Thread: titan 550's

RC Qualifier

titan 550's

how do i tell the difference between the regular rotation and the reversed rotation? i have two 550 titans and neither one of them say reversed rotation or normal rotation

RC Competitor
    The reversed rotation has a red arrow that says reversed rotation. At leased the one that came with my revo did. You can make a normal rotation a reversed rotation by hooking the red and black up backwards on the motor.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Concrete does not digest well...

RC Qualifier
    ok thank you.i thought i could do that.the reason i asked was i have 2 regular rotation 550's and a evx2 esc i got for cheap and i wanted to build my grandson a brushed erevo and the twin motor mount i have is the one for the revo not emaxx

RC Competitor
    No problem. Just be sure to break them in good. The one you use for reverse rotation should be broken in in reversed rotation as well.

RC Qualifier
    do you know if i can use the emaxx motor plate on the erevo transmission?the reason i ask is because the wires are to short from the motor that faces the front of the erevo

RC Competitor
    I have no idea, but I wold have to assume wire is cheaper than a motor mount.

RC Qualifier
    wire is on order from epbuddy but still would like both the motors facing backwards or the back of the truck

RC Qualifier
    Is the dual 550's a good mod?
    _______^_
    /______l__\____
    l_l O l_____l O l

RC Qualifier
    i don't know i just got it for a great deal and am building my 9 year old grandson a birthday present.that way he can be waterproof and run threw the puddles and almost whatever he wants.i also got a great deal on a titan 775 and evx2 i decided i am using in this build.i built one for my younger grandson which has twin 775's and when we had it out in the snow it would throw like 5 foot rooster tails.i had to use the kershaw designs twin motor mount on that one but thats for his twin 770's or the 775's

Traxxas Employee Texas Wheelman's Avatar
    Dual 550s is the stock setup for the brushed E-Revo. It works well, especially with the 2-speed. I personally like the wide-ratio 2-speed for the super low first gear.

Please make sure to run the reverse rotation motors in the proper location if you go with the stock setup. The motors do have slightly advanced timing, so running them backwards can prematurely wear them out over time.

If you click on the link below and look at the picture:

http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...op_chassis.jpg

You can see that the reverse rotation motor sits over the transmission case and the regular motor sits out over the chassis. The reverse rotation motor has a blue band at the bottom of the "Titan 550" sticker that says "Reverse Rotation".

To my knowledge, there is no easy way to get two motors on the same side of the motor mount of an E-Revo.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

RC Champion
    Considering the mounting direction of the transmission on the Revo, if you used the E-maxx motor plate, you would have to mount both motors with the wires facing the front of the car so the pinions meshed with the spur. Unless you performed unnecessary mods to the chassis, you cant mount the transmission in the opposite direction.

Long story short, solder longer wire to the motor facing front - as stated above

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Wheelman View Post
    Dual 550s is the stock setup for the brushed E-Revo. It works well, especially with the 2-speed. I personally like the wide-ratio 2-speed for the super low first gear.

Please make sure to run the reverse rotation motors in the proper location if you go with the stock setup. The motors do have slightly advanced timing, so running them backwards can prematurely wear them out over time.

If you click on the link below and look at the picture:

http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...op_chassis.jpg

You can see that the reverse rotation motor sits over the transmission case and the regular motor sits out over the chassis. The reverse rotation motor has a blue band at the bottom of the "Titan 550" sticker that says "Reverse Rotation".

To my knowledge, there is no easy way to get two motors on the same side of the motor mount of an E-Revo.
    So what would be a better setup. The dual 550 or the single 775.
    _______^_
    /______l__\____
    l_l O l_____l O l

Quote Originally Posted by Keila72 View Post
    So what would be a better setup. The dual 550 or the single 775.
    Power delivery will be similar between the two. With the 775, you have the challenge of finding pinion gears to fit a 5mm motor shaft, but it's easier to set gear mesh since you're doing one motor. The 775 will be a little bit slower-revving, but bog down less when the truck is getting through rough terrain or over obstacles, but you really have to look for the performance difference.

RC Qualifier
    Power delivery will be similar between the two. With the 775, you have the challenge of finding pinion gears to fit a 5mm motor shaft, but it's easier to set gear mesh since you're doing one motor. The 775 will be a little bit slower-revving, but bog down less when the truck is getting through rough terrain or over obstacles, but you really have to look for the performance difference.
    I'm mainly looking for reliability and speed. I have four 1/10 summits so my erevo won't be a craler. I also have my slashes for basher and track. I'm just kinda looking for fun. I have a ton of 5mm pinion gears and plenty of spur gear. I also don't need a two speed trany just because I have the summits. So knowing this whats the better mod. I have everything to run either setup. Which one will hopd up to 4 cell and or 5 cell
    _______^_
    /______l__\____
    l_l O l_____l O l

Quote Originally Posted by Keila72 View Post
    I'm mainly looking for reliability and speed. I have four 1/10 summits so my erevo won't be a craler. I also have my slashes for basher and track. I'm just kinda looking for fun. I have a ton of 5mm pinion gears and plenty of spur gear. I also don't need a two speed trany just because I have the summits. So knowing this whats the better mod. I have everything to run either setup. Which one will hopd up to 4 cell and or 5 cell
    Both will have equal reliability and speed. Both run at 16.8V on NiMH battery so you can run 14.4V 4-cell LiPo batteries if you have the EVX-2 with LVD. The EVX-2 cannot be run at 5S, it will trigger over-voltage protection. We haven't tested the motors at 5S either, so I can't say how they would perform or last running at that voltage. My personal preference is to go with a single motor, to make mounting and gear mesh adjustments easier.

RC Qualifier
    Both will have equal reliability and speed. Both run at 16.8V on NiMH battery so you can run 14.4V 4-cell LiPo batteries if you have the EVX-2 with LVD. The EVX-2 cannot be run at 5S, it will trigger over-voltage protection. We haven't tested the motors at 5S either, so I can't say how they would perform or last running at that voltage. My personal preference is to go with a single motor, to make mounting and gear mesh adjustments easier.
    I have the new evx2 with the lvd in two of my summits and all I do It put them in nimh mode and run a LVA and run 5 cell. I have gone threw a couple 775 motors and have found the they dont hold up to a lot of abuse. Can't replace the brushes. What is a safe operating temp for the 550. I was out doing some playing and I hit 179 on the motors so i shut her down. It was on 5 cell.
    _______^_
    /______l__\____
    l_l O l_____l O l

200 degrees is the absolute limit you want to go to on our electric motors.

RC Qualifier
    To my knowledge, there is no easy way to get two motors on the same side of the motor mount of an E-Revo- if you want to run 2 775's you can use kershaw designs dual motor mount like i did and they both face the back of the truck.just had to make a simple plate to mount over the shocks to mount the esc to