RC poster

Stampede glitching and possible battery fail.

I hope i am posting in the right area, and not disturbing anyone if i am not. I am new to the updated rc world. Last time i owned an rc was when the clodbuster 4x4 was popular. I need som serious help. I purchased the Stampede brushless 4x4 vxl wp about 3wks ago, it is one amazing truck I love it. It has only been out in the snow 5 times and has been driven in the shop where i work about 7 times. Today 18-2-2013 while driving my truck started glitching at minimum throttle then launching like it was scared of itś own shadow then it would glitch again. I got to the point that it wouldn´t drive anymore just shake like it had parkinsons disease. After that i hears a sizzling sound comming from the battery. The motor as well as the battery was hot. I am runnig all stock parts and the battery during the shake down it was giving me is a NIMH 5000mah 7C hump 8.4v traxxas 5 series power cell. After I waited for the it to cool down I put in my other battery 6C 7.4v 3000mah traxxas power cell and it did the same thing can anyone tell me what happened and how to fix it? and did it fry my battery or did my battery damager the esc? Please Help
    Last edited by Legaia; 02-18-2013 at 11:34 AM. Reason: made a mistake in the text. The motor was just hot not making a sizzling sound

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If your tried two batts, and still does the same the esc might be damaged, did you ever check the temps before, was it overheated, do you have any blinking led on the esc, any way that you can test the electronics individually, is the receiver blinking ?

RC poster
    The truck hasen`t been used for about 4 days. When i started everything was cold, it was only when it started glitching is when i noticed it was hot. After that I waited 45min till the motor was cold and put the other battery in and it did the same thing. The lights on the reciever were as normal red (the esc light was normal as well, red when sitting still, off when driving at low speed and then red at full throttle) if i remember correctly, but no blinking at all.

RC Qualifier
    Call the traxxas support line. They will talk you through figuring it out/ send warranty parts if needed. Cool dudes too.

RC poster
    Ok will do, need to check if they are here in Norway as well...well doesn`t matter actually, they can still help me reguardless of what country I live in. Thanks for the help, and to anyone else who may know something please post all information is important to me.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Legaia View Post
    Ok will do, need to check if they are here in Norway as well...well doesn`t matter actually, they can still help me reguardless of what country I live in. Thanks for the help, and to anyone else who may know something please post all information is important to me.
    They're in Texas, but they'll help you - they're great. The only downside is it's going to cost you shipping to send it in and you're a long way away.

RC Qualifier
    you probally fried the esc.i went threw 10 of them in 10 months in my rustler before i went to castle and no probs ever since now i'm working on my friends stampede 4x4 that did the same exact thing but after his 5th he just put it on a shelf and was done with it til i talked him into letting me fix it for him.and not all of ours were because they got hott either.some were replacing them right out of the box plug in a battery and poof smoke rolled out of it.amd no it wasnt the battery since we used different ones when we'd put in the new new esc and did same thing

RC poster
    Wow already, that really sucks being that it had never touched asfalt except for dry spots where ther wasn`t any snow so as for stress on the unit there wasn`t any realy. Other than that it is....was zipping around the shop indoors. I contacted Traxxas by e-mail and told them everything last night Norwegian time so i guess it will take some time before they answer. When they answer i`ll post what they said here just in case another newbe finds this thred and had the same happen to them. Thanks again you guys are quick to respond ( Skål ) Cheers in Norwegian

Welcome to the forum dude sorry to hear about your bad luck traxxas will sort something out for you and you will be back up and running if there is anything else we can help you with just ask.....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC poster
    Thanks spenniepoos and everyone else who responded. As mentioned here is the information i recieved from Traxxas just in case anyone els who is new to this comes across the sams problem in Norway or ony place else At 12:56 PM 2/18/2013, you wrote:
    To Traxxas support

I purchased the Traxxas stampede about 3 weeks ago, it was driven outside in the snow about 4 times and in the shop about 5. it hasn`t been through any bashing, just driving and speed runs. Today 18-2-2013 my stampede started to glitch at low speeds, as if it was missing the signal to the reciever. After about 2min it wouldn`t move forward anymore. When I turned it off the batter was making a sizzling sound and the motor as well as the battery was hot. I removed the battery let the moter cool down for about 45min and tried my other battery and the problem continued, except the only diffirence was i could drive it a little longer at full speed before it started to glitch again. The battery used for the first run was a Traxxas 7C hump 5000mah powercell and the other one was a 6C 3000mah powercell. All parts are stock and nothing was changed on the vehicle. Did my battery damage the esc or did the esc fail? oh and did i damage the 5000mah battery by charging it with the 1500-3000mah battery charger that came with the truck? The salesman said to use it, but as i read on the forum a low volt charged cannot charge a high power battery. So i am believing the battery was damaged when i charged it to its full compacity ( 5000mah ) when i purchased the V6AC Synchronous Balancce Charger/Discharger. Am I correct? and should I throw it away or was the sizzling sound comming from it overheating because of the signal problem? I realy hope you can help I love this truck. And can i use a 11.4v lipo 6800mah battery in it? Oh the truck I am using is the Stampede 4x4 VXL Brushless Water Proff 2011 truck of the year edition, I bought it here in Norway.

Bryant Borders iPad

Hello Bryant

You can charger a higher voltage battery with the stock charger, it just takes a long time.

First try putting fresh batteries in the radio and in your vehicle. Make sure the antenna on your receiver is not cut short, and that it is all the way out to the end of the antenna tube. Make sure the antenna on the radio is up and that it is not damaged. Check the plugs in your receiver to make sure they are secure, that the steering is plugged into channel 1, the ESC is plugged into channel 2 and that none of the wires are pinched frayed or kinked.

Make sure you are in the correct LiPo or non LiPo mode. Low voltage detection mode should only be used with LiPo batteries. You can refer to your Owners Manual for instructions on this. Here are the instructions for the VXL-3s. http://www.traxxas.com/pdfs/3355X_3350X_manual.pdf

Reset your transmitter to its default settings. http://traxxas.com/node/17319

Next program the speed control. http://www.traxxas.com/node/17118

If it is still not working program the transmitter. http://www.traxxas.com/node/17317

All the programming videos are on this page. http://www.traxxas.com/video/support

Finally unplug the steering servo from the receiver and see if the ESC programs normally. A shorted servo can cause the system to fail.

If that does not fix the issue Traxxas handles international warranty issues through our international importers. Please contact the local hobby shop where you purchased the vehicle and see if they can help. If they cannot, ask them to contact their authorized Traxxas importer where they purchase their Traxxas products. You may need to send the part to them for evaluation.

Best regards,
    Steve Lindholm
    Traxxas Customer Service

Please include all previous e-mails in your response to prevent delays in receiving support.

If you need further assistance, please contact our Customer Service department Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 9:00pm Central Time at one of the following numbers:

US Customers 1-888-TRAXXAS (Toll Free)
    Outside of US 001-972-265-8000