RC Enthusiast

does the 4th series nimh and the lipos have the same effect power wise

does the 4th series nimh and the lipos have the same effect? If i put a series 4 nimh in my stampede 4x4 vxl will it be as fast as with a lipo

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    What cell count LiPo?
    What cell count NiMh?

Lets say they are both the exact same voltage after a charge... because top speed comes from voltage. NiMh loose that voltage faster than LiPo... meaning you will have more of that top speed throughout the run.

Ounce for ounce, gram for gram... you can get more mAh in the same space with LiPo over NiMh... more mAh = more run time.

LiPo can deliver amperage better than NiMh... which means you will be able to get up to that top speed faster.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    so with a nimh i could get to a top speed of 80+ with a brushless truck but i can accelerate faster with a lipo

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by devonbeast12 View Post
    so with a nimh i could get to a top speed of 80+ with a brushless truck but i can accelerate faster with a lipo
    You didn't answer jimmie Questions . What cell count LiPo? ,What cell count NiMh & what volts ?
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Enthusiast
    4000 mah 2 cell lipo 4200 mah 7 cell nimh
    Last edited by devonbeast12; 02-15-2013 at 04:42 PM.

It is going to be a challenge to hit 80+ with only 10.5 volts... that is roughly what a 7 cell NiMh is fully charged.

The 3300 mAh LiPo... what is the cell count?
    If it is 3S, you will have more voltage than the 7 cell NiMh at 12.6v fully charged.
    If it is 2S, you will have less voltage than the 7 cell NiMh at 8.4v fully charged.

RC Enthusiast
    sorry last minute change

RC Competitor
    Old thread, but its on the same topic of Lipos vs NIMH. My stock geared Rustler VXL "had" a DTX 4600 8.4 7 cell. I say "had" because it fell apart after some jumping and is pretty much ruined. So I am looking into an upgrade to make my Rustler quicker and with a higher top speed since well.. I do not have a battery. I am looking into Lipos and I see Traxxas has a 7.4 volt 2s 5000MAH. So it will last a while but its only 7.4 volts, which means it won't be as fast as my NIMH, since it was 8.4 volts? Or will it since Lipo does not lose voltage as quickly? Sounds like my only choice is the 11.1 volt 5000 MAH 3s. What speed range will this get my Rustler @? Any other options?

What ESC?
    Usually all that is needed to replace a 7 cell NiMh is a 2S LiPo. They are 8.4v fully charged. 3S adds a lot of stress with its higher voltage @ 12.6v and usually requires regearing and other modifications.

RC Competitor
    Stock ESC. Is that a factor? How about a lower MAH 3s? Like a 3000 or so. Less runtime = less heat/wear. Why go 2s if it performs just the same as a 7 cell? Just longer runtime holding the power.

ESC is a factor. Some don't handle 3S well at all and would require upgrading to run 3S.

Lower mAh effects run time and available amperage. While lower mAh will result in shorter run times, it will not solve the heat issues that go with higher voltage.

RC Competitor
    So just go with another 7 cell 8.4 NIMH then?

That is up to you... but you will get more power out of a 2S LiPo than all but the best 7 cell NiMh's.

RC Qualifier
    If you have never experienced lipo's your in for a treat. Find the best one that will ork w your rig and get it.

RC Competitor
    Well I am leaning towards a 5000mah 2s. Then I will need to get a special Balancer/Charger. Since the one I have does not do Lipos. After researching there is a RC course and I was told I can try out different Lipos there.
    Thanks guys.