Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    6

    Parts to Have on hand with new MERV

    Just as the title states, I live in the boonies so all of my purchases take a couple days to get to me. SO... what parts should a guy have on hand to upgrade/replace when things break?

    Summary/shopping list:
    -RPM A arms.
    - Toe links Traxxas P# 7138x for - If there is something better let me know, a quick search on here gave me these.
    - Carriers - RPM or something else?
    - Axles - Stock or something else?
    - Servo - HS-5085MG- This seems to be a highly recomemnded servo, do they make a waterproof one, or can I waterproof it?
    Last edited by Bennenrkc; 02-14-2013 at 11:17 AM.

  2. #2
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    flint, mi
    Posts
    127
    if your getting a new merv most people would say. replace the stock bridle hard plastic A-arms with rpm A-arms. for starters.

  3. #3
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    6
    would you do it right away or just wait until the stock ones break? I had planned on running it stock until something breaks, however is that a bad idea?

  4. #4
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    so cal
    Posts
    9,244
    Toe links maybe carriers and axles. An extra servo!
    Last edited by 50togo; 02-14-2013 at 10:42 AM.

  5. #5
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    6
    Stock toe links or ????????
    Are their upgraded axles?

  6. #6
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    flint, mi
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennenrkc View Post
    would you do it right away or just wait until the stock ones break? I had planned on running it stock until something breaks, however is that a bad idea?
    thats up to you. me personally i would just go ahead knock it out and be done with it. but thats just me.

  7. #7
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Alma, MI
    Posts
    12,281
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

  8. #8
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    6
    I wish I could keep editing my first post to include the full shopping list for future people. Thanks and keep the ideas coming.

    Adding to the shopping list above.
    - Tbone plate
    - Shims - Thanks for the link on that, i have been reading about it but had no idea what people were talking about.

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    recalculating...
    Posts
    581
    I would get RPM arms before anything else, and while setting up the shims I'd add thicker shock oil along the way. For toe links I added steel hollow balls to the stock toe links and generally they've held up well, I don't like investing money in stock parts I plan to upgrade later but it's been hard for me to justify upgrading when a complete set of toe links and push rods is $8. Before you get too busy in "must have" upgrades after shimming and RPM suspension arms I would focus on getting wide offset tires, I think it gives you a good increase in performance.
    I like turtles.

  10. #10
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Meebert View Post
    I would get RPM arms before anything else, and while setting up the shims I'd add thicker shock oil along the way. For toe links I added steel hollow balls to the stock toe links and generally they've held up well, I don't like investing money in stock parts I plan to upgrade later but it's been hard for me to justify upgrading when a complete set of toe links and push rods is $8. Before you get too busy in "must have" upgrades after shimming and RPM suspension arms I would focus on getting wide offset tires, I think it gives you a good increase in performance.
    Do you have a suggestion for wide offset tires. I plan on leaving it stock until something breaks and then fixing it and just don't want to have to wait for parts, free time for me is hard to come by and when I have the time to play I want to play, not wait for parts. So if I have some of the most common inventory needed on hand I should always be able to play.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    sacramento, ca
    Posts
    742
    I would say forget the rpm carriers, go with hr. Or some other aluminim carrier. Also I would keep an extra ring and pinion around in case you strip a differential. It will rarely happen, if ever, once you shim your differentials, but until then keep a couple extras on hand. Get yourself some steel cvd's as well.
    addicted much....

  12. #12
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    121
    So here's my debate on RPM arms. I've seen and heard people who have ran RPM arms on all 4 corners have bent Traxxas CVD's when they crash, cartwheel, etc. Hence why I have stayed away from RPM arms (even though they are more durable aka flexible, and dont break in half when compared to the stock arms). Anyone have any objections?

    I definitely recommend shimming the front and rear diffs, especially running LiPo's, Sway bars, beter tires, and servo.

  13. #13
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    sacramento, ca
    Posts
    742
    [QUOTE=linux38;5422540]So here's my debate on RPM arms. I've seen and heard people who have ran RPM arms on all 4 corners have bent Traxxas CVD's when they crash, cartwheel, etc.

    You know what, i have rpm arms all around on my merv and cvd's also and I bent three cvd's in one weekend, hard bashing. I couldn't figure out how they were getting bent. But this comment brings to light something that never crossed my mind! I was doing lots of cartwheeling. Lol
    addicted much....

  14. #14
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    470
    Do what I do.

    Have a spare for EVERYTHING!

  15. #15
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Slono View Post
    Do what I do.

    Have a spare for EVERYTHING!
    This is my "wife's car" it is my spare for my erbe.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

  16. #16
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    recalculating...
    Posts
    581
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennenrkc View Post
    Do you have a suggestion for wide offset tires. I plan on leaving it stock until something breaks and then fixing it and just don't want to have to wait for parts, free time for me is hard to come by and when I have the time to play I want to play, not wait for parts. So if I have some of the most common inventory needed on hand I should always be able to play.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    For rims the traxxas dished rims are a popular choice, jconcepts rulux wheels also look good. For tires the proline dirt hawgs are the most popular choice but you might look into other options to suit your terrain needs, any 2.2 buggy tire will do the job. Also if your stock wing gets tore up order an ofna 1/12 wing, I have a pic posted in the gallery it's a much more durable wing and it's more appropriately sized, the stock wing is the same size as the team associated RC18B.
    I like turtles.

  17. #17
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by the finisher View Post
    I would say forget the rpm carriers, go with hr. Or some other aluminim carrier. Also I would keep an extra ring and pinion around in case you strip a differential. It will rarely happen, if ever, once you shim your differentials, but until then keep a couple extras on hand. Get yourself some steel cvd's as well.
    Im hope I dont sound stupid but I am new to the hobby, and what is a ring?

  18. #18
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Alma, MI
    Posts
    12,281
    The part on the left below:
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

  19. #19
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    so cal
    Posts
    9,244
    I had a spare for everything and then I built another merv!

  20. #20
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Vic. Australia
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    I had a spare for everything and then I built another merv!
    I'm trying to not build a second, but keeping spare parts as spares - hard to resist...chassis and all...but I need alot of spares.
    1/16 EREVO, 1/10 SUMMIT

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •