RC Racer

10 Wt,20 Wt, 30 Wt, 40 Wt, 50 Wt, Shock Oils Whut Does It All Mean???

the subject is self explanatory. What does 10,20,30,40,and 50 WT oil mean??. PLease reply soon.Thanks

RC Qualifier
    Your thread titles, are way too long.

but anyway it's the ammount of dampening effect the shocks will have, a higher weight oil will be thicker and add more dampening, for jumps and things around 50wt is good, if you go huge, then 60-70wt might be better.

Banned by Warnings
    But, with heavier oil like 50 wt or 60 you have a way better chance of your shock caps to come flying off!

RC Qualifier
    the higher the wt. the thicker the oil= stiffer suspenion.
    i try to stay away from 60wt. in my stock shocks
    it's all fun and games untill you strip a spur gear.

RC Qualifier
    Thats what aluminum shocks are for. Going to a piston with less holes will do the same thing as using a thicker shock oil.

Thicker shock oil or a piston with less holes gives the shocks more dampening. It will not make your suspension stiffer. Stiffer springs make your suspension stiffer. The spacers, collars, ect. adjust ride height. They are not used to stiffen the suspension. If you use them to make your suspension stiffer it will raise ride height at the same time which is not wanted by many people especially racers.
    Last edited by Atomic; 07-11-2004 at 08:57 PM.
    T MAXX 2.5,O.S.FS-40S-CX engine,Integy MSR5 shocks,bulletproof drivetrain,Gearing-65:24--Losi NT Adam Drake with Picco XP.15--2.5 powered nitro vee--Light race maxx with Picco P2 .21
    PICCO POWER!!

RC Enthusiast
    Because you brought up springs....what springs to you recomend with the stock shocks and oil....I bought some 45 weight oil and was gonna put it in with some stiffer springs...only ones i looked at are the trinity heavy duty springs...what do you recomend...anyone

RC Qualifier
    I recommend putting one Trinity light blue spring on each corner. One package comes with four so you should be set. This is a great setup for most things from racing to bashing. What are you planning on doing? If your going to be bashing and getting some massive air then get yourself some R/C Raven dual rate springs.
    T MAXX 2.5,O.S.FS-40S-CX engine,Integy MSR5 shocks,bulletproof drivetrain,Gearing-65:24--Losi NT Adam Drake with Picco XP.15--2.5 powered nitro vee--Light race maxx with Picco P2 .21
    PICCO POWER!!

RC Enthusiast
    i just bash and mess around...dont race..... so you think the blue trinity springs on the outside will be fine for that, they also have black spings that are stiffer maybe those would be better? The trinity spings are the only ones my lhs carry..so thats why i was talking trinity...otherwise i will have to order offline witch is no big deal

RC Qualifier
    For your application the Trinity light blue springs on the corners sounds good.
    PICCO POWER!!

Banned by Warnings
    i was just curious as to why you guys recommend the trinity light blue springs only on the outside corners. i got 2 pairs and run all 8 of them on the stock shocks, and recently refilled my shocks with 45wt oil. i don't race but i didn't like the way the suspension was sagging stock. whats the difference between running 4 blue and 4 red springs and all 8 blue? cause if it makes that much of a difference i might try putting 4 of the stock springs back on. thanks.

RC poster
    I have a slash 4x4 and I don't know what shocks to get because every time I go off a jump it bottoms out I want to get more but I don't know where to start. And what dose + and - 20% and 10% and other numbers mean, What dose the different colors mean is there a difference

RC Champion
    Latitude:N 37 15' 47.0002" Longitude:W 115 47' 34.8713"
    bottoming out isnt a bad thing if you jump 6ft high and dont bottom out when you land your shocks/shock towers are taking all the abuse.... if you can drop your vehicle by hand from 5 to 6ft and it doesnt bottom out thats way to stiff..

i usually set my trucks/buggies up to not bottom out from about a 2.5/3ft drop... and i do it with medium springs and 50w oil with aluminum shocks on all my vehicles.....

i got the integy spring set so i could find what i like.... it came with many different ones...
    Traxxas is good, but so are other Manus

Quote Originally Posted by loganator View Post
    I have a slash 4x4 and I don't know what shocks to get because every time I go off a jump it bottoms out I want to get more but I don't know where to start. And what dose + and - 20% and 10% and other numbers mean, What dose the different colors mean is there a difference
    First off: welcome to the forums! Not sure what brought you to bump a nearly nine-year-old thread in the T-Maxx forum though. As mentioned, bottoming out is not all that bad as the chassis absorbs some of the landing rather than depending completely on the shocks and the shafts (which can bend).
    When you talk 10%, 20%, et al to us nitro guys we will confuse you with nitro fuel talk. 10wt, 20wt, 30wt, etc is the weight of the oil (think 5w-20, 5w-30, 10w-30, 10w-40... in autos) so the higher the number the thicker the oil. But you cannot simply stick a super thick oil in the shock and not change the spring. The oil and spring need to compliment each other.
    Best to take this question to the Slash 4x4 forum and see what they have to say.
    Last edited by Double G; 03-25-2013 at 08:41 AM.
    The Super Derecho