Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Champion

What's so great about the MERV?

This is a serious question, not an attempt to start a fight. Call it ignorance, but I just don't get why the MERV is so massively popular. I started a similar thread on the Summit a few weeks ago and was educated very quickly. Convince me that this is a car worth buying. Maybe I just don't get the 1/16 thing? All I own is 1/10...
    Last edited by zippogeek; 02-14-2013 at 08:02 AM.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Racer
    Bought mine to be a basher, the 1/16th size is smaller and less mass when hitting things... Its a fast agile lil thing!

RC Qualifier
    Not going to lie i have been wondering the same thing. Looks like a lot of fun though

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

RC Qualifier
    Ive owned mine for a few months and love it. Had all 1/10 Nitros and also have Brushless slash 4X4. Real fun little car and priced well. Needs a number of ups right outta the box but thats fun too. Not to mention they look sweet.

E-REVO MMM - Stampede 4x4 6s/3s

RC Qualifier
    They are great little bashers. I have 2 of them a Vxl Merv and a brushed Grave Digger. The Merv is my daughters and the Digger is my sons. They love running them and have beat on them pretty good with little breakage. I have to admit that I did not think I would like the smaller size as much as I do. I am used to 1/10 scale but I really like running them, even on 2s the Merv is a little rocket right out of the box. The only down side that I have run into is the servo, it has all plastic gears and they like to break so be ready to upgrade that soon. The Vxl esc likes to heat up quick even on 2s but I am still on the original one(3 years old) and when that goes I will find a better one.

This is all about personal preference though so if you can try and run one before you buy and see if it is for you.

RC Qualifier
    Im also on my second servo. I had to go with the stock as my lhs was out of stock on metal geared ones. Also on second wing (losi 8 instead of stock), have broken (1) rear bulk head and stripped 2 sets of diff gears (shims on order). Stock wheels suck and the glue will come undone soon. Also change to RPM A-Arms and axle carriers. JM2C.

RC Racer
    I've actually gone the other way with R/Cs. My first hobby grade machine was a Mini-T (the thing that started the hobby grade mini craze), followed by the RC18T. Those were 1/18th and this is a step up to 1/16th.

As said by FiremanJBI, these do need a few upgrades out of the box. My little Revo did almost need a new servo out of the box (4th pack) but its been replaced with something metal geared. The stock suspension is a mess. Thicker oil, different spring rates, and different shock bodies that didn't leak solved that. I did put some HPI 1/10th truck wheels on with the 1/16 Summit Canyon AT tires. Loving that combination. Those and the shock changes made it truly a fun little machine that is decent at bashing.

This R/C has let me see the appeal of bigger units but they are more-so always outside units....My MERV is still small enough to run indoors and I like that. If the MERV were a little bit bigger, I think it would be better for me. Like going to a 1/14th scale. The full sized Revo is just too big for where I run.

I think the biggest appeal for this little truck is all the power it has, for the size is just amazing and fun. And the price, while a bit high, isn't that bad (especially when compared to the 1/10 E-Revo Brushless)

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The merv is a fun little car and with some mods very impressive to watch at speed. It is a handful in the dirt compared to 1/10 scale but sometimes that makes it more exciting

I have two fully modified mervs and big revo and e maxx and t maxxes. On a speed run watching my big revo do 60+ is not quite as exciting as my merv doing 65+ my big block merv was setup to break 80

The little truck is a blast!

RC Qualifier
    These little trucks are awesome for a couple of reasons. I haven't even been in this hobby for a year and have 2 mini revo vxl's, mini summit vxl, two emaxxes, a rustler, a stampede, and have 2 more stampedes on the way! Here's what I've learned, first of all price, they are cheaper than the larger cars, and upgrade/replacement parts are cheaper, they take a lot less space to run and still have a good time, and you can still get the same speeds as the larger cars! Over all you can still have a fun and fast car or truck and still stick to a small budget and you dont have to load up and make a special trip just to run your rc's, although you still can if you want. They are capable of running in most places the bigger one's can. It's nice to get off work and be able to pop a battery in and mash around in the driveway or front yard. The bigger trucks like emaxx are not as fun without a lot of space.
    addicted much....

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by the finisher View Post
    These little trucks are awesome for a couple of reasons. I haven't even been in this hobby for a year and have 2 mini revo vxl's, mini summit vxl, two emaxxes, a rustler, a stampede, and have 2 more stampedes on the way!
    You need help!!

I agree with you on the E-Maxx...mine needs a lot of room to roam. Slowly starting to see the perks of 1/16...

RC Qualifier
    Not trying to get you looking at other brands by any means, but note the model last in my sig. Its well compaired to the MERV. Yes, some pros / cons. But I had to have one so I got both

RC Qualifier
    Not tryin to jack your thread but heres a size comparison if anyone cares

RC Champion
    They're fairly close in size.

RC Qualifier
    The MERV has a set of wheels from the "other" truck on them which really lifts it up. The other truck is wicked fast outta the box, but doesnt come with a battery. Im running 2S and its will do standing flips too

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by zippogeek View Post
    You need help!!

I agree with you on the E-Maxx...mine needs a lot of room to roam. Slowly starting to see the perks of 1/16...
    Haha! My names jason.......I'm an addict.
    addicted much....

RC Racer
    Merv has patent design that compelled me to buy it. Savage XS Flux was my second choice. Pretty much all my LHS has merv parts to replace. The radio is nice with internal antenna and only uses four batteries. I just upgraded the servo, and I'm not complaining.

RC Racer
    Hi Jason.
    My name is Shane. I am also an addict.
    LOL.

RC Qualifier
    ^^^^^^^^^ lol
    addicted much....

RC Racer
    I heard Savage Flux XS is durable and able to take the beating. Is that true?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Possibly now... but when they first came out owners complained of weak electronics, snapped drive shafts, and it being a total pain to work on.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    I guess all RC's have problems with stock electronics. Still have to upgrade anyway. Someone mentions in kk forum that he wants a cloned merv or other Traxxas products. I wonder if these exist?
    Last edited by Tecboy; 02-14-2013 at 01:00 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Keep talking xs and they will shut the thread down!
    Compared to my erbe

RC Racer
    Two reasons I bought 1/16th scale. First is cost, for my son I wanted to buy him a hobby grade truck and the 1/16th is much more affordable then 10th. Also the fact it is smaller helps effectivly make my small back yard bigger. I have a medium size yard so the smaller truck gives "more room to run it."

P.S. Talking about the other truck isn't going to help you out. Traxxas is #1 for a reason. You will also be able to find parts virturally anywhere you go!
    Last edited by custmemaxx1; 02-14-2013 at 01:16 PM.

RC Racer
    In my area, all local parks ban all RC's. My merv is good to drive around the neighborhood streets and also parking lots in nearby shopping centers. Since my merv is small, I intend to sneak in the parks without getting caught. If I have big revo, I don't think there is a way to drive anywhere, unless it is a big mall parking lot. I read the other threads, the XO-1 supercar, people buy these but couldn't find a place to drive.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by custmemaxx1 View Post
    Traxxas is #1 for a reason. You will also be able to find parts virturally anywhere you go!
    Amen to that. I was just thrashing around with my Rally a while ago, marveling at how tough that little sucker is. Traxxas = durability.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Tecboy View Post
    I heard Savage Flux XS is durable and able to take the beating. Is that true?
    Yes its an awesome truck. Much tougher out of the box then the Merv. Yeah they had probs with the ESC in the begining, but all good now. Dont get me wrong, I love the Merv too, but if you like Mervs you'll love this little feller

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by zippogeek View Post
    Amen to that. I was just thrashing around with my Rally a while ago, marveling at how tough that little sucker is. Traxxas = durability.
    Traxxas does equal fairly good durability, the only thing I think you won't like about the merv is the stock servo and plastic hollow balls.. $45 dollar permanent fix with steel hollows and aftermarket servo.. Then the real upgrades begin lol
    What's a coffee if it aint Irish

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    Compared to my erbe
    lol I didn't even notice the merv the first few scrolls through
    What's a coffee if it aint Irish

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TQi View Post
    lol I didn't even notice the merv the first few scrolls through
    Wow....Neither did I....

RC Racer
    Please don't hate merv. It is an innocent little car.

RC Champion
    whats so great about a merv you ask. its the only brand rc aloud on this site. oh, and of course everything else. i like the fact i can turn it into a summit in five minutes. or i can turn my mini slash into a camaro in five minutes.
    Last edited by ajcar; 02-14-2013 at 05:47 PM.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Racer
    Customization, Speed, Power for its size, and durability.

2 cell is fun, 3 cell shes a tazmanian devil when properly geared and properly tuned (suspension wise, weight balance, etc.).
    Last edited by linux38; 02-14-2013 at 06:56 PM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by linux38 View Post
    Customization, Speed, Power for its size, and durability.

2 cell is fun, 3 cell shes a tazmanian devil when properly geared and properly tuned (suspension wise, weight balance, etc.).
    SWEET MERCY...is that an adult beverage I see in background of this picture!? You have run afoul of the forum Rules & Regulations! (beer reference)

(Seriously though...thanks for your input!)

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    Compared to my erbe

Dude 50togo.... This E-Revo is so BIG! Are you impressing ladies? Can you ride on it?

RC Racer
    it just a great lil truck small areas, less mass, easy and cheaper although mods tend to add up as well as other scales as well. its a stout lil mean street speedster and 20 min later its a mud riding fool. compact easy to carry place to place for ones that live in cities. its like a swiss army rc lol

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tecboy View Post
    Dude 50togo.... This E-Revo is so BIG! Are you impressing ladies? Can you ride on it?
    Ha! Even makes my t maxx look small

RC Qualifier
    The F-1 suspension and the speed out of the box. 2 features that ironically contradict each other.

3rd is the light weight = less breakage for the most part.

The stock suspension is a mess.
    Unless you are offroading or trailblazing. Then its incredible. As I said, points 1 & 2 contradict. But most people want to 'go rilly fast like i saw on utube but i didnt reed the manual so what pinion should i use for 7s?'. Then you have to adjust it.

RC Qualifier
    The 1/16 scale is good for enthusiasts who don't have a lot of space to rip around on. This is the reason why I've decided to stick with this scale... although the 1/10 rally is tugging at my leg.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Slono View Post
    although the 1/10 rally is tugging at my leg.
    Pull the trigger...you'll love it! Mine is quick and nimble. Even on 2S.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by eat2muchrice View Post
    My merv sits on my lap while I'm on the computer, she also purrs at me. "good kitty"
    Auhhhhhhhh Ok