RC Qualifier

Center driveshafts, plastic or steel?

I've been browsing through the erevo, max, and summit forums, and have seen a few people mention using stock plastic shafts like a fuse, either at the center or the corners. I'm guessing it's cheaper and easier to replace a plastic shaft at around ten bucks than a 25 $ differential. I'm trying to find an alternative to 250$ differential upgrades, and this is looking like a good alternative. Does anybody use this technique? And how effective is it? It would be super easy to keep a few extra drive shafts on hand and just swap it out when one pops.
    addicted much....

RC Champion
    I dont use that technique but i guess if you dont mind replacing them every so often and it works for you why not.
    After i replaced mine a couple times i went with the traxxas steel cvds on one of my maxxs. I guess it All depends on how hard you run your truck and how often your willing to replace shafts.

RC Qualifier
    That's the thing. I take care of my stuff, but I am hard on them. I already have steel cvd's, and steel centers. I blew a front diff this last weekend, was going pretty good and hit a sapling while on the brakes. It wasn't a catastrophic crash by any means. I more bumped the tree than hit it, plus the tree had some give to it cause it was a sapling. Anyways, it blew my front diff. I have the hr bulkheads that come apart for easy removal of the differential, but it would be easier and cheaper to just replace a driveshaft now and then.
    addicted much....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Try it! That and set your slipper a little looser

RC Qualifier
    Ok, I will. Can't hurt I guess.
    I just can't can't convince myself to spend 250 $ on those diffs all you guys are building. not yet at least....lol
    addicted much....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That's what I said couple months ago

I use steel centre drive shaft on all my trucks .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I use Summit driveshafts as center driveshafts...
    200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC Qualifier
    Popoxx used UE Spider Diffs ($300 Diffs) with GA 7075 bulks with the stock traxxas plastic driveshafts...he said liked the power-weight ratio....I use Traxxas Steel CVDs, about 7 bucks to replace each one........there was another member on here with a set of driveshafts that he found in a magazine that i've never even seen before that were about 75s a pair !

RC Qualifier

RC Champion
    Those Ball x shafts are pretty fancy. I like the design.

RC Champion
    I agree i like the design,but not the 6mm axles. Ill stick with my lst xxl for 7.50 ea. For now and Keep a few spares around just in case.

RC Qualifier
    I agree, the Losi LSTXXL axles are much better and not saying they are "cheaper" rather "smarter".....EMAXXBRUSHLESS....where can I find them for $7.50 each....becasue if i am correct....i thought the part number was LOSB3520 for LST2 axles....are you using the LST2 or just the LST ? Thanks !

RC Qualifier
    I'm gonna go to my lhs and get a new diff today, loosen my slipper and change the tire I split in half. Then hope for the best!
    addicted much....

RC Champion
    usman, I'm using the LST2 Your part number is correct. losb3520 E-bay chop shops.