RC poster

Question Hot Racing Aluminum Rear Bulkheads: Shim Issue

So I crashed my MERV pretty hard a couple weeks ago: it broke the back of the chassis, as well as the two rear bulkheads. I bought the Hot-Racing rear aluminum bulkheads to replace the originals with, and used a small steel brace and JB-weld to fix the broken chassis.

The new bulkheads fit great; my only problem is I don't know how many shims to add to the diff. I added one shim (the kit came with 4), but now that the car's back together, I can hear those gears click if I go hard on the throttle.

I tried contacting Hot Racing to ask their opinion, but never got an answer. Does anyone have any idea how many shims I should use, or a way I can tell how many it needs?

Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    I had to put only one in my summit on the front and back, I tried two but when I put it together and turned the center drive shaft it felt like it was binding so I took one out and it felt smooth. thats about my extent of knowledge for this sure others have more.
    Last edited by Timber211; 02-14-2013 at 08:16 PM.
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    They are all different. When shimming add a few shims and bolt it together with the skid plate and brace onto the chassis. and turn the pinion. If it binds remove a shim and bolt.it up again. If it turns easy add another shim and do the same. . If its clicking don't drive it and pull it apart. You.might be able to save it

I would look into a new chassis pretty inexpensive on ebay
    Last edited by 50togo; 02-14-2013 at 08:29 PM.

RC poster
    Thanks for the advice: adding one more shim did the trick