RC Qualifier

Post Project BLACK MAMBA SLASH - tHa Castle Powered Pro-line BashOholic

mostly pro-line mods, all metal gears + diff by HR, Castle 4 pole 4000kv motor, MMP ESC+CC BEC 10a, HI-Torque 4x4 sc10 slipper pads, JConcepts silent spur AE gear 86T, Losi8 shocks, Pro-trac kit, pro-trac cvd, trencher SC tires on split 6 pro-trac wheels, HR alum fron C-blocks, RPM front carrier, pro2 King pins, Full ceramic ACER2 seal Y grade bearing kit, pro2 hinge pin kit, proline body mount kit, pro-line steering kit and more

I went for a color coordinated, premium quality, light weight basher that is made to take abuse yet still perform much better than stock... Jumping is what I do most so I steer clear of the LCG kits and got huge shocks instead. let me know if you have any questions.

The body is a Pro-Line Flo-tek Ford Raptor SVT but its in process of being painted now. I should be done tonight or tomorrow.

ACER Pro Y grade sealed bearings in everything including trans

'Life is for living, not living uptight'

RC Qualifier

the Snappy RC mount for the map is my favorite innovation

I still need to clean up the wiring mess. I have dark silver metallic nylon fire-safe braided sleeving for all the wires and lots of black shrink wrap coming in the mail.. Im going to cap the ends of the sleeving with shrink wrap for a nice factory looking setup. Hey its fire safe to haha

I need to put 6mm limiters in the shocks and add my light weight oil. They are 1/8 buggy shocks which is a lot heavier vehicle and are about 6mm longer than slash shocks. But they are so friggn plush its stoopid ...I can't wait to bash this thing. Dr Isotope & HazardousChurch over at URC report these shocks are the cat's meow.

I severely dread the ESC/BEC/Rx programming part of this build. I have always bought RTR trucks in the past and have no idea how to program this before I drive it. I have the program card thing but I also have a 10a CC bec hooked up which I assume effects the programing function being that you have to pull out the red wire from the 'ESC to Receiver' cord. That cord is the one you plug into the field card isn't it? I'm confused about that whole situation and the guy at the LHS confused me more lol. Other than that this entire build was pretty smooth. Using the pro-line parts made for good compatibility imo as I" assume they do R&D with their own parts on. Oh ya I got the chassis saver plate but I won't have a drill for couple days. Not sure I want to try the reemer or not.

RC Qualifier
    Paint/decals for body. I have custom 'Black Mamba' stickers being made because I think thats good name for this truck. I wish I knew how to airbrush :/ but for now I'll have to try and make this vinyl graffix look good

What kind of body are you painting?

Edit:nvm
    I see it's a proline ford f-150 svt
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    svt flo-tek

The one with the big hood scoop and vents all over it

RC Qualifier
    S6030 is a 279oz torque servo with .015 speed.. S6040 was high speed servo at .07 but I went for trq. Cant wait to try it. Still need to buy a battery lol... tomorrow

RC Champion
    You can use a servo extension for the esc and pull the red wire out of the extension, and keep the red wire in the esc connector to use the field programmer. If you keep the esc connector out of the receiver box using the extension then you can program it without cracking open the receiver box.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Qualifier
    cool thats good idea...matter of fact I was just let on to it before I read this lol

But I still don't understand how I am able to program my esc to use the external BEC when the bec is not going to be plugged in while I am using the program card. I was told I have to program my esc for a 10a CC bec ..is that not true?

Where is the option to turn on the external bec on the card cuz I don't see it... is their info on this somewhere or am I missing something. Its not in the directions for either the esc or cc 10a bec
    Last edited by RallySoob; 02-12-2013 at 07:34 PM.

It didn't work for me If I wanted to use my field card I have to plug it directly into the esc,or use the pc y set up.and that wouldn't work with the field card either.
    If you get it to work let me know,even thou once set i rarely bother with it,it might still be nice to have.
    Quote Originally Posted by RallySoob View Post
    cool thats good idea...matter of fact I was just let on to it before I read this lol

But I still don't understand how I am able to program my esc to use the external BEC when the bec is not going to be plugged in while I am using the program card. Where is the option to turn on the external bec on the card cuz I don't see it... is their info on this somewhere or am I missing something. Its not in the directions for either the esc or cc 10a bec
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    If you do what was mentioned you will be plugging your field card directly into your ESC bud. And then after you program your ESC, you plug your esc cord back into the extension that is already plugged in to your Receiver. This extension has the red wire disable so that the esc never sends the red wire signal to the transmitter. Get it?

RC Qualifier
    so I think I understand the bec/esc issue. I will not need to worry about the bec being plugged in during programming... just program my esc before I start the truck...using my field card...then plug the BEC back in and it should start up? right?

I get it,Ive done it,for the 20 seconds to take off two screws,do it right,and keep it water proof. Not to mention the field card hardly ever gets used,I will continue to do it that way.
    I wish you no trouble,and hope it works for you.
    If you do what was mentioned you will be plugging your field card directly into your ESC bud. And then after you program your ESC, you plug your esc cord back into the extension that is already plugged in to your Receiver. This extension has the red wire disable so that the esc never sends the red wire signal to the transmitter. Get it?

RC Racer
    Holy moly, what a build. If you wanna dump money into a slash, this is the way it should be done, an all out basher. Looks killer man, those shocks are just boss. Glad to see a slash build with the origianl chassis, stayin true to its roots! Love it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    This is all coming together nice! You say your a jumper.... me too! Here's the set up that gets it done for me,
    I tend to hit a jump over in over, it seems I cant tear myself away from an awesome jump!

I learned alot on that particular jump lol, alloy shock caps for the losi's, needed bigger stronger links (thedreaded slayer links were used from then on), also found that the proline chassis saver is a must. I split many chassis in a few weeks but the saver put a stop to it. Also, you may want a alloy bulkhead. The screws will forever strip out of a stock bulk on a basher slash!
    Im anxious to see you lid finished, truck in full order, its gonna be a beauty! Im also interested in reading about your f/r bumpers, how they do with a basher. I love the old f/r skids and front bumper from proline.
    The pix above are from a few vids I made, also did a build thread on the truck, thedreadedend's slash mt xl.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Qualifier
    How do you like the 2.8 wheels? I thought about doing emac excursion or suburban type body on 2.8's just for fun & i miss my first truck...a t-maxx 2.5 with black excursion body back in 2001'

I have the chassis saver...I have 2 actually. But I need to drill a big hole (3/8"?) through the middle of it so that my RPM rear skid plate's mounting post can still be used. It will be nice when its done, Im going to get my drill back today, left it 60mi from my house its been a pain

Ive done alloy bulkhead before, and to be honest I did it for looks because I never broke the stock bulkhead. My nephew has broke 2 though but he crashes a lot and is crazy on 3s haha. I want to see how the proline pro2 bulkhead holds up before I buy that pretty bright STRC silver bulkhead I got my eye on.

I think the proline brace should help preserve my plastic bulkhead. However adding weight to the front where the bulkhead resides is about perfect so that is reason alone to get one....assuming you need to add weight up front like most 2wd slashes need anyway. I'll probably do that before too long but I told myself I would go plastic wherever I possibly could and feel safe about it. I did a lot of alum on my last slash (1.5+ years ago) and ended up taking half of it off again. I learned my lesson already

As far as the bumpers go the rpm stuff is much heavier duty but this has a lot more flex. you can totally bend them...because they are thinner plastic though. we'll see how that pans out. I have rpm rear bumper/mount/flaps kit but it doesn't bolt up to the proline tranny. the pro2 bumper is the only one that will work with it unfortunately...at least to my knowledge that is the case. I tried installing the rpm and its not jiving at all. Then I got the front pro2 for the bulkhead combo, I think it looks rad too. slick

Im still going to get the ten shock motor and a nice radio sooner than later. I am building a cheaper slash 2wd and will use the radio/motor from this. I want to get the anza alum rear carriers or maybe the latest integy just because they have more shock mounting locations and seem to be longer like the protrac rear carriers which I think may help retain proper suspension geometry. I have hot racing front and rear towers in black alum but didn't install them because they aren't wide enough

Quote Originally Posted by 1911kevin View Post
    Holy moly, what a build. If you wanna dump money into a slash, this is the way it should be done, an all out basher. Looks killer man, those shocks are just boss. Glad to see a slash build with the origianl chassis, stayin true to its roots! Love it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks bro
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 08-02-2013 at 08:10 AM.

RC Qualifier
    i took these pics/video bashing my old slash...the 1st one I bought. Ive had 4wd, and few 2wds...my nephews got 2wd xl5's but we all upgraded to vxl or better now too

this jump in slow-motion:

Last edited by RallySoob; 02-13-2013 at 02:44 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I got 4 bodies for this build now lol. 2 raptor SVT flotek by proline and also a proline Ford Focus rally car body in the mail. I just ordered a stock 4x4 platinum body too that is pre-cut and clear. I want to paint it funky color like gold or crazy orange

RC Qualifier
    the "Black" Mamba got a white body 1st lol. Black to follow

I just noticed I missed a rear deck vent hole, ooops...so Im going to dremmel that now :/

and with the bajr body

RC Qualifier
    got it

RC Qualifier
    all the vents are super easy to do once you get the hang of it. For me and my $15 chicago crap ebay special rotary tool I needed this drill bit to do it all. I would run the side of the ball tip like an engraving tool but use it to pass all the way through. Cutting a line around until it meets again thus effectively cutting the window/vent out completely. Then use sanding bits to fine tune the straight lines

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by thedreadedend View Post
    This is all coming together nice! You say your a jumper.... me too! Here's the set up that gets it done for me,
    I tend to hit a jump over in over, it seems I cant tear myself away from an awesome jump!

I learned alot on that particular jump lol, alloy shock caps for the losi's, needed bigger stronger links (thedreaded slayer links were used from then on), also found that the proline chassis saver is a must. I split many chassis in a few weeks but the saver put a stop to it. Also, you may want a alloy bulkhead. The screws will forever strip out of a stock bulk on a basher slash!
    Im anxious to see you lid finished, truck in full order, its gonna be a beauty! Im also interested in reading about your f/r bumpers, how they do with a basher. I love the old f/r skids and front bumper from proline.
    The pix above are from a few vids I made, also did a build thread on the truck, thedreadedend's slash mt xl.
    Anymore pics of the wheels ? What size are they and brand ?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JDenham View Post
    Anymore pics of the wheels ? What size are they and brand ?
    These are some custom cut tires (2.8 trenchers) on a trimmed rim (3.2) ofna mt3 splits. Hers a thread on how I did it
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...res-made-easy.

I cut them to get a low profile/huge rim combo .....cut out the sidewalls, reduce roll and ballooning, increase performance.

The combo's above are the same size as intended 2.8 tire/wheel sets but improved ability and look trick!
    Last edited by thedreadedend; 02-17-2013 at 05:17 PM.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by thedreadedend View Post
    These are some custom cut tires (2.8 trenchers) on a trimmed rim (3.2) ofna mt3 splits. Hers a thread on how I did it
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...res-made-easy.

I cut them to get a low profile/huge rim combo .....cut out the sidewalls, reduce roll and ballooning, increase performance.

The combo's above are the same size as intended 2.8 tire/wheel sets but improved ability and look trick!

That's pretty sick man

RC Qualifier
    stretching the tires looks great. I saw some 2.8's stretched over 2.2 rims on a slash and it looked sooo nice. Like low profile monster truck tires you got going but smaller to fit the slash size a little better where 3.2's look like a stampede wheel imo

RC Qualifier
    now thats black

I will be done today!

RC Qualifier

Looks awesome!

RC Qualifier
    Thanks!

I got batteries woohoo

And I painted up a pro-line Ford Focus body with a ebay Ken block #43 decal kit that was from a China Seller. Shipping was fast though ...both time. Like less than week to Oregon

2 more 2pics of the Raptors

I've never seen a venom battery like that

RC Qualifier
    Around how much did this cost!? I sort of want to do something like this to my 2wd Slash so I can have a chance racing agains my frinds 4wd.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    It costs more than I want to know... So Im not addind it up sorry :/ I could of bought something way beter but this is personalized so I prefer it

I made another body... 4x4 platinum body painted using pactra true blue pearl, spazstix orange pinstripe and pactra flourecent green on bottom, all with indy silver back except for the chrome bed and black back

I may do these carbon flames, not sure yet. This is sample I hand cut out of carbon vinyl sheet and duplicated for the other side of the car

RC Qualifier
    hooned out my other rigs

RC Qualifier
    should I keep the carbon flame on the green truck or ditch them? ..or I can add more too...

RC Qualifier
    I'm going give the white raptor body to my nephew that I painted a proline raptor for and the rear clip location caused the body to break the rear area out to the point you couldnt mount it. I have heard other proline raptors have done the same thing. They didnt think out the rear mounting locations. Like this new flotek raptor is perfect , it has big flat area where the rear post goes. I like these flotek bodies a lot... I want the Tundra and Silverado flo-tek bodies and maybe another bajr ...and one more ford focus body haha... then Im done ...for a while . I love painting bodies more than driving them I swear

RC Qualifier
    I keep getting emails, PM's and whatnot about how much I have invested into this build. I have not added it up and do not ever plan too. I would rather not know but if you must then add up the costs yourself? I mean, every part is listed. But whatever you do keep it to yourself please

I like the way you think,start worrying about every dollar,And your not going to end up with something as fine as your build.
    And imo,it's one of the nicest I have ever seen,body's on,and off. Both look sweet.
    And it is still a slash chassis,impressive.
    I keep getting emails, PM's and whatnot about how much I have invested into this build. I have not added it up and do not ever plan too. I would rather not know but if you must then add up the costs yourself? I mean, every part is listed. But whatever you do keep it to yourself please

RC Qualifier
    Thanks. The slash was the first truck I really fell in love with. And I did that before I ever got to drive one.

I used to build RC10 kits when I was 12 so I attempted to rebuild my nephew's slash after the neghbor kid took it apart all the way day to the tranny being in parts. It was a full assemby with no previous knowledge so I used the blow up diagrams on the traxxas website. It still runs great to this day haha. But after we drove it...and BASHED it...I was hooked. major SCT bug. Its the rc truck we never had when we were kids

I went to the RC shop today and saw the Traxxas QR1 there and remember seeing videos of it on youtube thinking that I would get one some day. It was impulse buy but I am glad I did it. This thing is soooo fun. It makes hair pin turns on a dime and it hauls balls. I love it. Way better than any heli I ever owned but I only had co-axial types. Quadcopters are so awesome with their speed, stability and maneuverability.

Last edited by RallySoob; 03-01-2013 at 12:43 AM.

Now look what you went and made me do,lol.They didn't have the traxxas one,but after some research,this one is just as good,just a touch bigger. I'm a first time flyer,and could still fly it a bit in my motor home bed room.
    But thought I need more room,before I break it.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]