RC Qualifier

Velinion Durability? Expected Life?

So I use my velinion very often, and I like to use it in the water. How long can I expect the combo to last? I got this Slash 4x4 around end of november, and I've been running it almost daily. I'm running 2S Lipos (I have 2 but use 1 at a time), and I want to know how long I can expect this combo to last? What are some precautions I can take for maximum life?

Make sure the motor bearings never get rusty or gritty, and make sure you never over heat the motor either. Just what I know.
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 02-16-2013 at 09:14 PM.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Make sure the motor bearings never get rusty or gritty, and make sure you never over the motor either. Just what I know.
    What do you mean "never over the motor"?

RC Qualifier
    most likely overheat, but even if it did break down you can get a rebuild kit for 12-15$

What do you mean "never over the motor"?
    D"oh! That's a brain fart. I meant to say "never over HEAT"
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Qualifier
    Ok thanks guys! What about for the ESC? I'm going to replace the motor with this one:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m214-3674-2800kv-6t.html

in the summer so the motor won't be too much of a problem. I might also replace the ESC so that my VXL doesn't overheat and thermal as this is a huge motor and draws a lot of amps.

RC Qualifier
    I would look at some reviews before you set your mind on something that cheap, usually when products like that are cheap there's a reason, castle has some good combos that can stay cool and their not too expensive either

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by XRated View Post
    I would look at some reviews before you set your mind on something that cheap, usually when products like that are cheap there's a reason, castle has some good combos that can stay cool and their not too expensive either
    I know it's cheap, but I could buy 2 by the time I get one new Velinion. IMO it's a great motor and for $30 I think it's the cheapest yet most substantial upgrade you can get. I read the reviews, and everyone gave it 5*. I think even if I can get 50 runs out of that motor, I'll be happy because it's less than $1 a run.

RC Champion
    I ran a couple of our velineons for 2 years in rain, mud, etc while beating them like gingers. They can take a beating.
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Qualifier
    like I said earlier velineon has a rebuild kit for 12-15$, I've been running my velineon system for about month and a half now and I run it nearly every day at least 2-3packs and it's been 3-4ft under water in my pool from and accident twice for about 5-10sec and it came out running like nothing ever happened and still good today

RC Champion
    Dont buy tickets for the cheap seats.
    For starters that motor had a significantly lower kV rating that the vxl is made for. To get the same speeds you have to gear up. Gearing up puts more load on the ESC.

Given the choice for what is proposed I would stick with the vxl system. If you run it wet alot then dry it out and keep check on the bearings that will rust.

With very few exceptions when it comes to RC parts and options you get what you pay for. Cheap cost= cheap contruction and poor durability. I understand that everyone wants the most bang for the buck, I do too. I also understand that some are working with limited funding, I am not. If you really want to upgrade start putting cash back. If you are young and need funds find a way to raise them. My 11YO son was whining about he needed extra cash to buy some stuff he wanted. Well after the last smow storm I handed him a snow shovel and sent him packing down the block. $20 a pop to shovel out the driveways and front entry and 3 hours later he came back with $200. I grew up in the south so I was one lawnmower pushing, rake toting kid when I wanted cash for my stuff. So long as you dont try to gouge most people are more than willing to cough up a little cash for a kid trying to EARN it.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by vladsly View Post
    Ok thanks guys! What about for the ESC? I'm going to replace the motor with this one:

in the summer so the motor won't be too much of a problem. I might also replace the ESC so that my VXL doesn't overheat and thermal as this is a huge motor and draws a lot of amps.
    That motor is $36 plus shipping, how is that any cheaper/better than the stock Traxxas motor that you can get from Tracxas for $40?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by gman897 View Post
    That motor is $36 plus shipping, how is that any cheaper/better than the stock Traxxas motor that you can get from Tracxas for $40?
    The stock traxxas motor is $90 plus shipping. It's also better because it is made for 1/8th scale cars so it packs a pretty punch. $40 is only when you replace your motor while it's in warranty, otherwise it costs an upward of $90.

RC Enthusiast
    The stock traxxas motor is $90 plus shipping. It's also better because it is made for 1/8th scale cars so it packs a pretty punch. $40 is only when you replace your motor while it's in warranty, otherwise it costs an upward of $90.
    Thats not the way it was explained to me at the LHS, and also under the "SUPPORT" section where it list the "LIFETIME ELECTRONICS WARRANTY" info. It specificallly states this is the price after the 30 day warranty. So you should always be able to get it at that price, but they may require you to send your old back to them. My LHS though just swapped it out with me for $40 and they said they would take care of sending it in if Traxxas requested it.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by gman897 View Post
    Thats not the way it was explained to me at the LHS, and also under the "SUPPORT" section where it list the "LIFETIME ELECTRONICS WARRANTY" info. It specificallly states this is the price after the 30 day warranty. So you should always be able to get it at that price, but they may require you to send your old back to them. My LHS though just swapped it out with me for $40 and they said they would take care of sending it in if Traxxas requested it.
    Yes, but that implies that you give them your old motor, either to the LHS or to traxxas themselves. This motor is $36 without sending anything to anyone and you also get 2 motors instead of one. I probably won't fix my velinion, as there are many better combos that are great upgrades, I just think that this motor wouldn't be too bad of an upgrade.

RC Champion
    You can always sell your broken motor.
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

As long as you take care of it..
    It will take care of you..
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Racer

thats a 2 pole motor, and lower in kv. it may be a little rough at low speeds, especially on 2s. imo a 120a esc would be best for that motor and higher gearing..
    what do you want out of it? how much more power then stock? imo there would be a better motor if you plan on keeping 2s and stock gearing... tacon makes one that is very similar in performance to the velinion..
    anyway those tacons get great reviews, i ordered a 2150kv (orange one) myself... should be here next week!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by JackSlash View Post
    I ordered a 2150kv (orange one) myself... should be here next week!
    Did you get it in the mail? How does it work for you?

RC Racer
    Yes, paired with a 120a esc running 3s its absolutely amazing! geared 21/54 it barely gets warm enough to notice its being run. great value and performance, i couldn't be happier.
    only problem is the stock rear axle stubs only lasted a pack and a half. tekno's on order : )

RC Qualifier
    Haha, thats great. Would you say its as good as the stock or better and as good as a castle or better or worse? How much did everything cost?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    Brushless Rips, Nitro Drips!!! BL Power FTW!

RC Qualifier
    I know it's cheap, but I could buy 2 by the time I get one new Velinion. IMO it's a great motor and for $30 I think it's the cheapest yet most substantial upgrade you can get. I read the reviews, and everyone gave it 5*. I think even if I can get 50 runs out of that motor, I'll be happy because it's less than $1 a run.
    I have 2 of these motors in both of my stampede 4x4's. I dont care what anybody says...THESE MOTORS ARE BEASTS!!! And the statement above is ignorant.(you get what you pay for. Cheap cost= cheap contruction and poor durability=false statement) Tacons and the cheaper brands are good motors. Its been proven and i have some to prove it. This motor paired with a hw sc8 esc (also better and cheaper than castle imo and alot of other peoples opinions) in my stampede 4x4 on 3s can easily do standing backflips, wheelie at ANY point through the powerband and goes over 60 mph. I have videos to prove it... ITS A NO BRAINER... GET THE $36.15 AND BE GLAD YOU SAVED $$$$$$ AND MAKE MORE POWER THAN THE VXL COULD DREAM OF. But WARNING Driveshaft upgrades are a must with this motor as its a powerhouse that produces more than the stampede 4x4 is capable of taking stock. Ive had to get mips and i stripped my desperadoes so 17mm uprgrades are next. Get the motor..I promise you wont be disappointed.

I clocked my topspeed at 55 mph (my topspeed not the motors I was scared to break my gps if i crashed)
    It was wheelieing at 55 so i know it had more =)
    I got the topspeed of the 2800kv version using my garmin gps.
    geared at 17/54
    proline trenchers

Get the giant t u r n i g y heatsink fan it fits the big motor nice
    Last edited by blazer; 03-09-2013 at 09:06 PM.

RC Racer
    Haha, thats great. Would you say its as good as the stock or better and as good as a castle or better or worse? How much did everything cost?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    way more power then stock.... but its also alot more motor... jang compares it to the mamba monster on youtube. i've never run castle myself, so i don't have an opinion on comparison on performance..
    the motor plus shipping came to $60, and the esc (toro sc 120a) was $65 shipped.

RC Qualifier
    It has power like a castle 2400 but runs warmer. Castle has freakishly cooler running motors. The power with is motor is un comparable to the stock motor. Its like comparing a 4 cylinder motor to a supercharged v8. The tacon is a 1/8 scale motor and 8th scale motors will ALWAYS produce more power than 1/10 scale.
    As stated above this motor is bigger (longer) than the vxl by i think 20 mm or more. You have to slightly modify the chassis to make it fit but is worth it in the end.
    I use the waterproof (wp) version of the 120a hobbywing sc8. It comes with a fan, is programmable, and is waterproof. Also can take 4s lipo. got it for $68 shipped on ebay from usa. (even cheaper if shipped from hongkong)

RC Racer
    No chassis modification needed on my standard 4x4 slash chassis.. with the tacon 2150

RC Qualifier
    oh snap! sorry i thought this was the stampede 4x4 section. Well your set then! sell your vxl esc and motor for 100 and get the wp sc8 and the dank 3674!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by JackSlash View Post
    No chassis modification needed on my standard 4x4 slash chassis.. with the tacon 2150
    Do you run 3s? What are your temps/gearing? And do u have a fan?

RC Qualifier
    I think I'm gonna end up selling the VXL system and get what blazer recommended. The only problem is my parents see traxxas parts as better quality only because they are more expensive, so it'll be hard to convince them to sell my VXL system. Who knows, maybe I'll keep it. I'll probably sell it though, but I know I need to do something because this system isn't cutting it. Well, now I have a lot of research to do for motors, ESCs etc etc.

RC Qualifier
    I bought a Hobby Wing 400kv motor and ESC combo from shop who is putting them in Slash 4X4 from new, he reckons the velineon 2 pole motor is old tech, and the new Hobby wing motors run cooler and give better run time. I will let you all know how it goes when I get new mount plate and motor mount. Blew bearing in Velineon today after only a few weeks from purchase so I guess it doesn't matter what you pay, machines will fail from time to time, just got to keep the maintenance and parts up.
    Keep on Bashing and you will keep on Trashing

RC Qualifier
    Come on keep the thread running, what is the best way to keep your Velineon running? comments like "look after it and it will look after you" teach nobody anything. I see a lot of people in these forum who need advice, basic advice.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    Dont get dust/dirt in the vxl (or especially) wet without immediately maintaining, then oiling the bearings and cleaning the motor, and keep your motor temps under 160f. Vxl will last... Oh and no 3s will really help.

Basic advice with experience and results to back it up^^^
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Qualifier
    Temp and maint after water I agree is the key, as for 3s I really do not see the need, we are having a blast destroying our slash trucks with 2s.

Ok, then you are good to go

RC Qualifier
    What is with the Taxi????, you yanks crack me up.

RC Qualifier
    Like the Taxi dude, checked out your link to. If your into engine technology check out Keonigsegg (inside Koenigsegg videos on you tube) I'd put a link up but I can't work out the URL thing.

RC Qualifier
    My 3674 2800kv motor is on the way here, I got it from hobbypartz and should be here next week
    I am going to run it with the vxl-3 esc for a while just because it's the only one I have and it was a huge purchase anyways $75 shipped and new tires $75 so it was a big weekend. I have the converters from 3.5mm to 4mm and got new pinions so when I get it I will take some videos and post them up. I just need a new motor mount. I still havent decided what to do with my old motor

Sell the old motor if it still works and then buy the kings headz motor mount and bearing adaptor then you are sorted dude....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Sounds good, but I would strongly recommend soldered joints over terminals any day, the current draw through terminals is greater then through a soldered joint, therefore as few terminals as possible. Run with terminals first to see how temps are going recommend check every few minutes of short fast runs, if all good after first battery get a second one in there (2S) and check it again. If temps are up on second battery but manageable temps then look at soldered joints (check temps at terminals to as you will see the current draw through them in the temp readings).
    Practice soldering to if you are not confident, I teach my workshop staff soldering on scrap pieces of wire and old electronic components, attention to detail in the preparation is the key, the soldering part should be quick to do. Also get some freeze spray for cooling the solder rapidly, this will prevent the heat from getting into components that you do not want excessive heat in.