RC poster

Best material for making a drag strip?

Hey guys, i have a Robert Hight funny car and I love it. Im in Sheboygan Falls, WI. Right now we are in winter and a new hobby store opened up in New Holstein that runs indoor dirt off road tracks for slashes and stuff. Hes a traxxas dealer too. Anyways I talked to him and he is very interested in trying to build a drag strip outdoors come spring. With the drag racing crowd we have in WI i believe this could be huge for him because there arent any RC drag strips in WI and the common complaint i hear from people is that the cars are cool but there is no where to run them. So I was wondering does anyone run at a RC drag strip? What material is the strip made of? Length of the strip? Concrete? Blacktop? or what seems to be the best material to use? I ran my car at the local High School running track. They use a material on that track and that car hooked and ran straighter then i ever ran before. I know that a 1/4 mile in quarter scale is 330ft so is 1/8 scale 165ft? or do i have that wrong? so i would love to hear any input or pictures of hobby store RC strips!! thanks guys

RC poster
    i forgot to say the material on the high school track is some type of rubber compound, if anyone knows what its called let me know

RC Enthusiast
    Typically, concrete is best with prep material added prior to race, coke syrup, VHT, etc. Just make sure there are no expansion joints or rough broom texture.

You might want to reference the rule book at IMDRA.COM it has some discussion about track materials and prep.

RC poster
    Thanks D'reng

RC Champion
    welcome to the forum. i dont own a drag car. just anything with chevelle and im like beavis on capouchino.

and im like 4 hours west of you. no drag tracks here so im no help. but black top works. maybe a hot day with warm almost sticky black top.
    Last edited by ajcar; 02-24-2013 at 09:17 AM.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC poster
    lol nice meeting you.....never even heard of Muscoda lol but yeah i talked to the owner of the hobby store and i think hes going blacktop more economical he said.....ive done blacktop with mine it works great

RC Racer
    I think the link that rc track is 330 and grape syrup is the best because all the sugar for the traction, every rc track I seen is concreate or black top I run nitro cars to on just blacktop not racing tho
    Last edited by razorback fan; 03-01-2013 at 07:21 PM.

RC Qualifier
    What ever that stuff is they use on real drag strips? Grip enhancer?
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

RC Champion
    I think most tracks are 132' long. 1/10 scale anyway. prepped concrete works the best.
    E-revo mmm/2200
    100+mph tc4 neu powered

RC Racer
    That's too expensive for rc stuff

RC Enthusiast
    For a cheap traction compound..............buy some koford Slotcar traction glue........ dilute with Coleman fuel ....... you can get from walmart in the camping section will make a nice sticky mix you can lay down in a spray bottle. you have to play with the Mix Ratio

RC Racer
    i used very cheap oranage soda for rc purppose

RC Enthusiast
    The stuff you are looking for for a track surface is the stuff used for rubber paving - you can google "rubber paving" it is used tires ground up - very cheap compared to concrete or asphalt and you can put it over anything.

This might be a good bet for you guys.

RC poster
    Thanks angus m ill check that out!

RC poster
    Thanks angus m!