Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by TQi View Post
    yeah the gyro can be very sensitive, you have to tone it down for more speed otherwise that will happen.

I really have no idea on the top speed, definitely above 70mph for sure, I wouldn't be surprised if I hit 90

time will tell, these gps units are taking forever to come in stock
    Did you ever take a look at the speed calculator? That 2400 simply doesn't make enough RPM to get you far above 50mph with stock tires. To go real fast you need a higher Kv motor.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I've realized, I'm not sure which motor to use now because I don't want to break it in the first test run.. Might have to give up on going for a high top speed, unless I can find a good motor with a 3mm pinion shaft that will fit.

Could try the stock motor lol that would be fun but it's 2 pole
    What's a coffee if it aint Irish

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    You could try the castle 3800... The stock motor is only 4000kv but is 380 size. The castle 3800 is only 200kv less, 4 pole so it can handle big gearing and 550 size so it won't get over hot overly fast. It will also fit better.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    You could try the castle 3800... The stock motor is only 4000kv but is 380 size. The castle 3800 is only 200kv less, 4 pole so it can handle big gearing and 550 size so it won't get over hot overly fast. It will also fit better.
    Only problem there is the 3800 is known to be an amp hog and very hard on batteries. It will be very hard to find batteries that fit int he platform that will be able to keep the 3800 properly fed.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    I mean they will work....for a few minutes.
    Everything overpowered...

RC Qualifier
    would the spc 2500mahs keep it satisfied in series? 4s

I'd have to get 5mm pinion

First 3800 motors came with 3mm shafts. I doubt that the 3800 will be able to unleash all its power in a light car like the 1/16 platform. When you push it hard enough, it can consume peaks quite above the 100A. I would prefer using the 3800 on 2S and have more amps available from the batteries over trying it on 4S.
    If you are looking for considerably more speed than the stock car, I would go for a higher Kv rate than the 3800.

RC Champion
    Or run 2s in parallel maybe??

Quote Originally Posted by QYKSLVR View Post
    Or run 2s in parallel maybe??
    Yeah, that is what I meant with using on 2S. My 2 SPC 2S 30C 2500mAhs in parallel can easily provide that amount of amps. A single 2500mAh 50C should even be enough. I have seen the 3800 consume 125A on 3S in my Bandit, but in a lighter car it won't come that far.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    Yeah, that is what I meant with using on 2S. My 2 SPC 2S 30C 2500mAhs in parallel can easily provide that amount of amps. A single 2500mAh 50C should even be enough. I have seen the 3800 consume 125A on 3S in my Bandit, but in a lighter car it won't come that far.
    I have the SPC 50c 2500mah Lipos, they say 50c but I'm not sure if they're a true 50c

Anyway so they should work in series (4s)? Or would 45/45 gearing be unsafe for a few quick passes?

This build's falling apart for now though, I cancelled my back order on the GPS and expander module yesterday because they pushed the GPS unit release date back again to late March and they'll probably push it back some more. It's been three times now that the stock status has been pushed back. I'll probably just make it into a simple drift car for now and wait for those GPS units to actually come to my nearest hobby shop

... I have just the right motor in mind for when I'm ready to break things
    Last edited by TQi; 03-19-2013 at 08:48 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Ive run the 1406 4600kv motor on 2S in parallel and it was so fast the car was uncontrollable. while I dont disagree that the 3800 is going to be an amp hog, I see no reason it would be any harder on batteries than an over geared 2400.

If you did go with the 3800 I would suggest going with 2 SPC 3S packs in parallel. That setup is capable of being WAY faster than you can drive it. You COULD also go with the 4600kv on 3S in parallel. Not sure how it would do in terms of heat. But I dont think it would be bad in a light car like the MERV. Either way, I can guarantee you that you NEED to run packs in parallel to get the full effect. I was running my 4600kv powered MERV on a single 2S pack, I then tried a single 3S pack and was impressed. Then I tried 2X 2S packs in parallel (not series) and the extra amps on tap made the car almost as fast a single 3S pack. The system just couldnt get enough amps from that one 2S. Mind you, these were the older, lower rated SPC packs. The new 50c packs may be different.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Holy is all I got to say.. Oh man. its like sticking a V10 ina pinto.... Awesome!! Pure man-ness

That castle 2400 is a MONSTER in a Pede 2wd... Makes it do back flips and all..... In the Rally. ha! fantastic!
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 03-19-2013 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Language
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

It all sounds a sort of cool to put such a powerful motor in such a small car. I stick to my opinion that it is useless due to the low Kv ratio of the 2400. Even a stock car will have a higher top speed than one with the 2400 and a 1/1 spur/pinion ratio.

The only thing that you probably will accomplish is a ruined drive line due to the crazy torque of the motor.

RC Qualifier
    probably just burn the rubber off the tires quicker but yeah it doesn't look good for the 2400kv motor, probably going to save it for when I get a Bandit

I'll use the 3800 on 2s

looks like the dream is lost lol

the ridiculous build is not so ridiculous now

Quote Originally Posted by TQi View Post
    probably just burn the rubber off the tires quicker but yeah it doesn't look good for the 2400kv motor, probably going to save it for when I get a Bandit

I'll use the 3800 on 2s

looks like the dream is lost lol

the ridiculous build is not so ridiculous now
    Lol. You still got a ridiculous mount of power in your car. Maybe you could try a double standing backflip
    Erm... don't take that serious.

RC Qualifier
    lol double standing backflip rally.

Can't do anything until this snow melts, it keeps coming back when I can almost see the pavement

RC Champion
    I know what you mean! the 20th was first day of Spring, at it snow for cryin out loud!

I'd say get that Bandit, put the 2400 in the rear, get some paddles and go!

RC Qualifier
    hahah Yeah well I'll get a bandit A.S.A.P. if I can't get this rally to go at least 70mph, that should satisfy my need for speed

theoretically it will go 65mph with what I have right now and 85mph if I get a 45t pinion for the 3800 but I'll see if I can rig it up for a speed run sometime within the week and get a real reading with 35/45 on the 3800 with 4s.

Probably hit 70mph if I don't crash because I didn't add a balloon radius, and that calculator is off sometimes.. Stay tuned

RC Qualifier
    Well I took the time I had yesterday to finally put everything together and today I did some final touch ups to get it ready for a speed run later.. Charging the batteries fully right now, I just have to test the range later before I do a speed run (I'm still not sure if my severed antenna will put out full range).

Here's how it turned out

I know it doesn't look too pretty but it packs the punches in bunches and it's all covered by a beautiful shell

Oh the ESC power switch is stuck in the middle of the rear body posts so I can flick it on and off without removing the body.

Only problem now is the lack of room for my phone and getting a GPS reading, I'm going to have to duct tape it awkwardly... Also those traxxas GPS modules are still not in stock...
    Last edited by TQi; 03-25-2013 at 01:56 PM.

RC Qualifier
    K range is good enough from what I can tell in my little street, the gyro is set for speed (minimum sensitivity), and now I just need to find a long smooth road before it gets dark.

I found very quickly that even with the gyro, the car is very unstable when it hits about 50mph, the wheels are so tiny and smooth that there is no grip and the smallest rock or bump can send it flying.. I flipped it into a snow bank already and got the electronics a little wet but they're fine. Even though, I think this is going to end with me having to buy a new phone (and some RC parts) when I crash trying to use the speedometer app

I think I might wait until the street sweepers come by just to have a bit of a chance of not breaking anything.

Also I think I'll get some different shocks all together, these ones are bashed out of shape from when I had it in slash form, and they're way to stiff for what I'm doing with it now.
    Last edited by TQi; 03-25-2013 at 03:37 PM.

RC Champion
    Love the Kawi body, cant wait for mine

RC Qualifier
    Oh you should see the body now, not so pretty lol a little scratched up on the roof from sliding like 50 feet

alright so I went for a speed test and recorded it all but I'm not gunna bother editing because it was a waste of time.

I couldn't get the trigger past half throttle without spinning out and every time I hit the center of the road I'd spin out because of the dirt build-up from winter. GPS read 52mph which is good because when I hit that same road in the summer I should be able to blast full throttle no problem, (HOT WEATHER = a little more grip and a CLEAN ROAD= a lot more space to utilize)

the only thing I like about these tires is the fact that they don't allow the car to flip over lol it just spins out a bunch unless you hit a curb, which I have 3 times so far during the spin outs, that's the only time the body gets scratched.

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    Did you ever get a good speed run out of this ridiculous car? I just got a fiesta and have been reading through old threads since I've never perused this section of the forums. Crazy build, man!!

FLM BL E-Maxx - BL Slash - BL 4Tec - Wraith - SCX-10 - Custom Axial 6WD - Custom Losi micro Monster Truck - Losi Micro-T Hummer - Custom Losi Micro Peterbilt Crawler - More to come!!
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Qualifier
    That thing's CG looks really high. I love the wheel combined with the Kawasaki shell.
    And there he goes with the carbon...

RC Competitor
    not sure the esc is going to help your cars CG it may make it higher. but how has it worked for you?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12