RC poster

Newbie, sort off

Ok, I bought my erevo brushless about three years ago and ran it for a few months until I broke the upper
    And lower right side control arms. I also lost my job around the same time and just removed the battery's and stored it. I was kind of scared that it would be the first thing sold when i was in a bind if i fixed it. Over the weekend I finally pulled it out and replaced the arms. I put my venom power Li-power 4000mah 20c 11.1v batterys on a slow 1amp charge and took it out for a spin. Everything worked fine and I'm not worried about anything. However, can anyone recommend what I should look over? One of the batterys got a very little swollen and it didn't seam like they lasted as long as they did before. They lasted at leat 30 min running through mid tall grass at high speed so I'm still happy with them but one was just a little bit swollen. Should I be concerned? Neither of them was more than warm to the touch. I've been completely out of the RC world for three year and I wasn't exactly an expert then. I've had a Russler, Russler Vxl and a little losi truck before the Erevo. What batteries are popular these days? liFE was just getting going when I quit, have they taken over ? I was looking at batteries and noticed none come with traxxas connectors (other than traxxas brand) anymore. Do we just buy adaptors now or just solder new ones on?
    P.S. are there any good “must read" info pages out there for erevo owners? Thanks for any input you have

RC Qualifier
    Welcome back! Shouldn't worry about the batteries as of now, but if they puff up or lose voltage fast it is disposal time. Check the torque of the nuts and screws, oil in the shocks, oil in the diffs, grease on the ring gears, smooth bearing operation... Spc lipos are good, others are unmentionable due to copyright infringement. Lipo is still king, and will be for at least the life of the pack. You should solder on the connector of your choice directly to the battery and esc, more resistance is more heat and less power put to the ground. Make sure your slipper clutch is set right, watch your temps, and keep an eye on the esc fan. It kicks on when the esc turns on, then back off, and back on at 150°. 87 Gn has good "beginner" info, but just browsing the forums you will learn a lot. Gl2u, and hope to see you on the forums soon.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I would use caution with that battery. When charging keep a close eye on it and after running it. Store it in a lipo charging bag if you have one. If not somewhere it cant do any damage.
    20c is a little on the weak side
    Here is some good info
    http://robotwars.00server.com/erevofaq.html
    Here's a link for spc. Great batteries for a good price http://spcracing.com/index.php?categ...3&show_all=yes
    Last edited by 50togo; 02-18-2013 at 01:33 AM.

RC poster
    Stripped a primary gear, I guess the lash wasn't tight enough. Also, my passenger side front wheel stopped spinning for a few seconds, then I tried turning it by hand and it poped back into sync with the other front wheel. Does thr sound like a front diff gear? Is there a lash setting or something? Or do I just need to replace the pinion/gear or maybe it's replaced as a unit?

RC Qualifier
    watch out for those venom batteries.i had bought 2 at the same time and one puffed after the first run so i took it back and they gave me a knew one then the other 1 puffed after 3 runs took it back and they replaced that 2 made a few runs with the new ones then sold them off.i wont ever buy venom batteries again.IMO SPC is the only way to go and they can come with traxxas ends on them already too if you order them that way at no extra fee

after 3 yrs & not checking to see if the batts need charged back up to storage volts(3.85v ish per cell).
    Also they are a bit under rated at 80 amps.
    Time for new batts....

Diff sound like it needs rebuild or at least taken apart & shimmed

PM is out..........
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC poster
    I never left the batteries for more than six months without checking them

That is good, I check or go for a run at least one a week........to keep them cycled..
    a few MORE cycles when the weather warms up.....

RC poster
    Shredded a tire today. No dry rot or anything. Does age affect tires like this or am I just too hard on it? Also, I love the stock tires,but is there something better coming on the newer models or anything? I'm not looking to upgrade wheels and lug nuts or anything, I'm not racing or anything.thanks

Stock tyres shred easily on brushless power too. Badlands are a great tyre if you are not using your truck on the road.

Taping tyres:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5295712

Balancing wheels:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5298001

Badlands on Geodes
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5320655

Badlands on Desperados
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5337077
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    The stockers are known for blowing out
    6S OR NOTHING............................ maybe 5s

I would tape which ever tires you choose, specially if you are going to keep running 2/3s...

RC poster
    I was thinking about taping the tires but the one of the links showed the tape on the outside. Wouldn't this defeat the purpos of tires? If the tread isn't going to grip the surface, why not run hard plastic? Anyhow, figured out what was going on with the front diff. The front tires stopped driving and I found the front center drive shaft snapped. I just finished replacing those parts and plan on running tomorrow. The guy at the hobby shot recommended aluminum shafts but I went with stock for now. I was a R&D mech for a major manufacturer for many years and I know I'd just be moving the weak link up the chain to a more expensive part. If I went to the metal shafts, what would be the next thing in line to break? Transmission? Thnks

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You sure it wasnt a pic of the tires inside out while they were putting the tape on?
    Steel shafts for the center is a good setup and if running rpm arms.Summit.axles are better

RC poster
    Your absolutely right, I was quickly looking over replays between 2 1/2 hour runs on our production lines and didn't take the time to look it over on a bigger screen. However, my mistake may have given me a good ideas for the tires that are already mounted. Has anyone every tried wrapping Small string around the outsides, between the tread? (on tires that have treads that allow it) Looking at my stock tires, I see two channels about 3/8" to each side of the center line that I could get something all the way around the tire without changing the surface that contacts the road.

RC poster
    Crap. I've need through lots of parts in the last week. I've now replaced two drive shafts, both rear tires and may have to replace one 17mm hex and the nut. Also, do the shock springs “relax" over time if there sitting? I stored it with the suspension extended but it seams like the suspension is kind of soft now. I ca push down on it and it doesnt fully rebound. It kind of floats.

I have tried fly fishing string, have seen Large O'Rings too..

Quote Originally Posted by Erevojoe View Post
    Crap. I've need through lots of parts in the last week. I've now replaced two drive shafts, both rear tires and may have to replace one 17mm hex and the nut. Also, do the shock springs “relax" over time if there sitting? I stored it with the suspension extended but it seams like the suspension is kind of soft now. I ca push down on it and it doesnt fully rebound. It kind of floats.
    I use WD40 on my hollow balls in the rod ends when I clean my truck...it helps the suspension popping back up.
    Rock n Rolla !