RC Enthusiast

Another orange one

Hi been lurking here for awhile and learning a lot form some of you guys. Thanks for that! I have an orange rally a 2wd slash running Momba monster with 5700 kv a axial crawler and a couple of boats. My step son also has a 2wd slash brushed (soon to be new sv3 setup) and a crawler.. My 3 girls aren't as interrested in rc stuff but from time to time they do ask to drive.. Keeping finguers crossed that I could rope them in.... Ill say that after owning my slash for like 4-5 years getting this rally is like WOW. I'm totally loving this thing!! Even on the 7cell NiMH it's just to fun... But I have made the lipo jump and can't wait for them to come in. I ordered 3 of spc's 6500mah 2s 50c. Sure hope they'll fit and work with no problems....

I've already added the aluminum slipper adapter thingy and got some elcheapo' eBay aluminum c-hubs and steering blocks, installed lastnight. Seems a bit sloppy just like the plastic ones. I thought the aluminum would have taken up some of the steering slop but guess not or maybe the cheap ones are just cheap. Might try to add some nylon washers and see if that helps.. Also had to adjust the end points on my spectrum because at full lock the front axles were binding from the farther steering angle... Mip's may be in the future to get more steering angle.... Anyone have any idea on what wheels and tires I could use to have some drifting fun with this beast?

Ill try to upload some pics but I'm on my phone at work so may have to wait till I get home. Incase your interrested to see them now you could hit me up on FB or Instagram even have a YouTube channel with a couple small video Terry Duplessis (FB) BLACKCAT1478 (IG) blackcatnastang (YouTube).

RC Champion
    Welcome to the forums. I have the black & red Rally, which is scientifically proven to be 8% faster.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Enthusiast

eBay parts..

RC Enthusiast
    Here's a small video I made of a bash session with my rally hope you enjoy...

http://youtu.be/sW7JB0-1nnc

RC Champion
    I noticed a small spot of dirt on it. You might want to take care of that.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

Quote Originally Posted by zippogeek View Post
    I noticed a small spot of dirt on it. You might want to take care of that.

Ooh
    I see it too!

Nice video
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Competitor
    Looking great...It looks like your interior might need a dusting, too! ;-)

Really nice video...I think you'll really enjoy lipo power and run-times.

RC Enthusiast
    Lol. Yea think I left a window down on that run..... But that's what I love about Traxxas just wash it off with the hose and clean as new !!!

RC Enthusiast
    Well another parts hall came in today !!!!

Had a little down time at work tonight so got to tinker a bit !!! Thanks to pavmentsurfer for the idea on the lights!! (I've got head and tail lights on the way also.) anyway a few pics of the installed parts... TBone front bumper, HR sway bar kit, HR motor mount, traxxas stampede 4x4 light kit.

Can't wait to get home and run this thing in the dark on the new lipos.....

RC Champion
    Night time is probably not the best time to try out the Lipos lol

Have fun either way!
    Everything overpowered...

RC Enthusiast
    Update coming soon. Tracking number says led headlights and taillights came in today! Can't wait to get off work to wire it up. I do have a question for some of you more experienced guys. Since I installed the aluminum steering stuff sometimes at full lock the steering seems to get hung up. I'm thinking the half shafts are binding but don't know if the cvd's or mip's would totally be the best fix or if that would be more of a baidaid... Guess what I'm wanting to know is are you guys that run the Traxxas aluminum or STRC parts experiencing this problem? Should I buy better aluminum parts or try to see if the mip/cvd would be the fix? Thanks for any input....

RC Enthusiast
    Update.... Well when the lights came in the other day I tried hooking them up with the remote on off switch and guess I did something wrong as it ended up burning 6 out of 8 of the LED's... Took a trip to local RadioShack and picked up 4 new LED's for the stampede fog light kit and 2 red ones for the taillights.... Took me a couple days to find the time to working it but finaly finished lastnight. I decided to forget about the remote switch untill i can figure out how it supposed to be hooked up (think I'll need to add a BEC??) and just hooked it back into the receiver with the disconnect cable. I did get a short video of it........ I will say that filming and driving at the sametime at night is a bit of a challenge. lol. Enjoy the video. Ill try to get some pics up soon....

http://youtu.be/XT9PrJPl0Ss

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    It's coming along nice man. I really dig the Pede 4x4 bucket light kit on there. I have the same HR sway bar kit.

BTW you picked the best Rally kit (ORANGE).

How do you like the SPC 6500 50c packs? Also what brand c-blocks and carriers are those?
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Enthusiast
    So far I'm really loving the SPC packs. I bought 3 of the 6500's. lol. They are my first lipo battery's so I don't have/know anything else to compare them to other then my old 7cell NiMH 5000mah. With the NiMH I was getting maybe between 15-20 playtime with the last 5 being just to drain them as far as I wanted... The lipos. So far I've been able to run for longer then I have time to play. Another words I ran one pack for a good 30mins and I had to leave so brought it in. When I returned went ahead an charged the pack only was down to 3.8v p/c and took right at 4000mah to bring back to full charge.... Hopefully sometime in the next week or so ill get some time where I can give them a good run and see just how long they will last....

And yea I think the orange is by far the fastest!!!

The C-blocks and carriers I got off eBay they didn't have a "name" so not real sure.... I'm sure they are knockoffs but I only paid like $33 for all of it!! Didn't think I'd actually win the bid as I wasn't welling to pay more then 35 for them. They seem to be ok still a little sloppy in the steering about as much as the stock plastic pieces, I thought that the aluminum would help with that but guess not??? I was thinking about trying to fine some small nylon washers and see if that would help but right now I'm battling a steering lockup. Only happens every now and then when at full lock it won't steer back for a couple secs... Thinking I have to much steering throw now and the stock shafts are binding.. So saving my pennies for something better in the shaft dept. lol

RC Champion
    Nylon washers can make a huge difference. Would definitely be something to give a try.
    Everything overpowered...

Great man. I need to pick up some more packs in the future. My highest 2 cell pack being a 5800 60c. Really long enough runtime for what I do back to back packs. I do need a couple of 3 cells in the future though.

Quote Originally Posted by BLACKCAT 1478 View Post
    When I returned went ahead an charged the pack only was down to 3.8v p/c and took right at 4000mah to bring back to full charge.... Hopefully sometime in the next week or so ill get some time where I can give them a good run and see just how long they will last....
    Not sure if you know this since this is your first time in Lipo. You don't want to keep the packs fully charged for more than a day (24hrs). They need to be left on a sitting voltage of 3.7-3.8vpc (storage). Just thought I'd let ya know that if you didnt know already.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede;
    Not sure if you know this since this is your first time in Lipo. You don't want to keep the packs fully charged for more than a day ([U
    24hrs[/U]). They need to be left on a sitting voltage of 3.7-3.8vpc (storage). Just thought I'd let ya know that if you didnt know already.
    No I didn't know that. I got that ac680 charger so could I set it to storage and it will discharge them to where they need to be or should I run them down then charge them on storage? And thanks for your help on this as I'm a total noob with these things... Me and my son did some running yesterday on NiMH we are pretty much what and what with our slashes. But when one or the other would run a lipo the power difference is mind blowing!!!! Don't think ill ever buy another NiMH pack !!!

I make my life simple and run them to storage of about 3.7-3.8vpc. I've never used a Storage mode on a charger. From what I read you have to run the packs below that and put the charger in the Storage setting and it will charge them up to that point. You will probably need to DL the manual and read up on how it works on that charger specifically.

It would be handy to pick up a Lipo Checker or LVA to check the packs. I run one with all my trucks as extra insurance. They are around $5 shipped on eBay.

Another thing you can use is time. If you run that pack for 30 minutes and it was at 3.8vpc thats a good gauge to use for all your runs. It's not totally perfect but something that can be used.

It took me a little while to get into Lipo. When I did it was totally jaw dropping. After moving up I never looked back to Nimh. The best thing you can do is take care of them. Here are a couple pointers. Never overcharge 4.2vpc, or discharge below 3.0vpc (I stop at 3.5vpc), and don't keep them fully charged for anytime longer than 24hrs. These are good habits to keeping healthy packs and them from puffing or swelling.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Enthusiast
    Ok thanks for all your help man!!!
    Do you have any recommendations on an lipo checker that I could leave on the car?
    Last edited by BLACKCAT 1478; 02-28-2013 at 03:23 PM.

This is the one I purchased.

► ► Low Voltage Alarm/ Buzzer ◄ ◄

...or pick your poison....
    ► ► Low Voltage Alarm/ Buzzer ◄ ◄
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Enthusiast
    And you leave it on the rc or just plug in and check every so often? Sorry for all the questions.

Yeah I leave it on the RC while I'm running it. You can change the setting on it to buzz at whatever voltage. When you get done unplug it. It pulls very low but over time it can drain the pack.

I mount my LVA with Velcro. I mount one side on the Lipo and the other on the alarm. Our whatever works for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Can you post I picture of he you keep it installed while driving. I do have a lipo checker. Not one that would stay attached while driving though. Mine also does not have an alarm either. Sounds interesting.

I thought I had some pics of the LVA in the Slash 4x4, Pede 4x4 or Rally. Since these trucks use a crossbar to hold the pack down you can mount the other side of the velcro on it, to the front hold down, or side of the pack. Get creative for what works best for you. Since moving to the TQi I use the voltage tap and monitor the voltage status from the iPod. You can set whatever voltage you want it to bleep at you and also has a little red flashing light by the voltage on the Dashboard on the Traxxas Link App. I have checked the voltage vs the checker and its spot on. I still hook it up once in a while during runs just to be sure. Kinda like a 3 way insurance (which isnt needed). LOL I also have a shroud if the checker was to come loose it will contain it.

Here is how I have it mounted to a 2S Lipo for my Pede.

Velcro on the LVA and one side of the pack.

I use the LVA/Buzzer/Checker on my Slash 2wd and it has a crossbar to hold the pack down. I use an STRC battery hold down which is a single bar from front to back and the 2S packs I use all have velcro on one side that I attach it to. I use a shroud with this truck to. Since I do crazy stuff with this truck and bash it on ramps and such. The LVA will come loose of the velcro. Luckily the shroud has saved them from being lost in the grass. I've also attached them to the hold down with tie straps to contain them better when I do a ton of jumps.

If you are going to drive the car mainly on road I doubt you'll have to worry about it going anywhere. Just thougth i'd pass that info along.

Hope this helps ya.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Enthusiast
    Haven't really done any more to the rally other then just running it a few times... Been busy with work and honeydo's. but on a good note had some dirt finally show up and we've got a start on the short course track... Enjoy a few teaser shots. Hope to get it in shape within the next couple of weeks....

Nice one mate...looking good .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Enthusiast
    Almost done with the track !!!!

Sadly we might be getting 2 days of rain now. man sure hoping it holds together and don't wash out to bad... Finguers crossed....
    Also made a trip to the LHS today and got RMP front and rear bumpers and body mounts some other wheels and tires to try and a new Proline f150 raptor body. Gonna run the rally as a truck on the track and leave the rally setup for more onroad antics. Since adding the lights I just can't bring myself to tear up the body on the track....

Track looks nice man!! What does the wife and neighbors think?? Might bring some locals into RC like that.

Man I hope the rain doesnt do a number to it. Keep it packed and where the low spots are use PVC pipe or open up the barrier to let it drain out. That would help it better than nothing.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    NICE TRACK!!!! I'm jealous.....I hate living in the city!!!!

AB
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks guys !!! The wife she don't care outside is my place inside is hers!! Lol and I don't care what the neighbors think... Na. Most of them come out to watch us brake stuff and we've been here for almost 9 years and this is the 2nd rc track I've done also had a mini dirt bike track once.... So far it seems to be holding together although another load of topsoil may be camping soon. The clay just seems to keep cracking up???

RC Enthusiast
    Not ready to show off the "RASH" conversion just yet but it's coming along. I went with RPM front and rear bumpers and body mounts, JConcepts Illuzion raptor body and the chrome and black slash wheels with the Kumo tires. Also working on a LED system for some night time fun !! Today before work I spent a few mins giving the new track a test run with my slash, here is a short video I put up of it.... Enjoy. http://youtu.be/O3IatMlllKo

RC Enthusiast
    Well got the "RASH" conversion done and we also added more dirt to the track. 27 yards total so far and it's starting to shape up nicely.... The LED kit I added to the body didn't hold up to well to the bash sessions we were having and it definitely didn't like playing in the mudd and water... Have I said how much I love the stock traxxas brushless being waterproof?!! And even thou it would only take a couple mins to go back to the rally body I have so much fun with the truck body on it!!! The added ground clarence is so nice to have on the track right now. Hopefully one day when we get it all smoothed and flowing better I could go back to the rally body.... For now enjoy another video of a buddy and I running around the track... There are a few pics at the end of the video the "RASH" is the silver one........ http://youtu.be/TLP2vrJm71o