RC poster

New guy on the block

So I am new here and sorta new to RC. First a bit about myself. Im 18 my car is a 2012 mustang v6 my pride and joy that I am slowly modding. I cut about 20 lawns and work at the local super market. I want to become a funeral director when I am older.

Now onto the RC side. When I was about 10 or 11 I got a electric stampede. It was cool btu even back then I wanted nitro. Dad did not want to deal with it sooo the stampede kinda went to the way side. But now I suddenly wanted a rc again because of the snow and such. So I hit up craigslist and found a revo 3.3. After talking to the guy I got it for $160 and traded my bose sound dock that I have not used it months. It comes with a quick starter and battery (no charger). Two boxes of parts both stock and i think up graded. Got to sort through that! And the original reciever. Also, a roll cage. But I have to fab up a mount for the rear part of the cage. Oh and the body. I wouldnt say it is pristine but it is nice.
    My goal for this revo is to have something I can take out and will start everytime but also a little fun cheaper side project to the car.
    I am heading to the hobby stop in about 2.5 hours and picking up stuff. Some glow plugs, maybe half a gallon of fuel. A fuel bottle. After run oil. A battery charger (quick charger). Planning to hopefully get out of there for around $100 give or take.

Now for how it runs. I am in NJ and last night around 6 or so I was screwing with it. maybe 35* out. Started stall started stall. Started no power. Warmed up a minute or two and it was going pretty well in what seems to be first gear. But as it reaches upper RPMs it stalls out. Idk if it is cold or running lean. As long as the guy is reasonable I will have him tune it (how long does it take a pro?). Then from there I will learn how to do it.

Opinions? Thanks all!
    -Ryan

RC poster
    P4DE
    2-Honcho's
    OS21TM Revo
    Blade MSR/MSR-X

RC Champion
    Tuning your engine is a fine art! It takes practice and patience. It's not a "one and done" thing. You have to do some tuning pretty much every time you run it, because the temperature, barometer, humidity, etc. are not always going to be the same. Here's the forum FAQ on tuning. Good luck and welcome:

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ul-Tuning-tips.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Racer
    its prob not tuned. i'd just go to factory needle settings for the high and low, and then try starting. also check the idle screw, maybe throw the trim up first on the remote just to start it so its slightly more open. if it doesn't start, try going a little richer.. if that doesn't work, a little more, if that doesn't, eaner, little leaner, etc, til it starts. once it starts on the low, and its idling fine, then adjust the high on the same way.

i wouldn't spend any money having it tuned, just do it yourself. that's really the only way you'll learn. if you ahve him do it, you're just gonna start twisting the screws either way til it starts but you're not really going to know what that means, or how little of a movement will make a difference.

RC Qualifier
    If it was stalling at speed it may be to lean. As the tank empties the truck will progressively lean out. Also may check for leaks in the fuel system. Need to set the adjustments back to stock and start over. I go in this order when tuning. HSN-LSN-Idle-HSN with a fast pass in between each adjustment 1/8 turn on HSN and 1/16 turn on LSN. A way i was taught to remember rich/lean in auto school for making adjustments is, " look at your belly, push belly/turn screw out is rich/fat, suck belly/turn screw in is lean". There is a real good guide (i thought i saved the link) for tuning. Should always tune at half tank. Also need to get a temp gun. Ive driven my truck at no problems at 15* out and on the other hand have had to wrap the engine in foil at 30. Just depends on the humidity. My truck seem to run the best around 180-200*. If you learn the art of tuning you will have a much better time when you go out bashing.

So hopefully someone will post that tuning guide.
    Last edited by NvDesertRat96; 02-12-2013 at 01:59 PM.
    " You just got passed by a Traxxas"

RC Competitor
    Make sure you have a fresh glow plug, fresh nitro and it would't hurt to start at factory carb settings. Be patient, you will need to make tune adjustments regularly as the weather changes but that is part of the fun and part of the hobby. Get a temp gun as well. The Tuning flow chart posted above looks good too.

RC Racer
    i cut the top of an old sock off, the elastic part, and wrap it around the head. it lets the engine run warmer, so i can run richer.

RC poster
    ok well he tuned it for free since i picked up 20% nitro
    new filter
    glow plug (medium)
    a gas pourer
    and a charger
    He seemed sort of knowledgable older guy but i wouldnt say top of the line guy. I figure I can tune doesnt seem that hard keep checking after every small turn.
    It still starts a lil hard, but seems to idle much better. It ran the most just before once warmed up it really started to book. But still stalls at high speed the guy said oh it is cold. So I would need to adjust the HSN. Im not looking for a speed demon much rather go 55 tops but have a longer life then 65 and shorten it will start reading and I have a infared gun but it was 35 $ from pep boys. hit my fridge and it was only a degree or two off

RC Racer
    don't be afraid to turn the needles...how much smoke is it making at high speed? if its a lot, go lean. if its none, go rich. same goes for low. as for stalling, that really depends on the idle screw, but can be affected by the low needle slightly.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    don't be afraid to turn the needles...how much smoke is it making at high speed? if its a lot, go lean. if its none, go rich. same goes for low. as for stalling, that really depends on the idle screw, but can be affected by the low needle slightly.
    Making a nice stream though the range. I am pretty sure yoy want smoke i read tht somewhere.
    And which screw the hsn?

The Super Derecho

RC poster
    read them over understand the concept. So I made a video it is uploading now.
    But also it seems liek fuel is leaking out the bottom. it was also spurting out the exhaust (meaning rich?).
    But watch the video and then give me your opinions
    Oh I think I fried electronics on the truck. So well I needed a new one anyway (had stock 27Hz?) Any reccomendations?
    If I could keep it under 300 spent on top of the truck purchase I will be happy. So spent $94 (gallon of gas, gas bottle, filter, charger, glow plug, and some other little things). So maybe $150 for the new transmitter and reciever?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYE9Zz5PrW8
    Last edited by Double G; 02-13-2013 at 03:24 PM. Reason: merge, usage of edit button would work too

RC Qualifier
    you should never have fuel leaking from anywhere. Drain the tank, Unhook the fuel line from the pipe and carb. Spray soapy water all around the tank and blow through the system from the pipe side while blocking the carb side with your finger. It sounds likes its stalling from being fuel staved. The pipe pushes pulses of air through the tank acting like a fuel pump. If the fuel system is not air tight its gonna starve for fuel. Thats where id start before deciding anything else. DOnt dump money into it till its full diagosed. As far as RX/TX goes 2.4ghz is probably cheapest on ebay.
    " You just got passed by a Traxxas"

RC Racer
    ok, on the low, it sounds like its rich, its sputtering. a lot of smoke also, but if its spitting gas out the exhaust, that means that its not burning, which means its too rich. the low needle is on the carb itself, the high is what sticks up where the fuel goes in.

at high speed, it sounds like it could be either too rich or too lean. my guess though is too lean? it sounds like its struggling to get gas to me. maybe someone else has a better opinion. but either way, set it to stock and see how it runs there, and then depending on the smoke go rich or lean. if there's no smoke before it stalls, go rich. if there's a lot of smoke and it stalls, go lean.

and just to be sure, clockwise is lean, counter is rich.

i very rarely have to touch the high on mine for temp changes or humidity, but sometimes on the low side i do. its about to snow here, so i'm gonna play with it later and probably gonna have to give it a slight adjustment if its stalling.

oh and yeah, i didn't catch you said its leaking out the bottom.. of the tank? you have to check that out, it shouldn't have fuel coming out of anywhere. check the fuel lines, check the tank, etc. make sure that its not leaking, because if its leaking, that means that the fuel system isn't pressurizing, and then its going to run like crap because it can't get the fuel that its asking for.

also, if you're gonna run near water, you have to protect the radio and whatnot. i wrap them in supermarket plastic bags, i cut out a square, and wrap them and twist it and wrap again, and back and forth cover them, taping in the middle, and then i put some marine grease in the wires, zip tie them tight, tape over it, etc... its not 100% waterPROOF, but its splash proof. i tend to run in the snow a lot so i don't want the melting snow getting in there. as for a replacement, i'm gonna go with a cheap flysky gt3b for like 50 bucks, since i already have a radio that will also work with it for my hpi rs4.
    Last edited by ou2mame; 02-13-2013 at 05:42 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ONMY6 View Post
    read them over understand the concept. So I made a video it is uploading now.
    But also it seems liek fuel is leaking out the bottom. it was also spurting out the exhaust (meaning rich?).
    But watch the video and then give me your opinions
    Oh I think I fried electronics on the truck. So well I needed a new one anyway (had stock 27Hz?) Any reccomendations?
    If I could keep it under 300 spent on top of the truck purchase I will be happy. So spent $94 (gallon of gas, gas bottle, filter, charger, glow plug, and some other little things). So maybe $150 for the new transmitter and reciever?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYE9Zz5PrW8
    I just watched your video. That bog when you making a high speed pass was because your HSN is lean. You might want to try rich-en the hsn and leaning the lsn a little. Also a hot glow plug helps with idling. When it's cold out you want to rich-en your settings. You might want to put a sock or some foil on the cooling head to keep some heat in the engine. Where in jersey are you?
    Jato 3.3, Revo .28 JL Max, Nitro Stampede 3.3

RC poster
    Cool thanks a lot guys as I said earlier my radio system is basically fried right now lol so prob 2 weeks or so before I can get it up and running again.
    I am exit 135 on the GSP Garwood But if you know westfield then you know where I am.
    Want me to come to you and pay you to tune it xD
    As per the leak on the bottom of the motor it seems. I brought it into a class today and it was like a gray concrete floor and I saw it spitting bits of what seems to be nitro out....But I remembered there is a plastic tube of my exhaust and I creased it to go under the car for some reason and that could be it
    But in the mean time I think I will be ripping it apart and cleaning it and maybe the rust parts and beat up parts I will replace.

RC poster
    double post

RC Competitor
    Like the other posts said, it appears your High Speed needle is too lean and the Low Speed needle is too rich. Go back to factory carb settings, tune with tank half full and start with the High Speed needle then move on to the Low Speed Needle. The links Double G posted explain it all in detail.

RC poster
    Ok maybe onto a new topic... I think I busted a servo or something today.... the traxxas opti drive... So after screwing around in the snow and it cut out yet again. I turned it on and it would nto rev. I try turning and the opti drive sensor light started flashing all colors and would only turn to the left maybe 5* if that and not to the right.
    Would it be a servo or opti drive. I busted. Becuase if it is not my receiver I will cancel with traxxas.

RC Champion
    dead battery?
    you know.. i never had a sig.. but i do now...

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by kgombe1 View Post
    dead battery?
    now looking into it more maybe when i turn the the steering knob it flashes red meaning low battery and then solid red after.
    Only problem is I do not have a charger for that battery...

RC Racer
    yeah your battery is dead most likely. you're gonna have to get a charger lol.. i bought a few battery packs for about 11 a piece, and a charger for i think 12 on ebay, so its not super expensive. you can run a aa pack, but if you have a flat pack, you can just tape it to the handle (thats what i did until they came in the mail). check the tank for leaks though... i'm actually about to diagnose that myself now because i crashed into my friend's slayer pro and my truck would stall at about half a tank afterwards so i think that there's a crack in it now there's definitely a plastic crease in it.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    yeah your battery is dead most likely. you're gonna have to get a charger lol.. i bought a few battery packs for about 11 a piece, and a charger for i think 12 on ebay, so its not super expensive. you can run a aa pack, but if you have a flat pack, you can just tape it to the handle (thats what i did until they came in the mail). check the tank for leaks though... i'm actually about to diagnose that myself now because i crashed into my friend's slayer pro and my truck would stall at about half a tank afterwards so i think that there's a crack in it now there's definitely a plastic crease in it.
    So i had a charger for the stampede and also a charger fpr this type of connector for my e flight cx2 heli but that is gone i mibht just get an adapter

RC Racer
    half my adapters i made with old batteries and switch assemblies that i no longer needed.

RC poster
    soo i went to my lhs and well he said i might have a broken seal on the engine

RC Racer
    i'm in long island bring it here haha

RC poster
    i hate the bridge but maybe. I gotta seal with this seal thing