Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Cool A Ridiculous Must See Build!

Hahah, I'm a little over excited but this thing is going to be FUN once it's complete!

I ordered the 2400kv castle motor a while ago, taken from a Traxxas "funny car" and I didn't check the specs so I thought it would be good enough for my summit, long story short it fits on the minis, just get a big block mount and you're good to go.

other than that, this things going to be tricked out with a gyro and the traxxas telemetry expander, gps module and the heat/votage meters. going to be running two 2s 50c 2500mah lipos in series! which I don't think the motor is rated for but it should be able to handle it. Just waiting on the telemetry expander, gps module, and the heat/voltage sensor from tower (they will be stocked and sending it soon). Also only have a 31t pinion so I'll be getting the largest one I can find, even running parallel 2s this thing should rock and roll!

So here's what the motor looks like bolted on

Extra little stuff that just came in

Then Baboom! it's gunna look something scary like this when I'm done.. only more wires and mess

Thinking double sided sticky tape on the servo and motor mount to hold the esc, DS sticky tape for the gyro, and DS sticky tape for the rx/rx expander, and gps unit. It's gunna be ridiculous

Here's where the build started but the title wasn't doing it any justice

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...t=1%2F16+build

I'll put more pics up A.S.A.P., really just waiting on the release of this gps module to put everything together. Oh, have to go pick up an iPod as well.
    What's a coffee if it aint Irish

RC Qualifier
    I see broken parts in your near future that thing should fly lol
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC Champion
    Kid + candy shop.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Batteries ain't going to cut it!
    Those batteries are good for the stock motor's 50a max draw you need two 5000 50c minimum!
    Last edited by 50togo; 02-12-2013 at 02:34 PM.

RC Racer
    nice, that car will be wicked fast

RC Champion
    50togo, 5000 @ 50c.. is good for 250 amps. That motor will NOT be pulling that kind of power! He is using 2500 @ 50c meaning 125amps, which is more than the motor will draw. He should be just fine!

This project is wicked TQi, that thing is stuffed with madness now!

RC Qualifier
    Oh nice, thanks for clearing that up Krall, lol I was almost crushed when I read the batteries won't cut it

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Have you tested any battery that fits in the merv. None of them.will pull 125amps
    I have done testing and there is no way. All of the merv batteries are overrated with my neu motor I would get voltage drop down below 3.2v with a small block. If I put those in my 2200 they would not perform
    Contact tom at spc ask him what he thinks
    Last edited by 50togo; 02-12-2013 at 03:46 PM.

RC Champion
    I assumed the batteries he already has... fit in his car? Sorry I must be missing something

Point is, after searching for specs on that motor quickly, I couldn't find what it wants as far as power. But my 2100kv motor wants 120amps MAX and my 2350 wants 126amps MAX. There's no way that motor will ever required that much power from a little 1/16! That's why I suggest his current batteries are more than adequate. Even if they couldn't provide the power the motor wanted, they would still work - just not have as much of a lifespan.

Trying to be informing, not condescending or anything! =)

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Don't worry I have been there and done that. With my 2200 in my erbe and the 5400 50c I get voltage drop to 3.7 and that's at just over 100 amps
    I would not torture my merv batteries by running them in my erbe or embe and I don't think you would either
    The 5400 are more then twice as strong as the 2500 50c

RC Qualifier
    Hold up I may be wrong but I think you're mistaking this motor for something a little bigger than it really is..

that's a 3800kv castle motor on the left, the one that comes with the SCT MMP ESC.

it's the same width just about a third longer is all (2400kv)

Last edited by TQi; 02-12-2013 at 04:53 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    That thing is pure win all day long. Wow!! You have to post a vid when it's done.

I wish I knew what 50 and Krallopian were talking about. It's like another language to me. lol. I'm glad you guys use your powers for good. haha.

RC Champion
    Haha Gabes

The longer the motor, the stronger the magnet meaning the more torque you generally generate. I wish I could find specs on that motor!!!

RC Qualifier
    hahah yeah the magnet does seem pretty strong.

I'm pretty certain it's just a castle 2400kv (the one that comes with the SCT edition ESC) with a blue finish, it says it can handle 4s but isn't recommended, reads 5s max on the motor though..

everything adds up the same, except the blue Traxxas finish also has the regular 3.5mm bullet connectors that are always used, instead of 4mm.. already have adapters for that though.
    Last edited by TQi; 02-12-2013 at 10:07 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That's only 44,400 rpm on 5s. It should handle that probably the esc can't handle it

If you want a strong magnet try turning over a neu 1112 1/y. Can barely do it without a pinion

RC Qualifier
    That motor can pull 2,000 watts. So if you are running 14.4 volts in series you're looking at 138 amps constant, not burst. That's some serious drain, I would not trust a 1/16 LiPo to handle it. You should ask Tom @ SPC like 50 said.

Very high quality 3s in parallel might do the trick.

RC Qualifier
    that's what I was thinking, go 3s parallel but as long as the 2 batteries don't blow up, I'll be running them into the dirt regardless first

I just ordered a castle cap pack to help a little.. would putting two castle caps on make a difference?

I dont think you need a cap pack. The servo in a light car like the 1/16 wont use that much current.
    Not that the motor can be pushed to its maximum in the car, you still need some powerfull batteries to get it alive.

I see a ruined drivetrain in the nearby future...
    Nobody is born with experience.

RC Qualifier
    I was told the capacitor pack reduces stress between the batteries and ESC, and an external BEC is for more powerful servos?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That is true I think Peter mixed them up

Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    That is true I think Peter mixed them up
    I most certainly did. I was thinking you meant a glitch buster. The cap pack works on the battery end of the esc, the others on the receiver end.
    Sorry for the confusion.

RC Racer
    Isnt a stock merv on 3s wicked enough?!?!? Lol only had mine for a about a week but run 2s 2200 lipos paired and 2 3s1500 paired, 2s is fun, 3s is ridiculous... Then i read stuff like this or 50s SMH...

Mine is a bit heavy due to all the alu, so I REALLY need 4S every now and then

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I hear that with all my aluminum I needed a neu 1112 to help keep up with my stock merv with a neu 1110. Its so much lighter probably still quicker

RC Qualifier
    I just ordered a 45 tooth pinion and some more little bits of bling lol should definitely break a few things on the first speed run.

I'm curious how fast it will go.. I have a feeling the pinion isn't going to fit very well it is 48 pitch though

RC Champion
    45 tooth holy crap!!

That will peel the tires apart! Maybe..

A CAP or a GLITCH BUSTER is the same thing. One is just singular, the other is a group of'm. You can put them wherever you like, but the effect is the same.

If you put the cap at the receiver, it gets charged by the ESC just the same as it would if it were before the receiver.

A BEC however just allows a set output power, from another battery source removing the ESC from the equation.

For what it's worth as well, I needed a cap on my 1/16 for my Spektrum S6030, it would shut the system down if I didn't have one.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah 45 on 45 hahah something's gunna blow up

I'll just put the capacitor on how this shows and hope for the best lol

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i would start off with around 32/45 and see how that goes. the cap might help with the initial hit when you open up the throttle

Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    A CAP or a GLITCH BUSTER is the same thing. One is just singular, the other is a group of'm. You can put them wherever you like, but the effect is the same.

If you put the cap at the receiver, it gets charged by the ESC just the same as it would if it were before the receiver.

A BEC however just allows a set output power, from another battery source removing the ESC from the equation.

For what it's worth as well, I needed a cap on my 1/16 for my Spektrum S6030, it would shut the system down if I didn't have one.
    The effect is the same, but depending on where you put it, it solves different problems. The CC Cap Pack helps when the battery can't keep up and a Glitch Buster helps in cases where the ESC BEC can't keep up. An external beck solves the second case, not the first one.

RC Champion
    Ah, very clear point! I forgot that the motor takes power from a source different than the BEC, so I was thinking "put it after the battery, and the bec will be affected just the same as the motor" but .. yeah, DUH. Geez Thanks Peter! =)

Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    Ah, very clear point! I forgot that the motor takes power from a source different than the BEC, so I was thinking "put it after the battery, and the bec will be affected just the same as the motor" but .. yeah, DUH. Geez Thanks Peter! =)
    Most welcome. I am far from a guru in electronics, but I thought it was good to clear this one up. It all started after my own mistake. Lol.

RC Qualifier
    good stuff Peter

Ahh bad news for me.. Tower said early Feb. for the gps and telemetry expander the first time I checked, now they say early March, so I won't be doing anything with this build until about the end of March that's probably when I'll actually receive the order in zee mail.. bright side is some snow will melt by then and I'm not going to bother waterproofing this build so kinda works out.

RC Qualifier
    Use this tape for securing ESCs. Very useful.http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...BC31gv%29&rt=d
    And there he goes with the carbon...

RC Qualifier
    I just got a bunch of those little Traxxas double sided tapes

RC Qualifier
    Little update: Still waiting on the gps unit, expander module, and the other sensor wire but I did a few things today..

1. Soldered the CAP pack on the MMP
    2. Made a backboard mount for it, more space and works a lot better this way
    3. Cut the battery doors for the SPC lipos to fit
    4. Got a 45 tooth spur and slipper pad put on
    5. Had the 45 tooth pinion on the motor (lol they look the same)
    6. Broke the servo horn screw trying to reem out an aluminum hitec horn but I got it in, and it's snug, and it's purple
    7. The most important and lengthy procedure was shimming the gearbox/transmission in a way, to handle the torque. I fit a shim under each bearing since I couldn't find any the right size to fit on top, same thing just a little different.

If anyone is having problems stripping gears in the tranny, should try this or find smaller shims to fit on top of the bearings. It takes a few trys to get it just right, sort of like shimming the diffs. I've had the center gear strip and a few different bearings blow before and that was with the stock motor so this better help

RC Qualifier
    holy cow that's one crazy build. that thing will fly!
    "That don't make NO sense!"

RC Champion
    tire height will be a limiting factor...it would be faster with taller tires.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    for sure, if I'm not happy with the speed, I'll be upping it.. Smaller tires are easier on the diffs and drive-shafts though so that's a plus

RC Champion
    Any idea of an estimate on what the top speed will be yet?

I'm going for top speed with my Merv,and was advised against a gyro.
    I was told that if you start to get any wheel hop..that the gyro will go crazy trying to over correct it and cause you to spin out or flip the car.
    I may have been totally misinformed though.
    That's why I'm posting this...to get opinions from others.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    yeah the gyro can be very sensitive, you have to tone it down for more speed otherwise that will happen.

I really have no idea on the top speed, definitely above 70mph for sure, I wouldn't be surprised if I hit 90

time will tell, these gps units are taking forever to come in stock
    Last edited by TQi; 03-09-2013 at 09:09 AM.