/c in this neighborhood for about 10 years and never had a problem. Stumped! Just hate the idea of sending the thing out and having to pay to do it. Haha

RC poster
    Try swapping with a buddy first before you send it off at least

We're u located
    Last edited by cooleocool; 02-18-2013 at 06:07 PM. Reason: post merge

RC poster
    Northern Illinois.

RC poster
    I have exactly the same problem, I recently change the clutch on it and clean it really good, test it today and after 30' away was not responding, can I buy just the receiver or do I have to buy receiver and the remote also?
    Thanks