RC Racer

not sure what parts i need

ok im in the pprocess of gathering up my parts for my merv to rebuild it. i got it used so its has problems and i am finally getting around to fixing it. i have some parts on a list i wanna get but there are some parts im not sure which ones to get mainly the shocks and rocker arms. i also have a set of proline dirt hawgs on the beadlock rims not sure if that may caused the problems. here is the list of the parts i wanna get.

hot racing front aluminum bulkhead
    hot racing rear aluminum bulkhead
    hot racing aluminum steering knuckles
    traxxas 1/16th erevo diffs (cause my front one is blown out and my rear is almost done.)
    traxxas steel drive shafts
    traxxas steel center drive shafts
    traxxas aluminum wheel hexes
    traxxas aluminum push rods
    traxxas aluminum toe links

thats what im up to so far but there are a couple of issues im not sure how to fix yet. should i go with aluminum front body posts mainly cause i keep grinding them off due to i have to run the street often cause i really dont have any place near by that i can run in the dirt. also what are the stock rocker arms used?

i wanna run with the vg racing roll cage for this thing but im not sure if the stock front and rear body mounts are gonna be strong enough to support the cage in a crash. and i notice where the front body mount they rub the front rocker arms when they flex down a bit. with aluminum parts i cannot shave a bit off the bottom so hey dont rub. should i just put them up one more hole on the body post mounts.

now i am to the shocks. i have no clue to what i should look at. i really need to just replace the shocks cause the ones that are on it from the person i bought it from has some crap shocks and i dont know the brand of them. what shocks and springs should i look for also what oil should i run in them for all around running.
    i am also planning on getting the center diff cause im tired of flipping over and grinding my front body posts off what oil should i run in the center?

then the last issue i think is the skid plates. i wanna go with aluminum so i can have a bit more weight on the lower side of the truck. ive heard of the t-bone stuff but will they work with aluminum skid plates? or should i just stay with the stock plastic? i think thats about all i have for now. i may find some more later but i am not sure. sorry its so long i just wanna make sure i covered all of the things i need to know.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Go t bone wont need aluminum and aluminum bends!
    Have you tried a wheelie bar! If you are going Center diff use 100k oil for less ballooning
    Ditch those rims too heavy
    For shocks I would us Hr shock bodies and traxxas internals tin coated shafts and red pistons and 8wt oil summit blue and purple springs for all that aluminum weight. It does add up!
    Last edited by 50togo; 02-14-2013 at 09:51 PM.

RC Racer
    i was thinking of getting rid of the rims they are definatly heavy but thats all i have for now. may mount the tires on another set of rims though. and what do you mean by red pistons? i though pistons used holes not colors. and why traxxas 1/16 summit springs is there a difference? ill be figureing out alot before i can buy the stuff. i have alot on the list so far and it costs more then what its worth new. but then again thats half the fun also. once its built its gonna be bullet proof i hope. but what rockers are stock cause i have 2 different ones on my merv right now what are the stock stuff so i can have it normal. then what should i do for the battery doors. they dont seem to hold well in a crash. i notice with the tbone chassis saver there is a slight gap between the tbone and the chassis. could i put a strap around the entire truck as a extra measure with the batteries.

also would getting aluminum shock mounts be worth it? also do the hot racing shock bodies come with shock caps? cause im not sure if the ones on the traxxas gtr shocks for the merv are aluminum. but things are gonna be slow cause this is not my only rc project going on right now. im converting a jato to brushelss with a mamba monster in it on 4s for offroad and 6s for speed.
    Last edited by jato_builder; 02-15-2013 at 05:57 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    Go t bone wont need aluminum and aluminum bends!
    Personally, I disregarded this advise and have not regretted it - I guess everyone's different in what their kit goes through
    There are lots of ways to do that. Most are wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Hey jato,
    All the items you listed they are good upgrades.

hot racing front aluminum bulkhead
    hot racing rear aluminum bulkhead
    hot racing aluminum steering knuckles
    traxxas 1/16th erevo diffs (cause my front one is blown out and my rear is almost done.)
    traxxas steel drive shafts
    traxxas steel center drive shafts
    traxxas aluminum wheel hexes
    traxxas aluminum push rods
    traxxas aluminum toe links

The one I have different is the hexes, I'm using strc hexes with a screw pin
    At first before the hr aluminum bulkhead I was using strc aluminum skid plates
    Now just stock skids with those bulks
    It's all personal preference

My daughters mini has my aluminum skids on now. I have the t bone on hold until she can drive faster

The first thing I did was to stiffen up the chassis was to get a chassis brace from the toyz, if u use those you won't need aluminum shock tower

Everyone has thier preferences...

RC Racer
    I would get a new set of A Arms. I heard RPM makes some good ones.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 007A99 View Post
    I would get a new set of A Arms. I heard RPM makes some good ones.
    yep. top of list!
    There are lots of ways to do that. Most are wrong.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddykins View Post
    The first thing I did was to stiffen up the chassis was to get a chassis brace from the toyz, if u use those you won't need aluminum shock tower

Everyone has thier preferences...
    so the chassis braces you have they go from the top of the shocks to the single bolt on the front body post mounts? i just wanna make sure im looking at the orrect things. I might also get the lunsford racing titanium hinge pin kit too.

and i do have the rpm arms on my merv right now but one of them has a crack in the middle of the arm and another has a crack at the hinge pin. so im just gonna replace them. all of the skid gotta be replaced also cause they have been destroyed before i got it.

but with the bellcranks it seems very weak. should i go with a new one or is there another brand out there for a billet one.

does anybody remember what the stock gearing is on a merv? i wanna put mine back to stock. and i am running a 2s lipo. and should i put the gear cover back on? i plan on running in the sand so should i run with out it so the sand can escape or does the gear cover keep the stuff out? i think im gonna stay with the stock esc cause i wana run 2 batts. and with the tbone chassis skid can i fit a velcro strap between the tbone and the chassis so i can use a velcro strap to help hold the batts doors closed cause they pop open quite a bit lately in small crashes.

also has anybody heard anything about the vg racing roll cage cause i wanna get one for mine. but the stock front body mounts flexs alot on mine should i get the aluminum one with aluminum body posts for getting aluminum body posts and running the stock plastic body post mounts?
    Last edited by jato_builder; 02-15-2013 at 05:45 PM.

RC Racer
    i was searching through thetoyz website and i found this
    http://thetoyz.com/Traxxas/Mini-1-16...Motors/16088/#

i wonder if i could use this when i run in the sand so i dont have to worry about the spur pinion. i just wonder if i could get a velcro strap under the edge so i can use a secondary battery strap. im also thinking of getting the traxxas mahcined steel hollow balls are they something i should get?

also with the reciver box why ddoes it seems its always a pain when i gotta opn the box to close it again? is there any tips someone can tell me to make it more easy? also will a futaba r603ff reciever fit in the reciever box? cause the radio i have the antenna is messed up and i wanna pair it to my 3pmx i have. well atleast one of the 2 i have.
    Last edited by jato_builder; 02-15-2013 at 05:56 PM.